Benign applications samples

analeen

Thread author
Jan 17, 2016
It might look as trivial question .. but sorry I am very desperate :(

I am trying to create my own collection of malware and benign applications and analyse them with Anubis .. I've already managed to collect large number of malware but I am in need for more benign applications with these specific features:
- work on windows XP
- smaller than 8 MB
- EXE files only

I have downloaded clean windows on Virtual machines and collect all the clean files, and I have downloaded from legitimate websites but it doesn't seem enough at all
Any recommendation of sources ?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Benign application samples?

You may consider to check on those legitimate 3rd party sites like:

A) Softpedia
B) MajorGeeks
C) Fileforum

There are many other sites but you should aware that other detection by AV notified of possible adware attached on some programs.

Building a lot of benign applications will take time since you will collect them by your own so take yourself a lot of patience. :)[/URL]

analeen

Thread author
Jan 17, 2016
You are a godsend .. cannot thank you enough ..
I have just found a list of websites but I am not sure of it .. if some one can give an opinion ... may be at the end we will have a list of benign applications websites .. 'as the malware websites list :) )

these are the websites that I have found:

TechSpot.com
SnapFiles.com
downloadcrew.com

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@analeen: Another good alternative sites to get those benign application samples, the more the better usually you can retrieve a lot of low prevalent legitimate programs as you will notice on reviews and rankings + number of downloads.

Reactions: analeen and Rishi

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The Adware List Here is a list of programs(may not be up-to-date) which carry bundled "benign" surprises and others.Best is to look for older versions of these.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.