Best BB for win 10?

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
What is the best Behavior Blocker for Windows 10? What will stop the most malware, specifically deadly and 0 day malware. I am trying to pretty much replace signatures as I am striving for bullet proof. Thanks in advance!

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
- Kaspersky
- G Data
- ESET

But really, I think almost all AVs have behavior blockers. Some have just made BB as their strongest marketing point. Some have not. For example, ESET and Kaspersky employ BB through monitoring and blocking any running malicious file, without solely relying on signatures.

For me, personally, I would use Kaspersky, Emsisoft, or ESET for BB. :)

D

Deleted member 178

- Kaspersky
- G Data
- ESET

But really, I think almost all AVs have behavior blockers. Some have just made BB as their strongest marketing point. Some have not. For example, ESET and Kaspersky employ BB through monitoring and blocking any running malicious file, without solely relying on signatures.

For me, personally, I would use Kaspersky, Emsisoft, or ESET for BB. :)

Afaik, KIS and ESET are HIPS.
G-Data is a BB indeed

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Afaik, KIS and ESET are HIPS.
G-Data is a BB indeed
Kaspersky has Dangerous Application Behavior detection, which I presume to be a behavior blocker, as part of the System Watcher module. :)
Maybe this is still relevant: What is the Proactive Defense component in Kaspersky Internet Security 2012?

ESET's way of blocking running zero-day malware tells me that it monitors application behavior, which to me refers to behavior blocker. :)
Of course, this is part of the overarching category of ESET's HIPS. :)

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Kaspersky has Dangerous Application Behavior detection, which I presume to be a behavior blocker, as part of the System Watcher module. :)
Maybe this is still relevant: What is the Proactive Defense component in Kaspersky Internet Security 2012?

ESET's way of blocking running zero-day malware tells me that it monitors application behavior, which to me refers to behavior blocker. :)
That can also mean it's HIPS/HIDS. Monitoring the host isn't exactly limited to that category

D

Deleted member 178

Now we must recognize marketing language of the vendor, from your article description, seems look a BB indeed; but from here , they say HIPS as an Applicaton Control which is more related to the HIPS (as a feature) : "Kaspersky product is not providing complete protection of your data: HIPS protection is disabled" message when opening Protected Browser

HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) by defintion is a category term referencing to a feature that monitor changes in the host
Host-based intrusion prevention system (HIPS): an installed software package which monitors a single host for suspicious activity by analyzing events occurring within that host.
and includes:
- HIPS (the feature) as we used to know it , the chatty thingy that spawn rain of alerts. Basically HIPS (as a feature) monitors activity and actions that occurs on the system without distinction if the process monitored is legit or not. Hence, the high number of alerts because all actions are covered. What is Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) and how does it work? and HIPS Explained

- Behavior Blocker uses algorithms to assess the process and tell the legitimacy of its modus operanti. It is why you have less alerts.

- The network counterpart are IPS (Intrusion Prevention System)

As i read the forum , and what i see people talking, KIS is more an Application Control (which is closest to an HIPS because it doesn't use algorithms)

ESET act as Comodo and is the most chatty HIPS ever rivaling Comodo in Paranoid mode in term of alerts. Far from being a BB.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
From what I understand with Kaspersky, HIPS is separate, but connected, from its BB/System Watcher.

Yes, Kaspersky's HIPS is more concerned with Application Control (categorizing programs according to a set of criteria). If you enable "interactive protection", you enable its chatty side. :D

From what I understand, Kaspersky's BB is with the System Watcher (notice that Application Control module is separate from System Watcher). I usually see Dangerous Application Behavior detection in the Malware Hub. Application Control categorizes malware in the Hub as Low/High restricted, but it's the System Watcher that does the cleaning/disinfecting/rollback.

Maybe, @harlan4096 can be the authority here. :D

D

Deleted member 178

From what I understand with Kaspersky, HIPS is separate, but connected, from its BB/System Watcher.

That is good if they have both.

Yes, Kaspersky's HIPS is more concerned with Application Control (categorizing programs according to a set of criteria). If you enable "interactive protection", you enable its chatty side. :D

From what I understand, Kaspersky's BB is with the System Watcher (notice that Application Control module is separate from System Watcher).

So if you are correct KIS , like comodo, has both BB & HIPS.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the OP is asking for a signature-less solution.
So I would say the best answer is
1 DeepArmor (must apply for beta and wait a month until you hear from them)
2 Wave's new product, which did not come out yet.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, Application Control, FireWall and WebCam Protection are directly connected in Kaspersky, indirectly connected with others modules... and yes its BB and formerly called "Proactive Defence" was integrated some years ago in System Watcher.

And I love Interactive Mode and chatty side :D:p:rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.