Battle Avira Total Security vs F-Secure?

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
As from today i can get f secure for free but i still have a license from Avira for 300 days...
( Emsisoft 200 Kaspersky 120 Bitdefender 95 ) lol

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I think you should stay with Avira if you feel protected and it does work well.
We've discussed a lot about Avira Pro and since you've bought it, why not continue using it?

Fsecure is another great product, with BD engine, but it does have good amount of FPs from the DeepGuard. I am ignoring it for now and want to ask you why do you consider switching?
If you wish to improvise on your layered protection, complement yours with VDS or similar lockdown apps.
Selected Avira!

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I think you should stay with Avira if you feel protected and it does work well.
We've discussed a lot about Avira Pro and since you've bought it, why not continue using it?

Fsecure is another great product, with BD engine, but it does have good amount of FPs from the DeepGuard. I am ignoring it for now and want to ask you why do you consider switching?
If you wish to improvise on your layered protection, complement yours with VDS or similar lockdown apps.
Selected Avira!
Is deepguard good?

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I used F-Secure Safe before G Data, had a good experience with it, simple interface, good performance and great protection. My choice is F-Secure easy, Avira is the same always, outdated interface e Avira Connect is bizarre for today's times.
I agree with your point about the simplicity of Fsecure.
FYI, the OP has Avira Total Security purchased, so it won't have the junk that the free Avira AV packages.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I used F-Secure Safe before G Data, had a good experience with it, simple interface, good performance and great protection. My choice is F-Secure easy, Avira is the same always, outdated interface e Avira Connect is bizarre for today's times.
I dont care about gui 2, the f secure rebrand has a ugly interface.

So its only about protection. Look at my post above ;)

Also yes gdata is good but you better dont get ransonware on your way because it fails badly against it.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaceoctopus

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I dont care about gui 2, the f secure rebrand has a ugly interface.

So its only about protection. Look at my post above ;)

Also yes gdata is good but you better dont get ransonware on your way because it fails badly against it.
Sorry, I forgot to mention the protection of Avira, in my tests did not go very well, not only in 0-day, but also in new samples, and in the latest AV-TEST test was also very bad: AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Sorry, I forgot to mention the protection of Avira, in my tests did not go very well, not only in 0-day, but also in new samples, and in the latest AV-TEST test was also very bad: AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute
I've only used Avira free on home PC for long (earlier) and can say that it was decently impressive.
The Pro version has been reviewed a couple of times and the results were not 'that great', but better than the free always, due to the advanced cloud.
But coupled with an anti-exe and AI recommender like VDS, it should be fine.

Regarding the AV tests, to be honest, I take their results with big pinches of salt ;)
Their 99% and 100% results for most AVs are mind-boggling. I hope I'm not the only one such!

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Though haven't really used either one very much I would choose F-secure. All do respect, I tried Avaria for an hour and it's performance impact was awful. I'd hope to assume F-secure does better in the category. As for protection if you practice safe habits either one is good. It's really your design in what you think fits what you think is a good AV/program in general. Some of the notable members recommend trying both for about a month and see. Going with them on that. :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I tried the Fsecure SAFE promotion. Impressive 5-engine tech. When did you beta for Fsecure @_CyberGhosT_ ?

Not much is known about Fsecure (formerly Data Fellows) research but they have a great team working on research in cybercrime and the CRO, Mikko, of Fsecure has been sharing his team's intentions and progress.
I think it needs work to get to the top but it will do great in coming years.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I tried the Fsecure SAFE promotion. Impressive 5-engine tech. When did you beta for Fsecure @_CyberGhosT_ ?

Not much is known about Fsecure (formerly Data Fellows) research but they have a great team working on research in cybercrime and the CRO, Mikko, of Fsecure has been sharing his team's intentions and progress.
I think it needs work to get to the top but it will do great in coming years.
I still have access to the beta non public forums, I pop in once in a while. I think it was early 2016 or late
2015 that I stopped actively testing. That's about the time I lost interest in Sig based software, got tired of it really.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.