Windows Edition
Home
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Windows defender with sandbox enabled/configure defender by Andy Ful
Sandboxie- Drop right enabled, auto delete on exit,download folder forced to sandboxie
Keyscrambler for firefox
Voodooshield
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes anti malware on demand
Zemana antimalware
EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox 64 bit
Ublock origin with 3rd party frames and script blocked
Maintenance tools
none
File and Photo backup
Macrium reflect
System recovery
Macrium reflect

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I'd like to highly recommend some other great security products to beef up your current security configuration @Baker :

1) Instead of Windows built in backup please use the following: AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free) or Macrium Reflect (Free).

AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free) link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Macrium Reflect (Free) link: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Both of these are solid backup tools that I would trust my data with. I'm not saying Windows is bad, but it takes forever and these other tools that I mentioned are far better and offer a wider selection of other backup methods.

2) Lets get you set up with some better on demand scanners:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit - light & robust - link: Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

Norton Power Eraser - nice tool and light footprint - link: Norton Rescue Tools

3) Great addons for Firefox for better security

HTTPS Everywhere: HTTPS Everywhere – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

uBlock Origin is great, but I also like coupling that up with AdGuard: Adguard AdBlocker – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

I use uBlock Origin and AdGuard together and with both of them on the tracking cookies left behind are nearly zilch.

4) I'd like for you to investigate a great virtual private network (VPN) to encryption your traffic wherever you may be. I personally use a couple, but Windscribe is a known favorite of mine. However, there is lots of good options.

Thanks for sharing your configuration with us @Baker !

Enjoy your day!

~Brian

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for sharing. keeping it lite is a wonderful way to conserve resources. I too practice a "minimal approach" and have for years. compliment defender with HMP.A for browsing and added memory protection, and maybe add an anti exe, neither require the constant DL'ing of definitions.Just a suggestion.
Keep us updated on how you decide to finish it up. Stay Frosty.
PS: I agree with JM Security that adding Macrium is a great idea.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for sharing. keeping it lite is a wonderful way to conserve resources. I too practice a "minimal approach" and have for years. compliment defender with HMP.A for browsing and added memory protection, and maybe add an anti exe, neither require the constant DL'ing of definitions.Just a suggestion.
Keep us updated on how you decide to finish it up. Stay Frosty.
PS: I agree with JM Security that adding Macrium is a great idea.
Assuming he's using Sandboxie on Firefox though, might be redundant to his setup.
Very simple but any other backup program is faster than Windows Backup.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Are you using WD in default configuration? If so, consider @Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender and RunBySmartscreen apps. These will extend WD's protection significantly. Also, you could employ his Hard_Configurator app for employing Windows built-in Default-Deny protection. These apps add no weight to your setup. Although VoodooShield is very lightweight as well for another straight-forward option, as @_CyberGhosT_ suggested. I haven't used HitmanPro-A so can't comment on how it might work for you, or with WD. Simple and light is nice! (y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@_CyberGhosT_ : Thanks for your input Can you please name an anti-executable that is light on resources. On my old pc I used to have appguard. But unfortunately I have used all activation and appguard is no more for personal use. I tried NVT exe radar pro but it seemed heavy, not lite like appguard.

Try VoodooShield. @_CyberGhosT_ uses it. So do I. 2 processes total @16.6 MB RAM on my machine.

Baker

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 24, 2018
I have downloaded configuredefender by andy ful But when I upload it to virus total Antiy-AVL flags it as trojan.generic is it still safe? Out of 70 engines only this one detects it as malware.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have downloaded configuredefender by andy ful But when I upload it to virus total Antiy-AVL flags it as trojan.generic is it still safe? Out of 70 engines only this one detects it as malware.

Relax! :emoji_ok_hand: You missed Windows Defender flagging an earlier version of it. That was fun! :LOL: The latest version is fine.

Baker

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 24, 2018
Thank you all guys for your time and suggestion. i have incorporated your advice and made suggested changes also updated my new configuration. Feeling secure..:)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
First of all important bits! UAC set to Always Notify!
Rest of the config looks fab!

~LDogg

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.