Bandizip worries

averagedarren

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 31, 2019
Not really. Freewares are dying, slowly but surely. I know if I was a coder, I wouldn't lift a finger for free. I wouldn't carry the community on my back for nothing. Pay me or you get nothing.
I totally agree with you here, but I just think the majority of users will sadly just find a free alternative till that becomes paid, and the whole circle begins again. I guess pricing is also hard for a developer as people may look at Bandizip and think $30 is a lot to 'just to unzip some files'

Reactions: roger_m

averagedarren

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 31, 2019
Hello: I've never used Bandizip as I bought WinRar about 200 (maybe more) years ago & my license still works - I can't really see there is a lot of scope for charging for zippers esp as there is a version built into Windows. WinZip went down the road a while ago charging a small fortune and it could be argued renegaded on lifetime licenses in the past. There are heaps of free zippers. if Bandizip gets messed up you could try the others?
Hi,
I have tried many others but always seemed to come back to Bandizip. I'm not even fully sure why, maybe the UI, maybe the numerous optons etc. Archiving software (without being disrespectful to any developers) is something that most people don't really rate highly on their 'common software' list. And with that most average users wouldn't even pay $5 for an app like Bandizip, which in turn could damage the development and thats a sad thing.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
7zip still losing the MOTW when extracting files?
If yes any tips for an free archiver preserving it?

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018

averagedarren

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 31, 2019
Hi,

It's a shame that developers have to take the paid option in the end. Is it due to demand (working hours, amount of work putting in), or just someone who wants to actually earn something from its users. Around 90% of users will just see Bandizip as a 'nice looking' piece of software and use it as basic as possible (Zip and Unzip) and not use the many features it offers. It is a shame, as other useful software like IrfanView or foobar2000 might get away with small charge but not this. gHacks have recently ran an article on their website and the comments section is rather brutal :(

gHacks - Bandzip

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

It's a shame that developers have to take the paid option in the end. Is it due to demand (working hours, amount of work putting in), or just someone who wants to actually earn something from its users.
Why a shame? they deserve to get the fruits of their labors.

Around 90% of users will just see Bandizip as a 'nice looking' piece of software and use it as basic as possible (Zip and Unzip) and not use the many features it offers.
I dont expect much more from an archiving software.

gHacks have recently ran an article on their website and the comments section is rather brutal :(
Those comments are from infuriated freeloaders who expect everything to be free forever, those people won't give a damn for this soft, as you can see they are all ready to move to another free archiver.

I don't use Bandizip, so i don't know all its features, but if they have good sales from enterprise customers, losing some freeloaders isn't big deal, i will even say it is a benefit.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Why a shame? they deserve to get the fruits of their labors.

I dont expect much more from an archiving software.

Those comments are from infuriated freeloaders who expect everything to be free forever, those people won't give a damn for this soft, as you can see they are all ready to move to another free archiver.

I don't use Bandizip, so i don't know all its features, but if they have good sales from enterprise customers, losing some freeloaders isn't big deal, i will even say it is a benefit.

Sometimes I think people misunderstand that nothing in life is ever really free. When it comes to free software, it's either paid by ads, harvesting data, or it's a project that's takes place in the developer's free time, away from their main job. While I can appreciate that not everyone can afford to pay for some of these things, developers need to make a living too. So at somepoint, it either has to switch to a paid model (something a company like Avast should have done) like they are doing here, or development just stops entirely.

To be fair they are still offering a free version that for the most part does everything an archiver should. Yes they are adding ads, but the additional features in the paid offerings aren't really make it or break it type features IMHO.

If you dont want the ads then you can buy the product from them, or there are other options like 7zip, but even then that is a program (atleast to my eyes) that developer seems to be doing in his spare time. So like Bandizip, there may come a point where he may either start charging, or just stops developing it entirely. Hopefully not, but nothing can ever remain free forever and sometimes things like this happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

People want everything for free... I really wish to ask some of these people what they do for a living and if they would do it for me for free... or maybe for "exposure"...
That's just it.

While I can't speak for everyone, I have a sneaking suspicion that the large majority of these people can afford it no problem. I mean its not like their asking $100.00, or $1000.00 for it. It will always be a double standard, I want it free, but I won't work for free.

I may be wrong, but I feel like this type of mentality started way back during the original Napster days were people were like sweet, I can get music for free on the internet. So naturally it evolved into I want everything on the internet for free.

L

Local Host

Even WinRAR Trial has more features for 0€.

30€ is extremely overpriced for such a basic software, good thing we have 7-Zip.

Adding bloat like Password Managers just to justify the high price, is ridiculous.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

30€ is extremely overpriced for such a basic software, good thing we have 7-Zip.

Adding bloat like Password Managers just to justify the high price, is ridiculous.

You can still get it for free though, without all the bloat, it just has ads. Like I said earlier though what happens if 7zip all of a sudden goes the way of the dodo, because he feels like he doesn't want to do it anymore?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I use only free software and when I was offered a lifetime licence for some, I refused, because it it is against my policy. I usually recommend freeware and it would be hard, if I were not using it. I do not mind ads and other restrictions and I would rather donate, then to be "forced" to pay, when there are alternatives. As it was said, free is not free anyway, like when you are using a free AV, you help to improve its detection, report bugs.
Even the dev said, that he does not mind, when people keep using the trial forever, as long as they are using it, because it helps to promote it, so more people will buy it. I like some of its features, like the ability to create SFX archive and unpack it to a custom folder, no other software has it.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I use only free software and when I was offered a lifetime licence for some, I refused, because it it is against my policy. I usually recommend freeware and it would be hard, if I were not using it. I do not mind ads and other restrictions and I would rather donate, then to be "forced" to pay, when there are alternatives. As it was said, free is not free anyway, like when you are using a free AV, you help to improve its detection, report bugs.

Even the dev said, that he does not mind, when people keep using the trial forever, as long as they are using it, because it helps to promote it, so more people will buy it. I like some of its features, like the ability to create SFX archive and unpack it to a custom folder, no other software has it.
Powerarchiver can open most self extract archives, even some installers as if they were ordinary archive files. I never tested if it can add files to them though.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.