Troubleshoot Avira Safe Search Plus chrome extension problem

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Recently I installed Avira free antivirus for 2 days. after that I uninstalled it, but now problem is with its extension Avira Safe search plus. I have removed it from my chrome browser so many times. but still it is showing in chrome every time and giving option of enable or remove. Every time I removed but whenever I restart my browser it is there. I thoroughly uninstalled but i dont how it automatically get installed without any permission. screenshot is attached. how to reomove it? It is very annoying.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,085
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've had this happen with a couple of extensions in the past. Install IObit Uninstaller, click on Toolbars & Plug-ins and click on the green trash can icon next to Avira Safe Search. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Edit: If that didn't help: Allow Avira Safe Search to install itself again, go into the extensions menu, tick developer mode, make a note of the ID of Avira Safe Search, then go into C:\Users\[Your Windows Account Name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions and delete the folder with the same ID.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
I've had this happen with a couple of extensions in the past. Install IObit Uninstaller, click on Toolbars & Plug-ins and click on the green trash can icon next to Avira Safe Search. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Edit: If that didn't help: Allow Avira Safe Search to install itself again, go into the extensions menu, tick developer mode, make a note of the ID of Avira Safe Search, then go into C:\Users\[Your Windows Account Name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions and delete the folder with the same ID.
Brother did all the steps. still it is showing..

Go to chrome://extensions/ on your browser
Click the trash can icon on Avira safe search plus
Everytime I did this. but still not get rid of it

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

Besides uninstalling Chrome and deleting all associated files and folders (which I assume you don't want to do) I think your best bet would be to install it and just disable it.

Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
I ran both the tools stil problem is not solved. here is the screenshot..How pathetic avira is

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,274
Upvote 0

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Open up Chrome and go to the settings tab at the bottom hou will Find the setting reset settings when you do this chrome will be in the original state you once installed it in be sure to export your favorite webpages first all will be gone after the reset.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm also experiencing issues with Chrome sync, any deleted Bookmark reappears upon next launch. Using latest stable x64 build.

Are your Chrome settings synced with your Google account?

Reactions: maanastr
Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
I'm also experiencing issues with Chrome sync, any deleted Bookmark reappears upon next launch. Using latest stable x64 build.

Are your Chrome settings synced with your Google account?
No.

Open up Chrome and go to the settings tab at the bottom hou will Find the setting reset settings when you do this chrome will be in the original state you once installed it in be sure to export your favorite webpages first all will be gone after the reset.
Thanks but problem is still there.

Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
What if you keep the Unwanted extension disabled?
I did that.I disabled all except ublock and zenmate. But still it showing that New extension added ( Avira safe shopping). you can see it in attached screenshot

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 871
Reactions: Ink
Upvote 0

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Open CCleaner, go to Tools and click on Browser Plugins in menu. Click on tab Google Chrome, select Avira extensions and click on button Delete.

Reactions: Winter Soldier
Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Open CCleaner, go to Tools and click on Browser Plugins in menu. Click on tab Google Chrome, select Avira extensions and click on button Delete.
Strange thing as it is not showing in the list of browser plungins of ccleaner.

From this post it appears that it installed from Avira Connect, are you able to Change Installation of Avira Connect to remove the Unwanted extensions?
I have already uninstall avira connect by using Revo Uninstaller pro

Upvote 0

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Try reinstalling Avira AV, and then use Revo Unistaller Pro (trial) and uninstall Avira by removing all the leftovers and reboot your computer.
Then try to remove Avira Safe Search again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marko :)
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.