Best Alternative Download Manager of IDM

Discussion in 'Media Players and Editors' started by Siraj, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Siraj

Siraj Level 2

Mar 23, 2014
    Pakistan
  2. Rishi

Rishi Level 19
    Trusted

Dec 3, 2015
    India
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    FDM, FlashGet(both support torrent,FDM has community based file rating,Flashget allows AV scan of downloaded files) and browser extension DownloadThemAll.

Hangtooth, frogboy, tonibalas and 3 others like this.
  3. mal1

mal1 Level 4

Oct 1, 2015
    Earth
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    It's ad-free, free and almost as good as paid IDM! Which made me wonder who's behind this project, who's its developer(s)/founder(s)? I dug deep (their website, forum, page on Facebook, account on Twitter) but I couldn't find much.

Hangtooth and tonibalas like this.
  4. Sher

Sher Level 10

Mar 17, 2014
    Pakistan
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I tried them all and they all sucked for me. In the end, I had to buy IDM. It's the best download manager ever made.

shukla44 likes this.
  5. Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro Level 29
    Trusted

Aug 3, 2013
    EMSISOFT Re-Seller
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    IDM doesn't have any equivalent competitor according to my view. But its sure you may find a similar good alternative for it.
    Currently I am using Firefox and using Video Download Helper extension for downloading videos, but it lacks resuming broken links and many more.
    DownThemAll extension with Video Download Helper would make a decent combo for a download manager to exist in your PC.

Hangtooth, LabZero and Rishi like this.
  6. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    Eagleget is very good but it doesn't support Cyberfox:( so i uninstalled it.
    I tried other download managers but i didn't see any significant improvement in downloading so i am staying for now with
    inbuilt Cyberfox and Cent download managers.
    I see that i must try IDM.
    Is there going to be any MT giveaway for IDM soon?:D

Hangtooth, mehdi.n, frogboy and 3 others like this.
  7. NikolayfromRussia

Jul 3, 2014
    For me it is the best way to purchase a license for IDM rather looking for the best alternative of IDM. It only costs $24 (life-time license). Moreover, if you use a Russian Ip and choose ,,pay with yandex money,, it will cost you about $10 or 760 Russian Rubles.

8. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    #8 Yash Khan, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Its lifetime license but updates are for a year only, right?
    So whats the benefit of lifetime license when product like download managers have to keep up with browsers i.e compatible extension, video download algorithms, etc...?

Hangtooth and DracusNarcrym like this.
  9. DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym Level 19

Oct 16, 2015
    Greece
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    #9 DracusNarcrym, Jan 12, 2016
    I run the portable versions of JDownloader and Free Download Manager.
    My primary downloader is JDownloader which is coded in Java and is EXTREMELY stable (as far as I have tested it - and I can ensure you I have downloaded many terabytes of data so far with it).
    When it comes to more features, I use Free Download Manager.

10. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I used FDM for a long time & now waiting for the new FDM 5 stable that is suppose to be released in 3-4 months. Never had a prob with FDM.

Sometimes I download videos & IDM supports many sites & easy to download videos so currently trying IDM Free;) No Crack:)

Hangtooth, frogboy and DracusNarcrym like this.
  11. DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym Level 19

Oct 16, 2015
    Greece
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    #11 DracusNarcrym, Jan 12, 2016
    I tried IDM recently but it did little to impress me.
    Compared download speeds for specific files (every file was 3 gigabytes at least), compared them on downloading multiple files (~30 at once), saved some videos here and there, and overall there was no difference.

And lastly, note that I do not, and will not, use any download manager extensions in my browsers (I'm not referring to add-ons which are natively coded for browsers, rather the extensiosn that come with the installation of external standalone download managers), as they are very exploitable and thus they greatly increase risk of infection due to exploits. (not to mention potential stability/compatibility issues, as well as an increase in load times)
    Call me old-fashioned, but in my opinion, downloading files with download managers should be done by copy-pasting their links only, and not using funky on-the-fly linkgrabbing techniques from within browsers. :D

pneuma1985 and Hangtooth like this.
  12. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I have 0 info on JDownloader. Is it good, have video download & how to use it?

13. songoku316

songoku316 Level 5

Jul 25, 2014
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Eagleget is the best alternative for internet download manager but dont support for all browsers

14. DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym Level 19

Oct 16, 2015
    Greece
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    It is able to download videos (in fact, it supports downloading from hundreds or even thousands of hosters). I use it to download from YouTube, Vimeo, etc (specifically on YouTube, it allows you to save the audio stream only, in 256bit .m4a format, which is the full quality audio source directly streamed from YouTube)
    It is quite easy to use and it doesn't take too long to get used to it. There's 2 tabs you'll need for downloading: The linkgrabber tab (links that are copied to clipboard appear here) and the downloads list tab, which contains active downloads, pause downloads, disabled (frozen) downloads, etc
    Most functions are performed from the right-click context menu.

Hangtooth likes this.
  15. LabZero

LabZero Guest

I also use DownThemAll! extension on Firefox, it doesn't do miracles but it's not bad ;)

16. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I will give it a try.
    Google search shows jdownloader.org & jdownloader.com, which is the right one?

17. DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym Level 19

Oct 16, 2015
    Greece
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    Hangtooth likes this.
  18. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    Ok, got it

19. Raul90

Raul90 New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I run both FDM and EagleGet. Seems to be the best alternative for me so far.

20. NikolayfromRussia

Jul 3, 2014
    I purchased the first license (I have purchased some licenses) about 2 years and receive updates everytime they are released

tapoo, frogboy, Hangtooth and 2 others like this.