Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariihh

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Hello everyone, I am in doubt between two antivirus, Avira Pro or Norton, I usually do bank transactions over the internet and etc, I looked at some tests and noticed that both have good scores, which is the experience of yours that is better than mine , what license should I buy? Thank you :giggle:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Norton, no doubt, mainly for you to do banking transactions, Norton is a suite of complete security and respect. From all my experience with anti-virus testing against all kinds of pest, Norton, G Data and Kaspersky were the most complete and effective in the fight against viruses, they are the 3 that I would trust to protect my machine.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

If I had to choose just between these two products, it would be Norton for me as well. I would still suggest to maybe try both and see for yourself which one you like most, but Symantec (Norton) has a lot more going for it on the protection front. As others have already mentioned they have SONAR which is very good and Norton in general compared to Avira has been keeping up and continues to add new technology, where as Avria really hasn't done too much with their product (developing new tech) for a while IMO.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

If you can afford it, grab Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud. It's Norton but with encrypted update channels, dashboard, granular settings and some additional tech. It's an amalgam of Norton+Symantec Endpoint Protection+Symantec Small Business Edition. It's also exceptionally lightweight, and when you drag the firewall slider up to maximum only trusted processes can access the internet. Best of all, SEPC doesn't seem to get the botched updates Norton sometimes gets, and doesn't have any of the bugs Norton has. SEPC has a 60 day trial and if you select 'per user' it's only $4 (or less) a month for 5 computers. Well worth it.

I agree with everyone here.. Norton by far, but if you can swing it, SEPC.

Some of the worst infected machines I have found were Norton ones, so listen when someone says it won't be a good choice on an already compromised box as it's ability to deal with infections once they've taken hold is ABYSMAL in my experience. But on a clean machine, you're going to be fine with it of course.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
If I had to choose just between these two products, it would be Norton for me as well. I would still suggest to maybe try both and see for yourself which one you like most, but Symantec (Norton) has a lot more going for it on the protection front. As others have already mentioned they have SONAR which is very good and Norton in general compared to Avira has been keeping up and continues to add new technology, where as Avria really hasn't done too much with their product (developing new tech) for a while IMO.
Exactly this ^^ Avira just hasn't kept up with other products, whereas Symantec completely re-wrote Norton. I personally don't use either product, but, as I said above if I had to choose between the two in would be Norton. Avira need to do some serious work on their products, they're already behind most products and if they don't start improving their products with better zero day protection I really can't see them being around 5 years from now.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I tested SEPC (Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud) last night on one of my AV test boxes I setup here in the home lab.. They did some big work on the AI/ML recently, the thing snags everything I threw at it last night. So maybe that is worth the paltry $4 or so a month if you really want to experience Norton at it's finest.

I really have nothing bad to say about Norton except that it's cleanup isn't the best post infection, but unless you are a total buffoon, you should probably not get infected with Norton on a box and NEVER should be infected with SEPC operating.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Are there issues with other users ie family?

'Users' is just a bucket phrase for collecting people in an endpoint product so you can more easily qualify their devices. For the home user, just dump everyone under one user and forget about it.

But yeah, 5 devices for $4 a month (under one user, which is a meaningless phrase) is a steal in the enterprise market, SEPC is totally worth it IMO.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I agree with everyone here.. Norton by far, but if you can swing it, SEPC.

Sly, as you know, I respect your technical prowess. But.... you're not the Norton expert that my old buddy Mayahana is. Here's what Mayahana says about this:

I don't have an entirely positive experience with SEP. It's on a few thousand of the machines we manage. If I dial insight up it nags, and provides allow exclusions. The PUP/PUA detection in SEP seems a step behind Norton... and SEP seems more reliant on signatures then Norton..

SEP isn't anything like Norton.. from my experience. The technology in SEP Is heavily dependent on managed clients, but also the SEP technology is much more dated in some respects than (Norton), SEP doesn't have nearly as potent of a reputation engine, and it's insight features are quite dated.

The reason the development cycles on enterprise endpoints is so slow is because they can't break anything. Millions of dollars are at stake, and even a slight 'fracture' of something can cost a company thousands of dollars a minute. So basically EP products ARE using early 2000's technology in comparison to desktop.

Refer to Mayahana's Norton thread at Triple Hernia's Message Board (the dying message board) as the source.

And I agree with Mayahana... as somebody who has run both SEP and Norton, I'd go with Norton... especially if you go with the 5 or 10 license packs -- as you get additional capabilities that you don't with SEP.

I did like the granularity in adjustments with SEP better though.

And you can get Norton Premium (10 licenses) at Amazon for $40 right now. That includes licenses for cell phones.... cloud backup... stuff SEP does not give you. And at a better price.

You're Welcome.

Your Old Buddy,

-Burrito

Last edited:

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Norton is very light and is very efficient. I don't know why people still use Avira. I'd use the free version if I had to and would not pay; I admit their signatures database is very huge and updated but look at their bloatware and no behavioral protection. Norton with Sonar and firewall is a better choice in this case

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I just installed avira pro for one test. Very good performance. first impressions pretty good. And luke johnniewalker das not exist:).
avira gui.jpg
ram.jpg
real time protection.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

And I agree with Mayahana... as somebody who has run both SEP and Norton, I'd go with Norton... especially if you go with the 5 or 10 license packs -- as you get additional capabilities that you don't with SEP.

I did like the granularity in adjustments with SEP better though.

And you can get Norton Premium (10 licenses) at Amazon for $40 right now. That includes licenses for cell phones.... cloud backup... stuff SEP does not give you. And at a better price.

You're Welcome.

Your Old Buddy,

-Burrito

SEPC not SEP... Different beasts - entirely so. I'd always recommend SEPC over Norton for a variety of reasons. For 5 devices one can get the power of SEPC which offers far more than Norton and not the ridiculous bugs and flawed updates of Norton. If SEPC is not an option, then of course, Norton.

60 Day Free Trial for SEPC is available.

https://securitycloud.symantec.com/cc/#/landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.