Avira vs Avast

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
So i bought Avira total secrurity but is Avast realy better and why? ;)
Avira has like 8 engines in the cloud but Avast has a better bb blocker i think so what is the best?

Edit: As you vote on poll pls also leave a message .. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

Avira have good signatures but Avast do have more protection components which might be beneficial. It all depends on you... If you feel that you are fairly knowledgeable and understand how to stay secure online (good practices) through watching what sites you visit and what you download then you should be fine with Avira, but if you are click-happy then maybe you could benefit from the additional content that Avast can provide.

At the end of the day there is only one person who can make the decision you are asking us, because you should use what you feel comfortable using. Aside from protection, other factors may come into place, such as: "do I trust the vendor I am relying on?" (which can include privacy).

Do research and test products out yourself, this way you'll know what you want to use and stick with. However often people here change their configs to new and better things which they find more comfortable, security can be long and forever on-going of changing configs :)

But overall Avira have decent sigs but for dynamic then it's a no no.. but do you even need additional stuff? if not then why not use WD? .. List can go on :)

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Avira has excellent signatures.
If you dont visit untrusted sites and dont download crap you are safe :cool:
I have someone in my family that does click on everything so it need to be good.

Avira have good signatures but Avast do have more protection components which might be beneficial. It all depends on you... If you feel that you are fairly knowledgeable and understand how to stay secure online (good practices) through watching what sites you visit and what you download then you should be fine with Avira, but if you are click-happy then maybe you could benefit from the additional content that Avast can provide.

At the end of the day there is only one person who can make the decision you are asking us, because you should use what you feel comfortable using. Aside from protection, other factors may come into place, such as: "do I trust the vendor I am relying on?" (which can include privacy).

Do research and test products out yourself, this way you'll know what you want to use and stick with. However often people here change their configs to new and better things which they find more comfortable, security can be long and forever on-going of changing configs :)

But overall Avira have decent sigs but for dynamic then it's a no no.. but do you even need additional stuff? if not then why not use WD? .. List can go on :)
WHy doenst avira add more zero day protection? And also as above said as answer i am safe but someone in my family clicks on everything.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Well, you can use ZAM or HMP.A with Avira/Avast but in this case you need the Avast ( and their exellent BB) not so much the signs from Avira ;)
Hmm it is a bit of work to get my money back too so is it worth it? or is there another antivirus that delivers only bb blocker for by Avira?

Reactions: Rengar

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Well, if you have already bought Avira TS then I'd like to stay with it as a logical consideration but it is your choice:)
Avast if well configured in hardened mode is very effective.

Reactions: Xsjx
W

Wave

WHy doenst avira add more zero day protection? And also as above said as answer i am safe but someone in my family clicks on everything.
Probably because Avira lack experience. Or they would have it sorted by now

Last edited by a moderator:

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Probably because Avira lack experience. I don't care if they've been around for a long time, we're in 2017 and they cannot do some simple things. When I had a discussion with an engineer employee from Avirs about a bypass, it took them a long time to discover how to compile some C++ source code in VS and to check how a basic documented Win32 API function works. I found it funny

So yeah they have great sigs but I wouldn't expect anything dynamic which works well for awhileLOL
Do you think i can best use Voodooshield by Avira? or some other software with some bahavior/ zero day protection?

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Avira is a good antivirus in protection, but has an outdated interface (in full 2017), Avira Connect is a joke. Avast now has very good behavior blocker, it has a modern interface and the one to configure it your way. I choose Avast.

amir 957

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
I choose avast
1.It has a good database (avast and avg) , Aviras database is good too
2.The web protecter is one of the bests in the market
3.Has an effective Behavior blocker now (AVG IDP)
4.Has a great cloud database now because of 400M users ( it helps so much to detect a malware by FileRep)
5.Sandbox
6.Good Firewall
7.More features
8.Better UI( and aviras is so af:confused:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.