App Review [Battle Test] Final Battle Antivirus vs Ransomware (Manzaitest)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion within the rules of this site.That would be to make a reply whether you like the test or not.If you don't like them make a post,state the reason why and move on.Three or four posts beating on the OP is not a valid reply and does not need to be posted here or anywhere else on this site.The reply should be useful in some way,not that they are useless.Once again a friendly heads up before another thread goes south.There are rules on the site,please take the time to read them.Thanks :)

M

Manzai

Thread author
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion within the rules of this site.That would be to make a reply whether you like the test or not.If you don't like them make a post,state the reason why and move on.Three or four posts beating on the OP is not a valid reply and does not need to be posted here or anywhere else on this site.The reply should be useful in some way,not that they are useless.Once again a friendly heads up before another thread goes south.There are rules on the site,please take the time to read them.Thanks :)

I agree, but that's about the Neno I did not like ;)

Reactions: frogboy and nsm0220

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I show my full respect to Manzai,his tests (especially the Ransomware battle) needs A LOT of work, time and effort to complete.
And the results were absolutely CLEAR, it is not Manzai's fault if some AVs failed the test.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yes Kaspersky does have a set of keys to press that will remove the Ransomware, roll back any changes then a reboot is necessary.

Reactions: Oxygen

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I must add some word on this theme.

First of all, every test done here by members are just personal interpretation of the security product(s). Respect other's opinions and don't hate, troll and similar but if you don't like something, explain why don't you like it.
Second, for the professionalism of the MalwareTips, as security advisor for nearly 15 000 registered members and who know what number of guests, you guys need to learn not to take these tests too seriously, as this particular test :

• Doesn't prove that Tiranium, Comodo, Norton and Qihoo are better products then Bitdefender, TrendMicro, Emsisoft or even other security software that didn't "come to finals" presented by the test of interpreter, or vice versa. Missing one sample of the malware or malicious behavior are not proving anything that you will encounter in the real world. Using other sample may show totally different results
  • Tests are not used evaluating and enabling the maximum out of every product tested, some on maximum settings and some on default ones
  • Tests are not conducted at the exact same time
  • Tests are not conducted without and then with internet connection
  • I respect Manzai's love for his native language but test needs to be done in English
  • After every infection/disinfection/detection or deletion system needs to be scanned thoroughly with some second opinion malware scanners (several ones)
  • and many other irregularities
Once again I please members to respect others, to watch their language and the way of expressing their emotions, as bad behaviors will not be tolerated.
Thank you!

M

Manzai

Thread author
I must add some word on this theme.

First of all, every test done here by members are just personal interpretation of the security product(s). Respect other's opinions and don't hate, troll and similar but if you don't like something, explain why don't you like it.
Second, for the professionalism of the MalwareTips, as security advisor for nearly 15 000 registered members and who know what number of guests, you guys need to learn not to take these tests too seriously, as this particular test :

• Doesn't prove that Tiranium, Comodo, Norton and Qihoo are better products then Bitdefender, TrendMicro, Emsisoft or even other security software that didn't "come to finals" presented by the test of interpreter, or vice versa. Missing one sample of the malware or malicious behavior are not proving anything that you will encounter in the real world. Using other sample may show totally different results
  • Tests are not used evaluating and enabling the maximum out of every product tested, some on maximum settings and some on default ones
  • Tests are not conducted at the exact same time
  • Tests are not conducted without and then with internet connection
  • I respect Manzai's love for his native language but test needs to be done in English
  • After every infection/disinfection/detection or deletion system needs to be scanned thoroughly with some second opinion malware scanners (several ones)
  • and many other irregularities
Once again I please members to respect others, to watch their language and the way of expressing their emotions, as bad behaviors will not be tolerated.
Thank you!

Hi Bora :)

I want to express my displeasure

I know it's not the same hour, but up, prepare, test and editing takes time, and I can not run 20 VMs simultaneously.

For English, despite my very bad English, I'll make an effort.

For Ransomware, Orion downloads a file named "dontclose.exe." Dontclose blocks the machine and register at startup. So yes Emsisoft, TrendMicro and Bitdefender failed.

Then if I was angry about the Neno touched me, this is not easy for me who does not speak much English post on MalwareTips. I just ask you to respect me on this point. His remarks inflammatory, I did not like.

Thank you.

M

Manzai

Thread author
You can't say that you don't have reboot and you don't know av features ^^
Ps: I say your test is bad and you don't know what you do but i respect you anyway ^^

Unfortunately it's not with arguments, you're just saying that I have not used the shortcuts Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware and say I'm doing "crap" ....

I no longer answer to your attacks but only for constrictive comments like @BoraMurdar

Reactions: nsm0220

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
It's not a attack i just seeing you are not reboot and you don't have used all features given by vendors.
You say i'm attacking you, you just can't awser my question.
I'm not a hater you just can't hear me or other member and after i show you error you keep to make the same error.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Obviously there are going to be positive & negative replies. I guess it is just the nature of the beast. However if you do not agree with the test make a post with facts and leave it at that.
Replies such as "Your tests are useless","You don't know what you are doing" ,"I never liked one of your tests" and so on really have no place anywhere on this site.There is a rule on this site,NO Personal Attacks & No Flamming.
Seems lately it is open season on anybody,staff included. To make matters worse we get one useless reply with a personal attack and it ends up becoming a mob action.If you don't like what Manzai puts out then just don't view his thread.Seriously,just keep the thread civil and there won't be any problems.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi Bora :)

I want to express my displeasure

I know it's not the same hour, but up, prepare, test and editing takes time, and I can not run 20 VMs simultaneously.

For English, despite my very bad English, I'll make an effort.

For Ransomware, Orion downloads a file named "dontclose.exe." Dontclose blocks the machine and register at startup. So yes Emsisoft, TrendMicro and Bitdefender failed.

Then if I was angry about the Neno touched me, this is not easy for me who does not speak much English post on MalwareTips. I just ask you to respect me on this point. His remarks inflammatory, I did not like.

Thank you.
I just wanted to say that I respect your time and effort of making these videos as a tester that also needs patience and precious time for editing, cutting, collecting etc, and sharing your work with the community.
About the English, I know that programs are not using so many unknown words in their settings and messages so I think it is OK to start testing your products all in English.
But most important, I just wanted to warn members and attract and direct attention that yours or any other test shouldn't be a main factor for deciding of what security program should the member use. Or change existing one just because one video showed that it failed to catch one malware. And I noticed that many members are doing so. Infections are mostly consequence of the human error and not the AV. And that's why MT's main purpose is to teach and educate people who are not so experienced at using computer and browsing the internet.
Like I said above, this test provides information to MT member that some security products was able to catch the malware at the specific time, specific settings and specific defense mechanisms with definitions, and some products didn't. And that's all.
I, as a moderator, need to clear some things up here, and warn some about their behavior on the forums.

M

Manzai

Thread author
I just wanted to say that I respect your time and effort of making these videos as a tester that also needs patience and precious time for editing, cutting, collecting etc, and sharing your work with the community.
About the English, I know that programs are not using so many unknown words in their settings and messages so I think it is OK to start testing your products all in English.
But most important, I just wanted to warn members and attract and direct attention that yours or any other test shouldn't be a main factor for deciding of what security program should the member use. Or change existing one just because one video showed that it failed to catch one malware. And I noticed that many members are doing so. Infections are mostly consequence of the human error and not the AV. And that's why MT's main purpose is to teach and educate people who are not so experienced at using computer and browsing the internet.
Like I said above, this test provides information to MT member that some security products was able to catch the malware at the specific time, specific settings and specific defense mechanisms with definitions, and some products didn't. And that's all.
I, as a moderator, need to clear some things up here, and warn some about their behavior on the forums.

No problem, I misunderstood, sorry ;)

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
These tests show us nothing. And that Orion (v3) ransomware is nothing more than a prank. BoraMurdar mentioned some of the points about testing IS/AV suites with witch i agree completely (with some additions).

(Tests are not conducted at the exact same time. Tests are not conducted without and then with internet connection. After every infection/disinfection/detection or deletion system needs to be scanned thoroughly with some second opinion malware scanners (several ones)
and many other irregularities... etc.)

Can you please post that Ransomeware or share the link for it so we can test it? Otherwise i just feel like someone wanted to trick me (us).

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
The so called ransomware you sent me for testing is not a malware. Just as i suspected. The orion.exe does only one thing... it states that Tiranium Antivirus blocked something (of course i do not have that antivirus). Winlock is a prank that locks the screen and installs itself in the start up sequence and also does nothing (after you remove it from the start up its the end of it). Needless to say that both files are not detected by Virus Total-like sites witch does not come as a surprise because this 2 little exe's are not malware.

Reactions: FleischmannTV

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.