-Malwarebytes Antimalware(Free)
-Sandboxie (free)
-Shadow Defender
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome(x64)

Adguard(Integration Mode)
Ublock(all filters disabled/ Using it as script blocker)
Blur(all features disabled except Masked Mail)
HTTPS Everywhere
Free Download Manager chrome extension(disabled until needed)
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner
Wise Care 365
Privazer
File and Photo backup
One Drive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
o_O Thanks for sharing your config, but you have an anti-all pc, well is not a good idea, if i were you i would use malwarebytes into passive mode /free mode/ uninstall comodo firewall and xvirus as bitdefender total security cover what those programs does. And i would recommend you to uninstall and leave only the necessary extensions, due to the fact that they consume a lot of ram and make the browser more unstable and some time they may crash. in resume just use what you need. is not true the fact that with many antimalware soft you will be protected, it is the opposite.

Comodo and bitdefender are not good friends... having them on at the same time will cause a hole in your firewall... because none of them will be able to work correctly

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, Azure Phoenix, for an incredibly extensive configuration. Also, gricardo21's assessment brings me to consider the importance of addressing incompatibilities. Back in December 2013, as a new member, I'd learned the hard way that Bitdefender Free was incompatible (at that time) with our Windows 8 which also marked my first meeting with the diabolical Blue:eek: Screen of Death up close and personally!:oops: This lesson would not be my last as expert advice from many an experienced member and a number of wizened staff brought me to rely upon and trust Windows native AV, the ultra light Defender (aka new MSE). We had used it together with Windows Firewall to keep our 8.1 system both malware/virus free! Along with the use of what's popularly looked upon as exercising "common sense" when <clicking> or opening downloads which I've hopefully done nearly as often as I have witnessed!!;) We've since moved to Avast! AV, though Windows Firewall continues to be our first defense.:):)
Compatibility counts, but the decision is all yours. Realizing there are many many here you can turn to and rely on to share good advice whom shall not hesitate should you need ask any question during & even in the course of reading from the wealth of resources available from our forums countless threads, these are among the most rewarding parts of being a member of this significantly special community!!:):)

My tip to you, should you not already know about this, pertains to Google Chrome's built in 3rd party cookie blocker.
To activate the third party cookie blocker in Chrome, find it under "Settings".
  1. Scroll down to the bottom, & <click> Advanced Settings
  2. Beneath "Privacy" <click> Content settings
chrome-content-settings-png.22523

3. Check the box "Block third party cookies and site data".:cool:
Edit: Why not also protect your data, & mark "Keep local data only until you quit..browser"? I did!:D

Last edited:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Thank you, Azure Phoenix, for an incredibly extensive configuration. Also, gricardo21's assessment brings me to consider the importance of addressing incompatibilities. Back in December, as a new member, I'd learned the hard way that Bitdefender Free was incompatible (at that time) with our Windows 8 which also marked my first meeting with the diabolical Blue:eek: Screen of Death up close and personally!:oops: This lesson would not be my last as expert advice from many an experienced member and a number of wizened staff brought me to rely upon and trust Windows native and ultra light Defender together with Windows Firewall to keep our 8.1 system both malware/virus free! Along with the use of what's popularly thought of as common sense when <clicking> and opening trusted downloads, I've hopefully exercised nearly as much as I've witnessed!!;) We've since move to Avast! AV, though Windows Firewall continues to be our first defense.:):)
Compatibility counts, but the choice is all yours. Realizing there are many many here you can rely on to share good advice, and whom shall not hesitate should you need ask any question during or even in the course of reading from the wealth of resources available from our forums countless threads, these are among the most rewarding parts of being a member of this significantly special community!!:):)

My tip to you, should you not already know about this, pertains to Google Chrome's built in cookie blocker.
To activate the third party cookie blocker in Chrome, find it under "Settings".
  1. Scroll down to the bottom, & <click> Advanced Settings
  2. Beneath "Privacy" <click> Content settings
chrome-content-settings-png.22523

3. Check the box "Block third party cookies and site data".:cool:

Yes, indeed bitdefender is not compatible with a sort of useful software :( but i disagree with you about windows defender been enough to protect you, in my case it consumes a lot of cpu :/ and does almost nothing to zero day malware even old ones. Well since i know i think that blocking cookies in the browser by default may cause some bad surfing experience as some pages force you to use cookies prior loading their sites. Also i would point that bitdefender blocking /talking about URL/ is enough to protect against phishing and other stuff.

D

Deleted member 178

too much security kills security.

you have way too much products & addons; even in my worse paranoia period i had less than you.

just use BD with MBAM on demand (it is already more than enough) ; not saying even if you disable BD's Firewall , the drivers are still there and may conflict with Comodo FW.

ghostery is useless when you have Noscript.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
o_O Thanks for sharing your config, but you have an anti-all pc, well is not a good idea, if i were you i would use malwarebytes into passive mode /free mode/ uninstall comodo firewall and xvirus as bitdefender total security cover what those programs does. And i would recommend you to uninstall and leave only the necessary extensions, due to the fact that they consume a lot of ram and make the browser more unstable and some time they may crash. in resume just use what you need. is not true the fact that with many antimalware soft you will be protected, it is the opposite.

Comodo and bitdefender are not good friends... having them on at the same time will cause a hole in your firewall... because none of them will be able to work correctly
No bitdefender doesnt detect everything that xvirus does, Xvirus is light and works with every other antivirus.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have to agree with Umbra.Way too much which defeats the purpose.Too many browser extensions and multiple extensions that perform the same function are just not necessary.
I think just going with BIS is a positive move and trimming some extensions and other programs you will have a good config :)

Azure

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Thank you all. I was actually thinking of getting rid of some addons, but I wanted a little more incentive before doing so.

Here's the ones I decided to get rid off:

F.B. Purity - Cleans up Facebook 9.3.2
Facebook Phishing Protector 4.4.3
Flashblock 1.5.17
Ghostery 5.4.1
Omnibar 0.7.28.20141004
Private Tab 0.1.7.3
Qualys BrowserCheck 1.9.20.1

As for the all Bitdefender/Comodo compatibility issue talked about here. While it's true that there's distinct possibilty of a problem occuring, I have yet to have any during the months I had them together with those settings. However if a problem does occur, I will try to take in consideration all of you guys's and gals's helpful advice.

Once again, thank you all for your concerns and good-natured hearts. May God bless you all

I only hope you can listen to a music on media player without getting a notification from one of your software :p

No problem so far. I have been able to play music on my media player without any repercussions

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well let's consider that the computer knowledge stated to be basic, so assume its really a full protected sefup. ;) Majority of tools are capable to use during heavenly infections and better not to stay in a clean system.

Reactions: Logethica

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
No bitdefender doesnt detect everything that xvirus does, Xvirus is light and works with every other antivirus.

thats why we have IDS an AVC

As for the all Bitdefender/Comodo compatibility issue talked about here. While it's true that there's distinct possibilty of a problem occuring, I have yet to have any during the months I had them together with those settings. However if a problem does occur, I will try to take in consideration all of you guys's and gals's helpful advice.

You dont have to wait a BSOD to know that there are some compatibility issues... based on my experience I can tell you that both (on) firewalls are not a really good idea, due to priority pattern one will be the chief and the other will be useless

Azure

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Uninstalled:

Unchecky
WinPatrol(free)
Xvirus Personal Guard

Also disabled Malwarebytes 2 Premium real-time protections. Will know use it as an on-demand scanner

Reactions: Logethica and Kent

Azure

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
thats why we have IDS an AVC

You dont have to wait a BSOD to know that there are some compatibility issues... based on my experience I can tell you that both (on) firewalls are not a really good idea, due to priority pattern one will be the chief and the other will be useless
Which is why the Bitdefender firewall has been turned OFF

Action Center currently reports:
Bitdefender firewall - Off
Comodo firewall - On
Windows firewall - Off

But regardless of this, I'm here to learn from you guys. And I'm grateful to everyone.

So even with all of that, is it still possible for Bitdefender firewall to have problems with Comodo firewall?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Which is why the Bitdefender firewall has been turned OFF

Action Center currently reports:
Bitdefender firewall - Off
Comodo firewall - On
Windows firewall - Off

But regardless of this, I'm here to learn from you guys. And I'm grateful to everyone.

So even with all of that, is it still possible for Bitdefender firewall to have problems with Comodo firewall?

well as my colleague pointed above you would have a driver loaded in memory /if you ask me is not a good idea/ even thou the driver is off it wastes memory and resources and i dont see the point of having something you wouldn't use or need also there is the fact that Bitdefender drivers are designed to protect even if they are off. As you know when you install an AV some drivers are hooked into the system for proper operation, talking about firewall the drivers filters all traffic from your network /actually the traffic MUST past by the driver/ when you put it off you are telling the AV to dont take any decisions (..) but still the traffic pass by.

So, think a firewall as a cop, you are obligating your traffic to pass 2 revisión before reach your browser is it good???? actually you may no notice something irregular but for the sake of common sense???

PST:also I invite you to read this article

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.