Advice Request Backup, backup, backup......How do you backup your email?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The link below is an example of why I think its important to back up email and save ourselves from digital grief -

To avoid the angst over email of this articles author, hopefully, I currently store email in Thunderbird, I've used things like MailStore in the past but Thunderbird manages to keep what I need, its backed up on external HDDs.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for email backup setups?

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019
May I recommend something?

Have a look if you would like :)

MailStore is THE software to backup emails, IMHO. I also use it for e-mails migration when a client needs it, and it always works.

It's portable, so you can have a database anywhere you want (ex: internal hdd, external hdd, a cloud storage service, etc)

And is totally free.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Here is a site about your subject,hope it helps gl

Thanks, there are some there that I've never tried, I'll investigate.

I think I'm going to have to go back to try Mailstore again after recommendations from you and @gonza , thanks both.

I always move important mails to local Thunderbird folder - in Thunderbird itself.

Backup program then save this folder and copy it to external drive.
Finish

That is pretty much what I've been doing for the last couple of years, it works but I was wondering if there is a better way to do it.

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020

Did just that, and it is archiving my (web)email box as we speak. One can never have too many backups. I did survive a Gmail crash in the past, about 10% of the Gmail users lost data back then, but I was at the lucky 90%.

Thanks for the recommendation! (y)

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You can autoforward from Gmail to another webmail service, such as Outlook on the Web. Gmail and Outlook won't both lose your data on the same day, unless the entire internet is deleted.......................
OOOpppsss, I've just pressed 'delete'...................:devilish:

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.