Guide | How To Avoid Windows Screens at Start Up

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I have successfully bypassed the first Windows screen at boot time.

I now want to rid my startup of showing the window where you select the username (just before desktop shows). I have tried changing some settings, via Tweak UI and it works, but it will only bypass it after one reboot, then after a second reboot, it is right back the way it was. Any other way (without Tweak UI) I have tried it logs me on as "Administrator" and I have none of my current desktop.

There are only two use accounts on this PC; "Administrator" and the account bearing my name that I use every day as Power User.
I have no passwords for log on, switching, etc. No passwords are required. I want to keep it that way. I basically want to go from the Intel screen to my desktop, with nothing more than a black screen in between. I am half way there. I need your help for the last step.

P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
I have successfully bypassed the first Windows screen at boot time.

I now want to rid my startup of showing the window where you select the username (just before desktop shows). I have tried changing some settings, via Tweak UI and it works, but it will only bypass it after one reboot, then after a second reboot, it is right back the way it was. Any other way (without Tweak UI) I have tried it logs me on as "Administrator" and I have none of my current desktop.

There are only two use accounts on this PC; "Administrator" and the account bearing my name that I use every day as Power User.
I have no passwords for log on, switching, etc. No passwords are required. I want to keep it that way. I basically want to go from the Intel screen to my desktop, with nothing more than a black screen in between. I am half way there. I need your help for the last step.

Check PM. Might work.

olefin

Level 1
Sep 9, 2012
userpasswords2 not working or u did,nt try?

if did not try, do following:

open Run==>type: userpasswords2 ==>Uncheck the checkbox that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."==>Click the Advanced tab and uncheck "Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete"==>Click OK When the dialogue box pops up, type in your username and password ( leave it blank) .
Re

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do old Software and new Tech, not mix well?

pcjunklist said:
haha, switch to a solid state drive and you won't have that problem...

pcjunklist said:
oops, never mind just saw that your using windows xp

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
haha, switch to a solid state drive and you won't have that problem...

That time is approaching fast. I feel ya.

oops, never mind just saw that your using windows xp

Yikes. I suppose I need to upgrade to at least Win 7 to use a solid state drive? Or you just meant in order to have the startup results I want?

userpasswords2 not working or u did,nt try?

if did not try, do following:

open Run==>type: userpasswords2 ==>Uncheck the checkbox that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."==>Click the Advanced tab and uncheck "Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete"==>Click OK When the dialogue box pops up, type in your username and password ( leave it blank) .
Re

It was the first thing I tried yesterday, but to no avail. I got Biozfear's PM and tried the same thing via link and it worked. I don't know if it was my stupidity the first time, or I received incomplete instructions.

Do old Software and new Tech, not mix well?

Bwahahaha. Well, I have plenty of vegemite on hand so things work better around here; even old technology (shhhhhh, don't tell McLovin and Mr. X) :)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
couple of things. More than likely if your still running windows XP your on either sata I or II (hopefully not pata) so your not going to be able to fully take advantage of the speed increase. Also without at least Win7 your not going to have trim support and eventually (debatable) have a drive than will become slower (programs available).

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
couple of things. More than likely if your still running windows XP your on either sata I or II (hopefully not pata) so your not going to be able to fully take advantage of the speed increase. Also without at least Win7 your not going to have trim support and eventually (debatable) have a drive than will become slower (programs available).

Good to know.

I guess that gives me incentive to upgrade to Windows 7. You better believe that the advantages of a solid state drive being fully achieved is the ONLY thing that provokes me to do so.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Going from the power switch to the desktop is now just a hair over 20 seconds. At about the 24 or 25 second mark I am able to pull up websites. That is not to shabby for and ancient XP machine (wireless connection) that has been used very hard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.