Baidu Spark, A Chromium Browser

Whats your opinion on the Baidu Spark Browser?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
baidu-spark-browser-07-700x472.png

Spark Browser

A Browser based on Chromium with many features and an eye catching user interface!

Features:
Media Download
Download online video and MP3 sources to your computer.
Torrent Downloader based on Bittorrent
Download torrents directly from your browser. There’s no need for any other torrent download tools anymore!
Video Pop-up Player
Watch online videos while searching internet.
Mouse Gesture
You can use a number of functions right away simply by moving the mouse while holding the right-click.
Data sync
Log into Spark with your Google account to sync data. This lets you to save your personalized browser features on the web and use Spark to access them on any computer.
Skins
Use Skins to customize your browser look!

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Been using this browser for awhile now, I like it a lot. Everyone should give it a try!

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
a browser known for its bad privacy policies now empowered by chinese ... why do i get the feeling any day now someone will come with a log file of all the data that is being sent to chinese servers?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Big space between browsing and toolbar, browsing visible space reduced. I would like the Torch Browser more than this one...

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I don't like Spark browser, but I like woomera post #3.
I like too SlimBrowser I use, based on Chromium.

Jin0312

Dec 30, 2013
Beside its bad privacy policies now empowered by Chinese, my antivirus (Eset,Emsisoft) found it as a PUP, which was annoying. I don't like it. For many features mentioned above, I'd like to use Torch Browser instead, which is also based on Chromnium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prorootect

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Clones are never as good as the originals, if you want a Chromium-based browser stick with Google Chrome because it is the first to patch critical vulnerabilities, others may wait several months before applying patches. Google pays good money to anyone who can hack Google Chrome and has a large development team that applies the patches as soon as they are discovered. Clones depend on Google's source-code which is only released after the fact Google Chrome is already patched. Most clone development teams are small and take awhile to apply patches to their projects by then more vulnerabilities are discovered because they are never secure as Google Chrome.

Thanks. :D

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
OK. Litlebits, but with the clones, at least you don't sniffed by Google.
My privacy is better protected (I don't have a Google Account).

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Clones are never as good as the originals, if you want a Chromium-based browser stick with Google Chrome because it is the first to patch critical vulnerabilities, others may wait several months before applying patches. Google pays good money to anyone want can hack Google Chrome and has a large development team that applies the patches as soon as they are discovered. Clones depend on Google's source-code which is only released after the fact Google Chrome is already patched. Most clone development teams are small and take awhile to apply patches to their projects by then more vulnerabilities are discovered because they are never secure as Google Chrome.

exactly why i never use others like comodo dragon/iron because when it comes to privacy vs security i rather stick to security.
now i have tried several time to switch to firefox but for some reason FF is always laggy on my laptop.no matter if its a fresh install or not and i have tried it on 7/8/8.1 all laggy even tried it with hardware acceleration disabled. it just doesnt play nice with me so always ended up with chrome.

and for those concerned with chrome sending data to google there are options to prevent that. just search it.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
OK. Litlebits, but with the clones, at least you don't sniffed by Google.
My privacy is better protected (I don't have a Google Account).
On all of the Chromium clones, if you want to sync your settings they require you to have a Google account, they don't have their own sync features. I rather trust my privacy with Google compared to the third-party clone developers, if you search for Chrome extensions they are several that will block Google's tracking and give you better privacy. You can not add anything to the clones to patch vulnerabilities.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello,

Just try the latest version of Spark Browser! Seem to run like a rocket on my PC's!
You can add extensions, ect...Give a try Spark Browser. Using without sync and singing
in account. Have not experience any PUP1
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Spark-Browser.shtml

Also, what is your thoughts on Yandex Browser?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Yandex-Browser.shtml

Thanks,;)

Moose
Sparkbrowser sounds very interesting, & I'd like to know more about it,:) although...
..Baidu :confused:Spark is completely different from the Sparkbrowser which Moose wrote about. http://sparkbrowser.com/index.php
What gave away the difference for me was that previous posts referred to China:oops:. So, when I did a search for Sparkbrowser, here is what I discovered:
"About us
Our privately held company is based in Cambridge MA, the technology capital of the world.:rolleyes: Our brand has a history of excellence, and our product is the first of its kind. Our competitors are Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla. Welcome to Sparkbrowser™ ".;):D

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Ah ah .. thank you Cats .. I thought Moose was talking about Chinese browser .. because Softpedia link by Moose is about Baidu browser.
So I want to try this new American Sparkbrowser .. ( - but I don't have the Download link, and click on Download tab make crash of my browsers ..hmm), thank you, and thank Moose!

So only your link is for this new American Sparkbrowser, Cats!

It's discontinued project, it spoke too about 'Download Our Browser Spring 2012' .. another grayed download button spoke about September 2013 ..

- So I think now, that Moose spoked about Chinese browser, not this one discontinued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Homepage: http://en.browser.baidu.com/
NB! The browser itself is perfectly usable, but it also installs some unneccessary spyware on your computer. Recommended after installation to run control and also complete registry control, to delete of a number of unnecessary entries, made by Spark installer.

vexzo

Level 1
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
It is Baidu’s principle to respect the privacy of the personal information of our users. Baidu will take reasonable measures to protect user’s personal information, without disclosing such information to any third party other than its Partners (without the consent of the user), unless such disclosure is (i) required by law, court order or competent government departments or (ii) agreed to by the user.
that pretty much sums it - your informations are "on the table" for every low-level ccp schmuck, cleaning lady, and whoever wants to know....

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Homepage: http://en.browser.baidu.com/
NB! The browser itself is perfectly usable, but it also installs some unneccessary spyware on your computer. Recommended after installation to run control and also complete registry control, to delete of a number of unnecessary entries, made by Spark installer.

Are you sure that it didn't just install of of its own clean freeware products called "Baidu PC Faster"?

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
No software from Baidu for me. Thanks. This company is known for privacy issues. They steal data from users. Their anti-virus, for example, is a real pain to unninstall. Seems more like a rootkit itself than a anti-virus software. I dunno why Avira licenses their database and engine to Baidu. Baidu PC Faster is a even worse software, bundled with a lot of crapware and this kind of stuff.
The only thing I use from Baidu is their Cloud Storage service. But I only upload non-personal files and everything is encrypted (2048 bits). These files are only for share with a small group of friends. And I haven't installed the uploader.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Doesn't look like a pretty browser, but i'll def try this sometime in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.