Troubleshoot Avira Safe Search Plus chrome extension problem

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Recently I installed Avira free antivirus for 2 days. after that I uninstalled it, but now problem is with its extension Avira Safe search plus. I have removed it from my chrome browser so many times. but still it is showing in chrome every time and giving option of enable or remove. Every time I removed but whenever I restart my browser it is there. I thoroughly uninstalled but i dont how it automatically get installed without any permission. screenshot is attached. how to reomove it? It is very annoying.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,078
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Recently I installed Avira free antivirus for 2 days. after that I uninstalled it, but now problem is with its extension Avira Safe search plus. I have removed it from my chrome browser so many times. but still it is showing in chrome every time and giving option of enable or remove. Every time I removed but whenever I restart my browser it is there. I thoroughly uninstalled but i dont how it automatically get installed without any permission. screenshot is attached. how to remove it? It is very annoying.
Hello,
Fist off all make sure your extensions aren't synced. Also Avira Antivirus is not installed on your device right? Next, can you go through these options:

OPTION 1: Run the Chrome Cleanup Tool, then deleted the Avira folders from Chrome extension folder by navigating to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
The Avira extension ID should be: ipmkfpcnmccejididiaagpgchgjfajgp and ccbpbkebodcjkknkfkpmfeciinhidaeh

OPTION 2: Did you try to use Revo Uninstaller Freeware to remove Chrome, and delete all the left over files and registry keys?

OPTION 3: You can also manually uninstall Chrome, then delete all the files from the below locations.
(Before doing this make sure you backup your bookmarks, if you have any)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome and
  • C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome or the entire Google folder. Or open Run and type in %LOCALAPPDATA%
Next:
  1. Open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows Key + R type regedit and click OK.
  2. Find:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google and delete it by right clicking it and selecting delete.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google and delete it by right clicking it and selecting delete.
  3. Click File > Exit
  4. Restart your PC
Install Chrome again from this link:
Install Chrome offline on Windows - Google Chrome Help

Let me know if any of these options has helped you.

Let also tag the Avira developer, @Kirill Krechetnikov, maybe he can help.

Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Recently I installed Avira free antivirus for 2 days. after that I uninstalled it, but now problem is with its extension Avira Safe search plus. I have removed it from my chrome browser so many times. but still it is showing in chrome every time and giving option of enable or remove. Every time I removed but whenever I restart my browser it is there. I thoroughly uninstalled but i dont how it automatically get installed without any permission. screenshot is attached. how to reomove it? It is very annoying.

Look at this @Kirill Krechetnikov

Upvote 0

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Hello,
Fist off all make sure your extensions aren't synced. Also Avira Antivirus is not installed on your device right? Next, can you go through these options:

OPTION 1: Run the Chrome Cleanup Tool, then deleted the Avira folders from Chrome extension folder by navigating to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
The Avira extension ID should be: ipmkfpcnmccejididiaagpgchgjfajgp and ccbpbkebodcjkknkfkpmfeciinhidaeh

OPTION 2: Did you try to use Revo Uninstaller Freeware to remove Chrome, and delete all the left over files and registry keys?

OPTION 3: You can also manually uninstall Chrome, then delete all the files from the below locations.
(Before doing this make sure you backup your bookmarks, if you have any)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome and
  • C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome or the entire Google folder. Or open Run and type in %LOCALAPPDATA%
Next:
  1. Open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows Key + R type regedit and click OK.
  2. Find:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google and delete it by right clicking it and selecting delete.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google and delete it by right clicking it and selecting delete.
  3. Click File > Exit
  4. Restart your PC
Install Chrome again from this link:
Install Chrome offline on Windows - Google Chrome Help

Let me know if any of these options has helped you.

Let also tag the Avira developer, @Kirill Krechetnikov, maybe he can help.
Thanks for the help. I will do these steps and will infrm after that

Reactions: Marko :) and Jack
Upvote 0

snorkyfab

Oct 2, 2022
Hello, I've fixed the issue finally.

It's not really avira the problem, I had the same issue with mac afee web advisor and avira extensions. It's more when the uninstall of the extensions didn't work well, then chrome each time you open it will reinstall automatically the extensions.

- Install session buddy (just to back up your tabs)
- Sync your account on gmail, so it will keep all your extensions and bookmarks, you save your session and export it on the desktop
- Uninstall chrome
- Execute "regedit" to open the register editor and delete this folder :
Ordinateur\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions
- Launch CC cleaner to clean the registery
- Install a fresh google chrome
- Open chrome, then close it
- Open chrome, delete the extensions, avira and the others will be there it's possible, close it
- Reopen Chrome and this time nothing is coming back

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.