Advice Request Best antivirus for offline computer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Thanks to @everyone for all the great ideas.
Yeah, OSArmor recently added USB protection, so that's pretty irresistible. Thanks to those who mentioned it.
OSA+McShield+Avast free is the config I am going with, and if I get more ambitious, I can add a default/deny app.
And thanks to @TairikuOkami for the good news that Avast registration is now optional. Cool!
PS This computer is mainly used by the children -- and their friends. Just trying to keep it safe and in operating order for them.

Unless you put some kind of firm default-deny on that system that stops the kids from doing "stuff," which is what you're trying to avoid = provide them default allow, you're going to have to do manual cleanup sooner or later. And, if you are letting out-of-household guests BYOD, and they end up putting something pernicious on that system, it can spread to your other systems. You have to look at the risk factors.

With kids, this is your answer to avoid the rigmarole of manual cleanup, but it isn't going to necessarily minimize the risk of spreading: Reboot Restore Rx Freeware | PC Time Machine Windows System Restore Software

Evidently other people beat me to the post, but it doesn't matter. It's the point that matters. Save yourself the hassle of cleanup.

OSArmor doesn't disable enough stuff.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Unless you put some kind of firm default-deny on that system that stops the kids from doing "stuff," which is what you're trying to avoid = provide them default allow, you're going to have to do manual cleanup sooner or later. And, if you are letting out-of-household guests BYOD, and they end up putting something pernicious on that system, it can spread to your other systems. You have to look at the risk factors.

With kids, this is your answer to avoid the rigmarole of manual cleanup, but it isn't going to necessarily minimize the risk of spreading: Reboot Restore Rx Freeware | PC Time Machine Windows System Restore Software

Evidently other people beat me to the post, but it doesn't matter. It's the point that matters. Save yourself the hassle of cleanup.

OSArmor doesn't disable enough stuff.

Right on. This machine is guaranteed a cleanup REGARDLESS of what security you put on because of defaulting to allow. Reboot Restore RX is a solution but can 'frustrate' the hell out of average-joes because it can wipe game saves and other stuff.

I'd recommend a Desktop Chromebox running ChromeOS.. Then you can just powerwash it once a year or soemthing and clean it right up in 20 seconds, leaving all of the security theater behind.

Household guests on my network won't happen. Ever. I run strict physical port segregation and VDOMS even for internal users. But I am even more vicious to my house guests, they are tossed on a wide open physically isolated DMZ. I don't want them anywhere, and it is not my problem to deal with, a DMZ guarantees that.

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks to @everyone for all the great ideas.
Yeah, OSArmor recently added USB protection, so that's pretty irresistible. Thanks to those who mentioned it.
OSA+McShield+Avast free is the config I am going with, and if I get more ambitious, I can add a default/deny app.
And thanks to @TairikuOkami for the good news that Avast registration is now optional. Cool!
PS This computer is mainly used by the children -- and their friends. Just trying to keep it safe and in operating order for them.

Have you thought about installing a special operating system for children?
You may find this information interesting

Linux for kids

You can use a DNS service that blocks inappropriate content or install specific parental control software.

Reactions: bribon77

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I would still install something light like Avast just to turn off Windows Defender. But I would reduce its protection to the minimum.
As long as the computer from which you transfer files is protected you should have some sort of herd immunity.

Right on. This machine is guaranteed a cleanup REGARDLESS of what security you put on because of defaulting to allow. Reboot Restore RX is a solution but can 'frustrate' the hell out of average-joes because it can wipe game saves and other stuff.

I'd recommend a Desktop Chromebox running ChromeOS.. Then you can just powerwash it once a year or soemthing and clean it right up in 20 seconds, leaving all of the security theater behind.

Household guests on my network won't happen. Ever. I run strict physical port segregation and VDOMS even for internal users. But I am even more vicious to my house guests, they are tossed on a wide open physically isolated DMZ. I don't want them anywhere, and it is not my problem to deal with, a DMZ guarantees that.

He is letting kids use an un-networked tower PC.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks, guys.
Shadow Defender and similar solutions don't fit the needs of this computer, because the kids store music, pics, and school projects on it. So they don't want all of that to vanish at reboot. But I do take a system image from time to time.

Traditional AV is not totally worthless, because the computer is not exposed to zero-days due to lack of internet access. Avast has an offline updater, so it is better than nothing, IMO.

If another infection occurs, I will have to install a default/deny solution.

But @Lockdown's comment that this computer could spread infection to my other computers is an important point. I didn't think about that. duh!

Reactions: bribon77 and neon

Then who cares, let them use it and wipe it every 6 months. I'd just leave Forticlient with full Zoo download on it for offline AV.

Carelessly connecting a USB to that system and then connect that USB to the networked PCs. LOL... I'm not saying BadUSB, but just sayin'... people forget. It is easy enough to do.

Candyland infection will be about it, but you know how it is. Anything is possible.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
If the router can handle it, it can be set to allow the PC to go online during a particular time just to allow the security software to update.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Not sure if anybody mentioned it but what about using Linux? Wont't most windows stuff can't be spread there?
In SD you can exclude folders (for kids stuff). How having a folder with infected stuff on a otherwise clean system is another thing :D

Allena

Level 1
Feb 8, 2018
No one actually knows which anti-virus is THE best. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Ratings, performance and security of the applications changed month to month, it would be hard to establish one. However, there are a couple of possibilities to explore.
Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well (Not the best by any means, but well). The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job.

So, for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable. But if you are worried about the performance of your PC, Windows Defender is your best option.

With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the popular software solutions will be solid as well. My recommendations towards ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Comodo Firewall with cruelsister's settings. That's all you'll need.

For USB protection, McShield will do (though I never use it anymore, outdated for me)

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.