Status
Not open for further replies.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I tried them all and they all sucked for me. In the end, I had to buy IDM. It's the best download manager ever made.
For me it is the best way to purchase a license for IDM rather looking for the best alternative of IDM. It only costs $24 (life-time license). Moreover, if you use a Russian Ip and choose ,,pay with yandex money,, it will cost you about $10 or 760 Russian Rubles.

Yes, i agree. Used all sorts of extension & download manager softwares but in the end had to buy IDM.
I used DAP for about 2 years before it got useless for me. I used FDM for about 6 months.

But if you do not want to use IDM, then I think FDM is your best alternative.

Last edited:

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
EagleGet is simply over-rated, in my opinion. FDM is little better, but it was also downloading files with wrong hashes the last time I was trying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
jdownloader is claimed to be a Malware by Qihoo TS :D
That detection is a false positive. I have been using JDownloader for years and I can verify that it is completely safe to use.

If it was downloaded from a website other than the official one, then in that case it might have been outfitted with malicious plugins or patched with malicious code. (the latter case is unlikely)
If it was downloaded from the official website, then I can guarantee that it is in now way malicious.

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
Yes, i agree. Used all sorts of extension & download manager softwares but in the had to buy IDM.
I used DAP for about 2 years before it got useless for me. I used FDM for about 6 months.

But if you do not want to use IDM, then I think FDM is your best alternative.

For the time being FDM can be used but in the end you have to buy IDM.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I'm using eagleget, It allows AV to scan downloaded file automatically and easy to schedule shut down after finishing download.
however, it's drawback is cyberfox compability so I use downloadthemall for cyberfox.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I tried IDM recently but it did little to impress me.
Compared download speeds for specific files (every file was 3 gigabytes at least), compared them on downloading multiple files (~30 at once), saved some videos here and there, and overall there was no difference.

And lastly, note that I do not, and will not, use any download manager extensions in my browsers (I'm not referring to add-ons which are natively coded for browsers, rather the extensiosn that come with the installation of external standalone download managers), as they are very exploitable and thus they greatly increase risk of infection due to exploits. (not to mention potential stability/compatibility issues, as well as an increase in load times)
Call me old-fashioned, but in my opinion, downloading files with download managers should be done by copy-pasting their links only, and not using funky on-the-fly linkgrabbing techniques from within browsers. :D

So Dracus you're saying you wouldn't use IDM? Due to its extension or addon? Jw what you meant by it. I understand that a Download Manager in itself I'm almost sure is a vulnerability for sure but IDM is the best out of all of them. I need something that can download .torrent extensions for distro's etc some are only .torrents. And I don't want to install any torrent client b/c most are vulnerable in themselves µtorrent being the best and worst of them ;)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
So Dracus you're saying you wouldn't use IDM? Due to its extension or addon? Jw what you meant by it. I understand that a Download Manager in itself I'm almost sure is a vulnerability for sure but IDM is the best out of all of them. I need something that can download .torrent extensions for distro's etc some are only .torrents. And I don't want to install any torrent client b/c most are vulnerable in themselves µtorrent being the best and worst of them ;)
It's not really because of the extensions, it's just that I find it completely comparable to free and/or open-source download managers so there is no point in paying for such software.
As for a torrent client, I use qBittorrent Client Portable, which is minimalistic and simply gets the job done. :D

Reactions: pneuma1985

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
It's not really because of the extensions, it's just that I find it completely comparable to free and/or open-source download managers so there is no point in paying for such software.
As for a torrent client, I use qBittorrent Client Portable, which is minimalistic and simply gets the job done. :D

I have alot of experience with most if not all torrent clients ;) Most are malware in themselves I ran qbitorrent for a while I've also tried transmission for windows, Ive run deluge and of course everyone's favorite µtorrent and several others. Right now I have a torrent box not a real seedbox but a torrent box running µtorrent 2.2.1 25154 the private trackers I use only allow for certain clients. Though I will say some of the clients are absolutely PuP infested like µtorrent with opencandy! That's why I would never install any torrent client on my actual workstation, but at the same time need an alternative to the main torrent clients. IDM seems nice and gets the job done and I do like it but paying for it I'm not so sure!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I have alot of experience with most if not all torrent clients ;) Most are malware in themselves I ran qbitorrent for a while I've also tried transmission for windows, Ive run deluge and of course everyone's favorite µtorrent and several others. Right now I have a torrent box not a real seedbox but a torrent box running µtorrent 2.2.1 25154 the private trackers I use only allow for certain clients. Though I will say some of the clients are absolutely PuP infested like µtorrent with opencandy! That's why I would never install any torrent client on my actual workstation, but at the same time need an alternative to the main torrent clients. IDM seems nice and gets the job done and I do like it but paying for it I'm not so sure!
Great call setting up a dedicated torrent computer. If I were into torrenting myself, I would have done so as well. :p

Now then, as far as PUPs are concerned, I have never had any problems with any torrent clients that bundled them in their installer - simply uncheck the option to install it during installation and you're good to go. However, it must be noted that clients like μTorrent suffer from in-application ads which are unfortunately a nuisance and must be removed with an application like Adguard, some hosts file blocklist, or a similar method.

Reactions: pneuma1985

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Great call setting up a dedicated torrent computer. If I were into torrenting myself, I would have done so as well. :p

Now then, as far as PUPs are concerned, I have never had any problems with any torrent clients that bundled them in their installer - simply uncheck the option to install it during installation and you're good to go. However, it must be noted that clients like μTorrent suffer from in-application ads which are unfortunately a nuisance and must be removed with an application like Adguard, some hosts file blocklist, or a similar method.

Yeah I had that Idea b/c it was tough keeping a machine clean with a torrent client on it and I don't download games or any .exe programs using torrents. And the private trackers are safe so got tired of reimaging machines now I just set one up that is meant to reimage all the time :D

Oh and for a good 6 months the installer for µtorrent came with opencandy and epic scale no matter what you selected while installing it. You can read about it on torrentfreak.

As far as the ads go you can remove them straight out of utorrent in options\preferences\Advanced you can set their values to false removing all of them. I would never use any of the 3.x versions only the older versions of that specific client are any good. I will note that when using utorrent mbam has a crap ton of block notifications to malicious ips. Utorrent forums will tell you utorrent is trying to connect to BitTorrent Inc. and their parent website. I'm not saying it's not trying to phone home I'm just saying who's to say the servers are safe at all? And the ip's it connects to are random.

Last edited:

Terrip Rent

Level 1
Oct 10, 2017
The above download managers may be good for general use. However, when it comes to batch downloading especially if you're interested in bulk downloading tv series, videos, wallpapers, anime, manga you should give WFDownloader App a try which is located at WFDownloader App Website.

Disclaimer. I'm the author.

Reactions: XhenEd

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
For Torrent and Files I use - Free Download Manager
For Youtube Video I use - Video Download Helper Firefox Extension.
Sometimes for Video I use - clipconverter.cc

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.