• Other (Please tell)

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i voted other since you forgot to add zemana mobile security to your poll ;)

in order of preference :

01. zemana anti-virus & security >>> anti-virus + anti-logger

02. bitdefender antivirus >>> super fast scans & no ads

03. sophos mobile security >>> all round security

Takemaster

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2017
Hello. Thanks to everyone. I can't add some products like Zemana, Mcafee, Malwarebytes etc. Because of limits. Have a nice day!

Takemaster

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2017
Norton. It advises you about risky apps before downloadng in Google play. Protection of every browser you need.. and a fantastic detection rate.
I tried Norton, but it hasn't got fullscan and its SafeSearch is powered by Ask? Are Norton kidding us?

Reactions: CodaPG and ttto

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Here's a thread with some useful info/report: Android AVTest with only 3 AV's getting 100% Realtime Protection scores

I tried Norton, but it hasn't got fullscan and its SafeSearch is powered by Ask? Are Norton kidding us?
Norton does have "Scan SD Card" and scan "Preinstalled Apps" option in settings. Everything's covered already.
I myself use Norton Security and it provides valuable data on apps as compared to most other AVs, before and after installation. Here's a little review I've written based on my experience. I have Zemana as an on-demand scanner especially for detecting unwanted keyloggers.
There's no need for antivirus on Android because of Google Play Protect.
I always strongly advise against antivirus apps for Android if Marshmallow or higher. Still, if you think you need one, Sophos is the best option since it includes all needed modules and specifications all free.
The smartphone user needs to be educated well and follow preventive practices before discarding any benefits of Android AVs. Some of them have more to offer than basic apk-scanning (eg. privacy advisor and community watch, noted changes in app behavior, info on what data is being sent out and where, etc) and these can help make decisions on new/unknown apps. Some of them can be just a wastage of juice. Some might be insightful against potentially dangerous apps.
I do not consider extras like anti-theft, call blockers.. important in anyway unless they provide some new functionality that will lead their class of applications.
Prudent use of the Security provisions being built inside Android can greatly reduce the need for the so-called-antiviruses though.
We all have to see what all can it do and how far will Play Protect go to protect the devices.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
If you only download apps from the Play Store (which most users should do), there's absolutely no need for any third-party AV beside the already built-in Google Play Protect. Save your money. Ditto.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
There's no need for antivirus on Android because of Google Play Protect.

seriously :ROFLMAO: may the force be with you :LOL:

If you only download apps from the Play Store (which most users should do), there's absolutely no need for any third-party AV

say what? have you not been reading the news bits here on MT about the amount of malicious apps in the play store (n)

Reactions: hamo

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

say what? have you not been reading the news bits here on MT about the amount of malicious apps in the play store (n)

The few malicious apps that somehow manage to be accepted by Google in the Play Store are removed some hours after. Usually they have very suspicious names and honestly, you would need to be doing very strange searches so that they even appear to you.
Also, what can you guarantee that an AV would have the signatures for so-recent apps?
Is Android with an AV a bit safer? Yes. Is an AV worth it to install on Android given its price and battery comsuption? No.
But I respect your point of view friend, which you seem not to do very often in this forum.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

Yes, seriously. The only thing antiviruses for Android do is use battery and mobile data, that's all. Even if I installed malicious app, antivirus can't delete it because of Android's permission. Antivirus will just warn you that you have virus installed and eventually take you to settings and recommend uninstallation. Keep in mind that mobile antiviruses don't work the same way PC ones work. Antiviruses for PC have a lot more permissions and they are deeply integrated with OS while antiviruses for Android are just apps that scan installed apps, nothing else. Google Play Protect scans installed apps every day and monitors their behaviour.

Besides that, Play Store shows you the list of permissions required by app so yo can identify malware yourself. If you see app that provides 'magical' features and has access to most (if not all) permissions, it's most likely malware.

Chances of getting malware from Google Play are really small, as well. Google scans every app when publishing to Play Store. Sure, it missed few but these don't do any damage except show you bunch of ads. Like it never happened that some antivirus for PC didn't detect threat. :LOL:

Takemaster

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2017
The few malicious apps that somehow manage to be accepted by Google in the Play Store are removed some hours after. Usually they have very suspicious names and honestly, you would need to be doing very strange searches so that they even appear to you.
Also, what can you guarantee that an AV would have the signatures for so-recent apps?
Is Android with an AV a bit safer? Yes. Is an AV worth it to install on Android given its price and battery comsuption? No.
But I respect your point of view friend, which you seem not to do very often in this forum.

Yes, seriously. The only thing antiviruses for Android do is use battery and mobile data, that's all. Even if I installed malicious app, antivirus can't delete it because of Android's permission. Antivirus will just warn you that you have virus installed and eventually take you to settings and recommend uninstallation. Keep in mind that mobile antiviruses don't work the same way PC ones work. Antiviruses for PC have a lot more permissions and they are deeply integrated with OS while antiviruses for Android are just apps that scan installed apps, nothing else. Google Play Protect scans installed apps every day and monitors their behaviour.

Besides that, Play Store shows you the list of permissions required by app so yo can identify malware yourself. If you see app that provides 'magical' features and has access to most (if not all) permissions, it's most likely malware.

Chances of getting malware from Google Play are really small, as well. Google scans every app when publishing to Play Store. Sure, it missed few but these don't do any damage except show you bunch of ads. Like it never happened that some antivirus for PC didn't detect threat. :LOL:

Google Play Protect is available! Keep an on demand scanner, as most antivirus apps run in the background, wasting resources.
Hello! Thanks for everyone's reply, I'm using Mobile antiviruses as an on-demand scanner too. Have a nice day!

Reactions: SpartacusSystem

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.