Best AV for AMD W8.1 Systems

H

hjlbx

Thread author
@hjlbx
That being said i am not sure why you encounter problems with AMD and KAV/KIS products and why you would say that AMD is low end.
Low end use to be the case years ago.

Nowaday's AMD rivals INTEL in many ways and some of their CPU"s have actually a lower speed then INTEL but much higher burst speed.

Just saying buddy.

Cheers

I really think Kaspersky products are first rate. The issue with KIS seems to be settings specific... now that others using Intel systems have reported the same issue.

I understand what you are saying Nico@FMA .

Here in the US, AMD processors are virtually always offered on sub- US $400 laptops - to keep the prices down. Rarely will one find one of AMD's higher-spec CPUs offered through retailers. The reality is that AMD is offered through Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Staples... These outfits just don't offer the newest AMD FX series - with the exception of Best Buy website or purchasing FX system online.

So the typical AMD CPU\APU immediately available here is no better than an Intel i5... but one can get it with effort.

I have two AMD A8-6410 which, at the time of purchase, were considered low-end... they are good enough for typical daily use, but not anything more than very basic gaming - they can't handle more demanding graphics and CPU gets over-taxed.

I have been using AMD for quite some time. It is picky about what it gets along with as far as softs. The point I was making is that the user has to consider that softs may not always work as intended with all hardware\firmware.

My Intel systems always perform better...

AMD does not compete with Intel at the cutting edge, e.g. i7 4940 level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nightwalker

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I really think Kaspersky products are first rate. The issue with KIS seems to be settings specific... now that others using Intel systems have reported the same issue.

I understand what you are saying Nico@FMA .

Here in the US, AMD processors are virtually always offered on sub- US $400 laptops - to keep the prices down. Rarely will one find one of AMD's higher-spec CPUs offered through retailers. The reality is that AMD is offered through Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Staples... These outfits just don't offer the newest AMD FX series - with the exception of Best Buy or purchasing FX system online.

I have been using AMD for quite some time. It is picky about what it gets along with as far as softs. The point I was making is that the user has to consider that softs may not always work as intended with all hardware\firmware.

My Intel systems always perform better...

Granted you are right about the low end laptops but the main reason they are bad (generally) is not because AMD does not offer the speed and computing power as AMD or intel for that matter has plenty to offer. Its more that the internal MOBO chipsets do have the AMD or NVidea, ATI or intel label yet the chip is made with either refurbished tools or are lower grade chips. Hence why those laptops can be sold very cheap.

However if you would buy the same Laptop but then with default factory quality chipsets then you will see if you put a AMD next to a Intel that they would outperform each other within their respective plus points.
Because while AMD and Intel are both CPU brands they have specific things that would swing the benefit either to AMD or Intel.

On a personal note: It really does not matter if you buy a i7 or the latest AMD beasts,
The difference can be marginal, though, depending on what you're trying to do. You may struggle to notice much difference in gaming and overall performance, and if you're planning to overclock your chosen CPU – and your target applications make good use of multiple cores – then AMD may sometimes offer equivalent or better speeds for much less cash.

In regards to Kaspersky to stay on topic, a few years ago many AV brands including Kas... signed a agreement with chipset manufactures to make sure that AV programs run equally well and offer the same protection regardless if you run Intel or AMD.
Because as mentioned before some systems are 100% AMD based specially in the industry and lesser security is not a option.
Some of my clients have AMD driven servers and they outperform Intel by a long shot, yet the security applications perform equal.

However regarding what you said, low end chipsets could be the reason for the problems with some AV brands, because lets take some Nvidea video cards... some of them are so cheap yet they have the Nvidea stamp on it.
But what people do not realize is that its just a bare bone stripped version of the equivalent card that has highend full option Nvidea on it.
So that might actually be the cullprit.

Cheers

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I have an Intel i7 with 42GB, are i7's any good (I hope so amount I paid?) I really love Kaspersky, their software is revolutionary and offers protection most others never thought possible. My mate has put Bitdefender GravityZone Endpoint Protection on mine, it seems okay, but I never understand the difference. If I get infected, I will kill him!

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan, but I don't like it, never knew whether it's any good.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I have an Intel i7 with 42GB, are i7's any good (I hope so amount I paid?) I really love Kaspersky, their software is revolutionary and offers protection most others never thought possible. My mate has put Bitdefender GravityZone Endpoint Protection on mine, it seems okay, but I never understand the difference. If I get infected, I will kill him!

I7 Cpu's are beast just like their AMD counterparts.
The I7 is Intel's flagship CPU and as such they are top notch like you would expect from any flagship edition.
This same applies for AMD their end tier CPU's are just as good, yet a bit cheaper.
I would say that the money on either CPU is well spend, but personally i think that Intel always have been a bit overpriced.
I mean the difference between a classic I7 and a classic AMD is almost 200 euro yet they are equal in performance and quality.

Cheers

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Best AV for 8.1 system? ;)

Windows Defender, which very stable at all matters; nothing less and more you don't need to complain much...

Third party AV are sometimes focus more on protection and performance wise are a bit problem from system varies.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
@offtopic

The problem with AMD processors nowdays is that they have low IPC performance, so they struggle in applications that arent multi thread optimized (some antivirus features arent)

AMD is very competitive in applications that uses many threads as possible (like Handbreaker/Blender), but sucks in single thread performance, in a sense they are competitive in "professional" usage (Encoding/transcoding/Rendering/Servers)

When AMD Bulldozer was released it was actually slower than Phenom II in many scenarios while consuming more energy. Time proved that AMD architecture design (Speed-Demon + CMT) was a bad move, thats why AMD new architecture called Zen wont be SpeedDemon design, but it will be a Brainiac.

AMD Zen will have the same focus that Intel has on its "Core" architecture family and that is high IPC performance, low latency cores, low power usage.

While Nico has a good point, in my opinion AMD isnt competitive compared to Intel I7, actually Core I5 mid-end can beat AMD FX high end processors in many scenarios (gaming too), so the cost x benefit of AMD for many users sucks, dont forget about AMD high energy consumption.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_processor_review,13.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_processor_review,18.html

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.