Battle Behavior-Protection or Anti-Executable?

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Hello guys,
I'm looking for a second real-time Protection tool against malware and other crap which will run permanently together with Kaspersky Internet Security 18. Did you make any experience with one of them? What's about the performance and compatibility to other AV-Programs - especially Kaspersky?

I know that KIS 18 already has a anti-executable functionality included but I guess VoodooShield will do it better.
HitmanPro.Alert interests me especially because of the extensive functions like CryptoGuard, App -and Browser-Protection, Keyboard-Encryption and last but not least one of the best second-opinion-scanners HitmanPro, which is included in the HitmanPro.Alert license.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

You can enable TAM in KIS to archieve same protection level, if not better than adding Voodooshield. If you aren't a paranoid, you don't need Hitman.Pro, as KIS already have same security mechanisms built-it. IMO you won't gain anything adding either Hitman.Pro or Voodooshield, you just might run into incompatible issues. KIS is complete security solution if you know how to make it work for you. Keep it simple and you'll be more happy at the end than stockpiling unneeded 3rd party security software. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaspersky's Application Control and Trusted Application Mode along with settings tweaks will lock system completely down. User just needs to learn how they work and how KSN affects them.

It's ridiculous to add conflicting, overlapping or redundant softs to a system that has Kaspersky. It makes absolutely no sense and I don't know why people complicate their systems by piling such softs on top of Kaspersky. I advise people that it is unnecessary to add AppGuard but they still do it anyway.

Strictly speaking, Kaspersky doesn't want users to implement SRP although users have that capability if they can figure it out within the product and can cope with the existing bugs.

@XhenEd figured out a good combo to circumvent all that. So you can ask him. But oh... that's not answering the OP's opinion poll.

Kaspersky already has behavioral and anti-executable protections - the OP doesn't need to add anything. KIS is an internet security suite with a decent default-deny capability.

You can ask a very experienced user such as @Umbra about KIS. He'll tell you that it's asking for trouble to start piling other security softs on top of it. Kaspersky itself does not want users adding other security softs on the system next to their product. You can ask Kaspersky Technical Support itself and they will tell you that they do not like it and advise against security soft combos. They are not forthright about publishing their internal 3rd party security and security related soft blacklist, but when you start reporting problems their technical support will methodically demand that you uninstall 3rd party security and related softs - otherwise support cases will be summarily terminated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
IMO, running any of these 2 programs with KIS will make your PC much slower
I used to use KIS 2018 + HMPA -> 2-3 times slower, KIS + VS -> 1.2-1.5 time slower. I don't notice any improvement compared to running KIS alone
KIS + VS >> KIS + HMPA because KIS has almost anything HMPA has and the performance impact is so significant. Usually, KIS can pick up anything HMP can detect. Zemana and NPE may pick up what KIS misses, especially fileless malwares, which HMPA sucks

I think you can follow this guide to tweak KIS's application control without having TAM enabled because it breaks usability and impacts performance
you can modify something to suit your needs. This guide is a bit too aggressive for me so I modified something to make it more friendly
Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 Recommended Settings

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have been engaged with Kaspersky (as user and as a beta tester) since 2004 and in my experience it is best to run Kaspersky alone, especially KIS that uses a Hypervisor and hooks very deep in the system.

Kaspersky Internet Security doesnt have any weak components, it is strong in all areas and covers everything; you can customize it to novice and for paranoid users (TAM and ask for user input) so you simple dont need anything extra (maybe something like uBlock or AdGuard, but KIS has a adblocker too).

With Kaspersky the golden rule is simple: Trust it do its job or dont use it all.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I won't use these big AV siutes, but if you do, you may want to rethink adding software that might interfere with it's
effectiveness. Good luck with your config OP.

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
Kaspersky's Application Control and Trusted Application Mode along with settings tweaks will lock system completely down. User just needs to learn how they work and how KSN affects them.

It's ridiculous to add conflicting, overlapping or redundant softs to a system that has Kaspersky. It makes absolutely no sense and I don't know why people complicate their systems by piling such softs on top of Kaspersky. I advise people that it is unnecessary to add AppGuard but they still do it anyway.

Strictly speaking, Kaspersky doesn't want users to implement SRP although users have that capability if they can figure it out within the product and can cope with the existing bugs.

@XhenEd figured out a good combo to circumvent all that. So you can ask him. But oh... that's not answering the OP's opinion poll.

Kaspersky already has behavioral and anti-executable protections - the OP doesn't need to add anything. KIS is an internet security suite with a decent default-deny capability.

You can ask a very experienced user such as @Umbra about KIS. He'll tell you that it's asking for trouble to start piling other security softs on top of it. Kaspersky itself does not want users adding other security softs on the system next to their product. You can ask Kaspersky Technical Support itself and they will tell you that they do not like it and advise against security soft combos. They are not forthright about publishing their internal 3rd party security and security related soft blacklist, but when you start reporting problems their technical support will methodically demand that you uninstall 3rd party security and related softs - otherwise support cases will be summarily terminated.

Is it the same case with F Secure IS?

Reactions: CoherentCrayon

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have run kaspersky with voodoo, and it works. Configuring Kaspersky to achieve the same level of protection as voodoo is possible, but it is tough, so I think there is a valid reason to run KIS+anti-exe. But you might see system slowdown.

Voodoo will give you more protection and less aggravation than HMPA. Behavior blocking is hit-and-miss; anti-exe is more reliable. Also, it is possible that certain KIS mechanisms will conflict with HMPA at the moment of an actual attack, even though everything seemed to be working fine previously. You never know until it happens.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.