Battle Best Chrome Security Extensions?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Development stopped on Lazarus many months ago; it quit working properly. You may want to test it.

The only "traffic light" extension I've found that flagged sites that my clients have or would have fallen for is Web-of-Trust.

In addition to uBlock Origin, I'm also using:
HTTPS Everywhere
Metadefender
Netcraft (though not sure it's useful after all this but I don't notice any slowdowns at all)

Avoid Panda; it is really heavy, flagged as PUP/malware by several on-demand scanners, and will cripple your system and network under heavy load.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Generally, I'm an advocate of uBlock Origin for all users (which you already have). Aside from the traditional website blocking filters, it also has several malware-blocking filters, which should suffice as basic URL protection (the main advantage of this is the excellent performance of the extension - no slowdowns at all).

As far as other extensions are concerned, perhaps you could try HTTPS Everywhere to make sure you get the best of HTTPS in every site you visit, especially when HTTPS browsing is supported, but not enabled by default on those sites.

Personally, I stopped using all those "URL analysis" extensions a lont time ago. I had tried WoT, Avira for a while, and last one was TrafficLight. I have to say I liked TrafficLight best, however I still got rid of it, on the basis of redundancy (in my case).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
They will. Dont use Ublock Origin and Avira/ BitDefender. ONLY Ublock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere or Avira/BitDefender and an adblocker with HTTPS everywhere.
they say conflict but actually not. I'm sure that won't conflict. They just try to block the same link

similar to windows, A deletes a file, B also wants to delete the same file but A deletes it already. Then B says "Wait, where is my file? I can't delete it. Conflict!!!" I have been using them (BD, avira, ublock) for a year without problems. Ignore the conflict message

Reactions: Rolo

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Can someone check out how much of memory is uBlock Origin using? Thanks. :)
Here is how much Adguard Browser Extension uses.

Screenshot_2.png

Reactions: Rengar

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

View attachment 138729
for sure ublock uses more memory than adguard as adguard tweaked something to make it use less RAM. However adguard for chrome is much less customizable than ublock and it's much easier to manage/add/remove filters from ublock (according to the last time I tried it on chrome). ublock with a lot of custom filters is ~40-70Mb depends on the machines (pagefile usage is different for everyone)

Reactions: Marko :) and Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
they say conflict but actually not. I'm sure that won't conflict. They just try to block the same link

similar to windows, A deletes a file, B also wants to delete the same file but A deletes it already. Then B says "Wait, where is my file? I can't delete it. Conflict!!!" I have been using them (BD, avira, ublock) for a year without problems. Ignore the conflict message
I agree, you can use them all but i dont like the conflict message :)

View attachment 138729
That depends on how many tabs you have opened. For example right know i have 6 tabs open and its using like 55MB. HTTPS Everywhere is using 150+MB.

Reactions: mal1 and Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
for sure ublock uses more memory than adguard as adguard tweaked something to make it use less RAM. However adguard for chrome is much less customizable than ublock and it's much easier to manage/add/remove filters from ublock (according to the last time I tried it on chrome). ublock with a lot of custom filters is ~40-70Mb depends on the machines (pagefile usage is different for everyone)
There are 70 filters in browser extension which you can activate. If you want some filters to be added to Adguard, you can ask staff on Adguard forum and they will add them. I asked them for one filter and they had added it in next update. Also, you can add filters from web if you want but they will be added to user filter. ;)
I agree, you can use them all but i dont like the conflict message :)

That depends on how many tabs you have opened. For example right know i have 6 tabs open and its using like 55MB. HTTPS Everywhere is using 150+MB.
With 7 tabs opened, Adguard uses 41 MB. Awesome! :D

Screenshot_1.png

Reactions: Rengar

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.