App Review Avira Pro 2017 - no cloud - quick test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I've never seen any evidence of a behaviour blocker in Avira.
I won't bash them too much on their anti-ransomware protection because as we've seen plenty of times products that claim to protect against ransomware fail spectacularly.

According to Avira it exists:
Q&A - Avira Behaviour Blocker?
Avira Answers
https://malwaretips.com/attachments/avira-png.142749/
Maybe it's just terrible. Who knows.
I don't believe it too. I don't see nay BB or antiransomware module in avira
perhaps they implement something on their cloud only for paid versions? free version's cloud probably lacks something
I don't know if they have a license for metascan 8, 12, 16 or 20 engines to improve the detection rate on the cloud like zemana does

we don't know

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I don't see nay BB or antiransomware module in avira
I wouldn't doubt they have a anti-ransomware module but I'm betting it's just not very effective. Never seen any kind of behavioural detection by Avira though.

perhaps they implement somwthing on their cloud only for paid versions? free version's cloud probably lacks something
According to them it's the same cloud scanning for both free and paid versions.

I don't know if they have a license for metascan 8, 12, 16 or 20 engines to improve the detection rate on the cloud like zemana does
As far as I'm aware it's just their own technology powering their cloud analysis. Never seen or heard any mentions of multiple engines.

Regardless, even if it does have all this technology built in it doesn't really matter if Avira doesn't do a good job at protecting its consumers. It's signatures are obviously good and its cloud scanning is decent but the fact that its mechanistic protections are almost non-existent stops me from recommending it.

Last edited:

I've never seen any evidence of a behaviour blocker in Avira.
I won't bash them too much on their anti-ransomware protection because as we've seen plenty of times products that claim to protect against ransomware fail spectacularly.

According to Avira it exists:
Q&A - Avira Behaviour Blocker?
Avira Answers
https://malwaretips.com/attachments/avira-png.142749/
Maybe it's just terrible. Who knows.

They're not exposed - and therefore not as apparent - as is the case with other security softs.

They're not at the same level as other security softs - like Emsisoft's behavior blocker or Kaspersky System Watcher - but they are there.

Avira cloud query is invoked only when files meeting certain criteria are first executed.

For the criteria ask Avira - as I don't know specifically what all the criteria are.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.