Advice Request Best antivirus for offline computer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have an old desktop sitting in a back room, running Windows 7 32 bit, no internet connection over there. It has AVG free, which used to allow installation of definition and program updates offline. No more.

The computer got infected yesterday from a kid's flash drive, I cleaned it up with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.

But the real question is: what kind of AV can I use for a PC without internet connection? I need to be able to install it and update it offline. It's just too much of a schlep to drag the old clunker to the router and hook it up with monitor and keyboard and mouse every time I want to update the definitions.

Or maybe I should just install a USB protection? What do you say?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
One option is to get a USB WiFi adapter so that the PC can connect to your router wirelessly. You can then install your AV and update the signatures wirelessly
Technically, it's an option, but I want to keep this computer offline. If I start plugging in an external internet adapter, the kids will learn from my bad example, and it will turn into an online computer before long.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
tweaked avast + MCshield ? :unsure:
disable some craps of avast, keep the file shield only. web shield and behavior shield require the internet

I found kaspersky and norton are not good against USB viruses. kaspersky takes too long to scan a USB but its good heuristics can save the day
avira is supprisingly good due to its good heurictics

install a light AV + MCshield is the best way, IMO. USB is the only way for infection and MCshield can kill them all

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
tweaked avast + MCshield ? :unsure:
disable some craps of avast, keep the file shield only. web shield and behavior shield require the internet

I found kaspersky and norton are not good against USB viruses. kaspersky takes too long to scan a USB but its good heuristics can save the day
avira is supprisingly good due to its good heurictics

install a light AV + MCshield is the best way, IMO. USB is the only way for infection and MCshield can kill them all
Do I have to register Avast free by internet in order for it to work?

I have an old desktop sitting in a back room, running Windows 7 32 bit, no internet connection over there. It has AVG free, which used to allow installation of definition and program updates offline. No more.

The computer got infected yesterday from a kid's flash drive, I cleaned it up with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.

But the real question is: what kind of AV can I use for a PC without internet connection? I need to be able to install it and update it offline. It's just too much of a schlep to drag the old clunker to the router and hook it up with monitor and keyboard and mouse every time I want to update the definitions.

Or maybe I should just install a USB protection? What do you say?

The primary infection route is USB. Grab BiniSoft's USB Control and prevent people from connection. Plus default-deny on top of it - whatever you choose. Disable half of Windows.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Perhaps Dr.Web CureIt could also fit your needs because it's 100% Free and does not require installation but no offline updates so you have to transfer the latest version to the PC each and every time you want it with the latest updates.

What the? I just read...quote : " To use Dr.Web CureIt! (Free Edition), you must run the program under an account with administrative privileges and have connection to the Internet. " :sleep:

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You don't need AV, you need something like novirusthanks osarmor
The virus this PC got hit by was so ancient and so stupid, I don't know if OSA is even designed for that.

Reactions: upnorth
D

Deleted member 178

use a portable on-demand scanner, put it on USB, update it on your main PC, scan the offline PC. which one could fit this description...?
Ah yes! Emsisoft Emergency Kit ;p

btw, i was in this situation, i used only SRP or anti-exe on it.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The primary infection route is USB. Grab BiniSoft's USB Control and prevent people from connection. Plus default-deny on top of it - whatever you choose. Disable half of Windows.
Binisoft USB Control looks good. I didn't know about it. You can disable execution for all USB devices, so it is tantamount to a lockdown config for an offline computer

Reactions: bribon77

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Do I have to register Avast free by internet in order for it to work?
I have no idea. It has been discussing on avast forum but there is no final answer yet. They said it can automatically register for the new license but I doubt that

ps: you can try to immunize the USB and disable all the autoplay function on your laptop so malwares won't start up automatically. Binisoft tool is a great tool to start
how about running mcshield + binisoft?

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@shmu26 How about Shadow Defender? After the kids got playing on the pc just reboot it and all stuff is back to normal.
Not sure if you need to be online once for the key check to see if its legit.
Maybe you got some 15 meters of lan cable from lan party days when you were young to avoid carrying the pc :D

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.