Advice Request Norton Security - Web Guard: Is it any good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I have tried Norton lately. i think it is good product but i am so angry of its web filter. i tested its web filter with some malicious links from malcode database and found these:
-when i open the malicious link,the page opens and after 2 seconds norton blocks the page (i am so upset of this delay)
-after the page was blocked, the malware was able to load on my system

I think this web filter needs to improve. The web filter of Eset, Kaspersky and G-data are better than Norton.
I want to know if there is something wrong with my system or that is the way Norton handles the threats?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I'm not positive but I believe I've seen video of other testers have this same issue with Norton being delayed at blocking malicious links.

I'd highly doubt it is your system. If other AV aren't doing this than it is just a Norton thing.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Norton has had so many obvious bugs that make it look like a half-baked product

if you don't want any delay, you should install norton safe web extension for chrome and firefox. However, why not blocking the threat without the extension? No other product, except panda, we have to install a standalone extension for webfilter. Avira pro can filter without the extension

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Norton has had so many obvious bugs that make it look like a half-baked product

if you don't want any delay, you should install norton safe web extension for chrome and firefox. However, why not blocking the threat without the extension? No other product, except panda, we have to install a standalone extension for webfilter. Avira pro can filter without the extension
you are absolutely right.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

For some reason something sticks in my head and not even sure if it was true or not. Back in the day I heard Peter Norton sold the first windows version to Bill Gates for around 40 grand and was one of the only AV's around at the time nut if this is true, then all those Windows haters would hate Norton too?

Reactions: frogboy

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Well i loved Norton but i ditched it, keeps crashing, so have to restart, with the crash NO protection available and NO pop up showing it crashed. I love the lightness and the protection but when its offline, you are totally exposed to all the threats. Shame shame Norton.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Norton has bugs.. Lots of bugs.

Delayed notification/detection is ridiculous. For example in testing I would hit it with 3 pieces of malware. It would show a popup for one, then nothing.. About 15 minutes later another.. Another 5 minutes, the third one.. Seriously. It exhibited the same behavior on Web Blocking, sometimes taking a half hour to notify.

But the bugs are precious.. For example it is well known that randomly Norton simply won't register itself after installation. Hundreds of threads regarding this and support can take up to 3 hours to resolve it trying a wide variety of fixes. That bug goes back half a decade!

Then add to the consistent rollbacks on updates lately.. Norton has so much potential, but they seem to be just lazy.. I'd run Norton in a second as my primary AV if it wasn't so buggy (or if I could even register it), and they didn't keep making stupid mistakes.

I

illumination

As others have stated, Norton has many more bugs then most users realize, and some are quite serious. I had it back on my system, as i happen to like Norton, a few days ago, and ended up pulling it back off the day after i installed it due to a few bugs i ran into, and some odd occurrences like Norton running a full scan, opening History in the advanced section and the product quit responding, froze completely, and crashed, had to restart it manually.

As for the webfilter, i did not use the toolbar/extensions for the browsers, and relied on ublock with custom filters instead.

Norton is big enough, and well funded, the name itself carries much weight, why they do not take this seriously and sink some talent and funds into improving the product and support is beyond me.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Norton was always garbage. Then several years back it started to get lightweight and quality. About 4 years ago it got really good. Then over the last year or two it's slid down.. Down.. Down..

A few years ago these long, extended validation/insight delays weren't there.. Now it's every file.. It took 18 minutes to validate EICAR on my test machine DMZ'd on a 500Mbps pipe.. Seriously.

Norton is almost unusable right now and I pity people trying to make a go of it..

Reactions: ZeroDay and L0ckJaw

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Using a toolbar should not be needed. Some AV dont even use a toolbar or extension for webguarding.
G-Data does not need one. Eset does not need one. Why should Norton force you one ? Data collecting i pressume.

Reactions: ZeroDay and amico81
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Using a toolbar should not be needed. Some AV dont even use a toolbar or extension for webguarding.
G-Data does not need one. Eset does not need one. Why should Norton force you one ? Data collecting i pressume.

Norton works without toolbar, it serves no purpose from what I can tell. AV's intercept at the port level for filtration. Personally for me, I could care less if my AV scanned web traffic, and probably would prefer they don't. I have like 5 layers of scanning of all traffic already anyway.

Toolbars should never be required.

Reactions: ZeroDay and L0ckJaw

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
The first page that opens after installing Norton is the toolbar download page

Reactions: ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The first page that opens after installing Norton is the toolbar download page

That's an annoyance. It will keep asking you to install it until you check 'don't ask me again'.

This is the kind of thing that makes me not use a companies junkware.. Avira, I tried their new privacy tool and what gets installed? That stupid perpetually running useless 'launcher' application. Removed that trash in 2 seconds.

The AV market needs a good house cleaning, it's in a sad state.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
in my opinion it's current difficult to find a stable, bugs-free and discreet antivirus (n) the customer is the fool :mad:

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

And so who was one of the first AV's , Norton, right ? they have unlimited funds , right? what I am gearing here is that they are now scum bags? as far as I know they make many other things besides an AV. Imaging software, remote connect software ect ect. Even though I was one of their first beta testers back in the 90's I would not down talk them for their AV solution alone. while beta testing their products, they always sent a shiny new box for free of their software and sometimes items like a shiny new letter opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.