Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox;bitdefender online scanner
Maintenance tools
CCleaner
D

Deleted member 178

1- Update XP to sp3 if you didnt.
2- add a Firewall, XP one is very weak, and easily bypassable.

D

Deleted member 178

ESS would be a better choice, i like its FW.

You dont want or cant upgrade to Win7 or higher?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would definitely upgrade your OS before anything else
I agree that ESS is a better choice however EAV with Windows Firewall is not a bad combo either.

Reactions: Kuttz
L

LabZero

User Account Control on XP ?

Windows XP has security vulnerabilities that will never be resolved because of end of official support.
At the moment you should at least add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free or paid to mitigate exploit attacks.

Reactions: frogboy and Kuttz

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Just add a Firewall Comodo (can be configured as per your need) or Private Firewall for example to beef up your system security. Like @Klipsh recommended, add an Anti-Exploit like malwarebytes anti-exploit free or paid to harden internet related exploits.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since you will upgrade Windows 7 in a few weeks

Then your system setup can leave same as possible, just add either Bininsoft Windows Firewall Tool or Tinywall to enhance the functionality of built in WF.

Add a backup browser with same extensions as possible.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
But OP is using XP. Would not the firewall built in XP be very weak?
Yes but this advice was after I suggested upgrading the OS before anything else.Once he has upgraded the OS EAV & Windows firewall is not a bad combo.Although I still prefer ESS

Reactions: Online_Sword

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upgrade your Windows OS (Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10), or switch to a free linux distribution - if suitable to do so.

Windows XP does not have UAC, so choosing "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)" is false information.

You don't visit malware or phishing sites, but you were infected than one month ago?
Recommend to read: Your Mouseclick Matters Guide

You can Learn [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread! (Fill in all required fields, otherwise it'll throw up an error).

Reactions: LabZero

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.