Being able to delete a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's disabled or something, but for some reason I'm unable to actually delete any of the threads I post. I'm able to delete replies to threads, but not a thread itself. Can this be enabled please, it can be useful at times (an example would be when I accidentally posted a news thread already posted, when I found out I couldn't delete the thread myself). Thanks!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The reason we don't allow this is that it might create allot of dead links possibly lowering our rating on search engines. Please PM a moderator/admin to delete a thread.

We can allow (some) usergroups to delete their own posts and threads but we must also add a time limit. If the thread/post was made just 5 minutes (time is adjustable) before, the user is allowed to delete it. Otherwise he/she receives an error message:
The time allowed to delete has expired. If you need this edited or deleted, please PM a moderator or an admin!
Please keep in mind that the time limit will affect your ability to delete your own posts too (not just threads).

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
bogdan said:
The reason we don't allow this is that it might create allot of dead links possibly lowering our rating on search engines. Please PM a moderator/admin to delete a thread.

We can allow (some) usergroups to delete their own posts and threads but we must also add a time limit. If the thread/post was made just 5 minutes (time is adjustable) before, the user is allowed to delete it. Otherwise he/she receives an error message:
The time allowed to delete has expired. If you need this edited or deleted, please PM a moderator or an admin!
Please keep in mind that the time limit will affect your ability to delete your own posts too (not just threads).

Are Advanced Members allowed to delete threads and posts in that time limit or is it for other groups?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
If other members think it is useful we will enable it starting from Advanced Members. Jack needs to agree with this too.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I was also in times that need to delete the thread immediately but cannot, if the member post already the another thread.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Yes but it might be confusing for the user(s) that replied to your thread to not see it all of a sudden. They might not know that a similar thread exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.