Battle Best Android browser?

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
What browser on Android do you all think is the fastest and uses the least battery, and possibly has the best privacy and security?

I have heard quite a lot of good things about Brave and Puffin. It would be really nice to have one that saves on battery, because when I use Chrome it uses my battery a lot.

I'm just interested to see what you guys use.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use Chrome and I'm happy with it. I don't know if it is the "best" browser and I don't really care either, as it works well enough for me considering how little I use it. I rarely browse the web on my phone or tablet as I feel that it provides a terrible experience compared to on a PC.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Not true. Opera does it too with the built-in adblocker.
I just installed Opera v49.2.2361.134358 and enabled 'Block cookie dialogs' it still cannot block the cookie pop up message on

Wilders Security Forums
MalwareTips Forums
Threatpost.com
Infosecurity-magazine.com

Can you try the sites and see?

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
FF Quantum only because you

1) Can add extensions
2) Can add filters to extension like uBO
3) Can change preference settings for enhanced privacy/security/speed
4) As a main stream browser it's supported by some web filters of paid AVs
5) So far it's the only browser that can remove the annoying cookie pop up message on websites because of its ability to add extension and filters

Yeah, Firefox is the only smartphone browser that supports extensions and it can actually install majority of those available for desktop. Which is certainly an unique feature. Opera on the other hand comes loaded with everything you need so I often don't really find the need to add anything to it.

What I wonder tho, don't people use bookmarks syncing? I can't imagine using a phone without also having ALL bookmarks from desktop on it. So, using anything other than Firefox or Opera is pretty much out of the question because other browsers like Brave or DuckDuckGo's browser simply don't have that feature.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Try Yandex browser. It has extension support just like samsung browser (I use Adguard extension from playstore), text wrapping/reflow (for websites with no mobile version), news feed (can be disabled), power saving mode, biometric password manager/autofill, bottom url bar, turbo mode (like opera), sync with desktop browser, automatically encrypt on unsecured WiFi, pretty customizable (background etc.) and pretty fast.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yeah, Firefox is the only smartphone browser that supports extensions and it can actually install majority of those available for desktop. Which is certainly an unique feature. Opera on the other hand comes loaded with everything you need so I often don't really find the need to add anything to it.

What I wonder tho, don't people use bookmarks syncing? I can't imagine using a phone without also having ALL bookmarks from desktop on it. So, using anything other than Firefox or Opera is pretty much out of the question because other browsers like Brave or DuckDuckGo's browser simply don't have that feature.
Yes, Brave and Opera come preloaded with some protection but how effective are they versus those extensions and preferences you can set in FF Quantum?

Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I just installed Opera v49.2.2361.134358 and enabled 'Block cookie dialogs' it still cannot block the cookie pop up message on

Wilders Security Forums
MalwareTips Forums
Threatpost.com
Infosecurity-magazine.com

Can you try the sites and see?
It doesn't work on those sites yet. It's still a new feature, so it's not perfect yet. Anyway, I think it was the main feature Opera mobile was missing. Now it's a complete browser.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Depending on how much Security and privacy you are looking for, Firefox, or Brave are the better choices. However, if you like Chrome, but hate the ads, then use this global adblocker, Blokada - the best ad blocker for Android, free and open source

As for all the other choices, worst are Opera & Dolphin, because they are Owned by Chinese Co.,and I believe a few others on the list are too.

Firefox is the only browser that allows hardening through extensions and gives access to internal browser settings. A light choice for those with little storage would be Firefox Focus.

Actually I use several versions of Firefox, Brave, Naked Browser, and Chrome just for certain things. If you want to remove ads from chrome, use this global adblocker:
Blokada - the best ad blocker for Android, free and open source

I can't believe folks here at MT use Opera & Dolphin. XDA Developers has a big thread in forums about Dolphin. I suggest reading it. As for Opera, it was sold to some of the worst tech companies in China, who have been routinely cited for violating privacy. Any browser, security app, file manager by Chinese developers are a YUGE risk! Because they ask for nearly every permission available, have full access to data, and can easily add code later on. And I can't stress this enough, DON'T USE ANY Cheetah Mobile Products!!!

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Brave = good adblocker + fast web browsing :love:

The biggest issue with Brave on Android, is the lack of an account to save bookmarks. If you reinstall on a new device, or reinstall because it was acting up, you better find a way to manually export bookmarks, and import them back, one at a time. There are work around, like saving bookmarks to another app, like a clipboard manager, or other browser.

Reactions: Nevi

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Depending on how much Security and privacy you are looking for, Firefox, or Brave are the better choices. However, if you like Chrome, but hate the ads, then use this global adblocker, Blokada - the best ad blocker for Android, free and open source

As for all the other choices, worst are Opera & Dolphin, because they are Owned by Chinese Co.,and I believe a few others on the list are too.

Firefox is the only browser that allows hardening through extensions and gives access to internal browser settings. A light choice for those with little storage would be Firefox Focus.

Actually I use several versions of Firefox, Brave, Naked Browser, and Chrome just for certain things. If you want to remove ads from chrome, use this global adblocker:

I can't believe folks here at MT use Opera & Dolphin. XDA Developers has a big thread in forums about Dolphin. I suggest reading it. As for Opera, it was sold to some of the worst tech companies in China, who have been routinely cited for violating privacy. Any browser, security app, file manager by Chinese developers are a YUGE risk! Because they ask for nearly every permission available, have full access to data, and can easily add code later on. And I can't stress this enough, DON'T USE ANY Cheetah Mobile Products!!!
I suggest you try Adguard Premium for Android Nightly as well.

Q&A - AdGuard for Android Premium (Nightly v3.x) - Anyone using it?

Blokada is great because it's FREE and open source. Putting money aside I tell you Adguard Premium is the best choice among others like Blokada, NetGuard, AdClear, DNS 66 etc. It blocks ads in movie apps such as Cinema HD, Show Box, Newest Movies HD etc which others fail to block.

Adguard also has other features that Blokada lacks like

1) HTTPS filtering
2) Firewall
3) Supports DoH (DNS-over-HTTPS)

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

Opera is developed by Norwegian staff. As for the owners of the company, the Chinese are no worse than the American.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
But uBO with its filters is more than just an adblocker i.e. it's a wide-spectrum blocker
The majority of people use uBO in its default configuration so the only major difference is that Brave uses different filter lists, has no ability to add custom lists and doesn't include cosmetic filtering yet. And just so you're aware, Brave's included filter lists are:
  • EasyList
  • EasyPrivacy
  • uBlock Unbreak
  • Brave Unbreak
  • NoCoin
  • Spam404
  • Disconnect Simple Malware
There's also a bunch of regional lists which users will have the option to activate in the future.

Last edited:

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
I suggest you try Adguard Premium for Android Nightly as well.

Q&A - AdGuard for Android Premium (Nightly v3.x) - Anyone using it?

Blokada is great because it's FREE and open source. Putting money aside I tell you Adguard Premium is the best choice among others like Blokada, NetCraft, AdClear, DNS 66 etc. It blocks ads in movie apps such as Cinema HD, Show Box, Newest Movies HD etc which others fail to block.

Adguard also has other features that Blokada lacks like

1) HTTPS filtering
2) Firewall
3) Supports DoH (DNS-over-HTTPS)

Thanks HarborFront, here's a new one for you to look at. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.icsi.haystack It has firewall features, and lots more, like https filtering too. Also, Netguard, downloaded from GitHub, has these options, but if you want the pro features, download from playstore, pay for upgrade which your device will recognize after you delete the playstore version, and start the GitHub version. Netguard GitHub link in playstore description.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Opera is developed by Norwegian staff. As for the owners of the company, the Chinese are no worse than the American.

Um, sorry, but you are woefully lacking serious information, too much to post here. Do your homework. Don't mislead folks who want to remain safe, and have privacy protected too.

Reactions: Nevi

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks HarborFront, here's a new one for you to look at. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.icsi.haystack It has firewall features, and lots more, like https filtering too. Also, Netguard, downloaded from GitHub, has these options, but if you want the pro features, download from playstore, pay for upgrade which your device will recognize after you delete the playstore version, and start the GitHub version. Netguard GitHub link in playstore description.
Similar to Lumen

Android - Lumen Privacy Monitor Detects Apps That Leak Personal Data

would be Recon

Android - ReCon: Watch who is watching you, and block unwanted privacy leaks

One thing you must understand. All these apps creates a local VPN and android only supports 1 VPN at any instance.

If you use AdGuard Premium you have all-in-one app.

Lumen has a pretty good set of features but its filtering is not that good as compared to AdGuard Premium which has a whole set of filters and DNS filtering as well

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.