Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I actually found in running game benchmarks that Microsoft Defender had the lowest or equal to the lowest impact. Comparable to Bitdefender. AVG reproducibly lowered frame rates at high frame rates in every game I tested and Time Spy benchmarks by about 8%. They won’t even acknowledge that it happens when I sent a bug report.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I didn't include the GPU tests when using Novabench. I also don't know if gaming mode or similar in some AVs might help.

markstitovits

Level 2
Thread author
Sep 13, 2022
Kaspersky would stop some pages from opening and I discovered it was a conflict with desktop Adguard. I disabled the Kaspersky plugin, and in Kaspersky's preferences , I turned off navigation privacy and banner protection and the problem was gone.

Avast was the one that gave me the least problems these last years except for false positives in some legitimate sites that took them a long time to fix. It also slowed down the computer a little more than the other solutions I tested.
I have also experienced the same with these products. Avast always interfered with steam downloads too. Even though I added the steam folders, install folder and steam download servers to the exclusions list.

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
All security programs will cause some problems. Bitdefender used to block my wife's company VPN so she couldn't remotely work from home because she couldn't connect to the company servers. I opened a hole in the firewall with rules that worked until a software update made connection impossible again. It came to a point where I had to switch to another solution because I got tired of working around it every time. I have no idea if this problem persists, it's been almost 2 years since I last used it.

ESET used to block all my network printers, but eventually they solved that.

Kaspersky would stop some pages from opening and I discovered it was a conflict with desktop Adguard. I disabled the Kaspersky plugin, and in Kaspersky's preferences , I turned off navigation privacy and banner protection and the problem was gone.

Avast was the one that gave me the least problems these last years except for false positives in some legitimate sites that took them a long time to fix. It also slowed down the computer a little more than the other solutions I tested.

In short, all solutions cause some networking problems, often there is a work around.
How about Panda Free Antivirus? that will not touch your internet connection, just a good ol' file scanner

Reactions: Trident

pvsurfer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
Why is Wisevector gone? Can you please elaborate more on this?
For over 2 years of beta-testing (by a good many MT and Wilders members) WVSX 'assured us' that they would continue to provide a free version as well as an enhanced paid version of their very promising antimalware. Around December of last year all program and signature updates (as well as WVSX's participation in our forums) stopped ! Another 3 months passed before WVSX finally reappeared in both forums to briefly relate a change in their business plans, whereby they were now totally concentrating on commercial markets. :cautious:

Last edited:
Reactions: plat and Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
In other words, we were duped into being a substantial part of their program development and beta-testing with false promises!
But that’s why more critical thinking is needed. A software issuer comes out of the blue offering you this free, amazing goodie. Oh my God!

But who are they, where are they located, who’s at the team, where the funding comes from and many, many, many other questions… what about them?
The website hardly answered any of these.

Should users really rush to these “amazing goodies” without even thinking or should they trust other companies that have been in the business since the 90s? What’s WiseVector gonna bring to the table that they, with their millions and billions can’t?

More critical thinking in the future would save a lot of people a lot of disappointment and will prevent them from being “guinea pigs”.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
For me:
1.- Bitdefender Free Antivirus
2.- Avast/Avg Free Antivirus ( but i hate the broadware :( , slow the system).
3. Kaspersky Free Antivirus or cloud
4. 360 Antivirus with broadware.
Greetings.
pd:
something that catches my attention is that Kaspersky is the only av that works with its interface in 32 bits but its internal modules in 64 bits, which seems strange to me and secondly, it is the only av with an exit button.

pvsurfer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
But that’s why more critical thinking is needed. A software issuer comes out of the blue offering you this free, amazing goodie. Oh my God!

But who are they, where are they located, who’s at the team, where the funding comes from and many, many, many other questions… what about them?

Should users really rush to these “amazing goodies” without even thinking or should they trust other companies that have been in the business since the 90s? What’s WiseVector gonna bring to the table that they, with their millions and billions can’t?

More critical thinking in the future would save a lot of people a lot of disappointment and will prevent them from being “guinea pigs”.
Right on (but hindsight is 20 - 20)! WVSX wasn't the first time I've been 'conned' - but I sure hope it will be the last time. :censored:

Last edited:

pvsurfer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
For me:
1.- Bitdefender Free Antivirus
2.- Avast/Avg Free Antivirus ( but i hate the broadware :( , slow the system).
3. Kaspersky Free Antivirus or cloud
4. 360 Antivirus with broadware.
I share your choice for # 1 -- using it since the beginning of the year. Though I pass on your 3rd and 4th choices (not too eager to place trust in any software under the influence of the PROC or Putin) !

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I share your choice for # 1 -- using it since the beginning of the year. Though I pass on your 3rd and 4th choices (not too eager to place trust in any software under the influence of the PROC or Putin) !
And yet you trusted WiseVector under the CCP? 😀
A “tweeting bird” recently told me Kaspersky and Norton are 1000000x more trustworthy, better and widely used. And they’ve been around for a while.
In the USA and UK, Norton can be purchased from every supermarket, it’s near the till. Where was WiseVector sold?

pvsurfer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
And yet you trusted WiseVector under the CCP? 😀
A “tweeting bird” recently told me Kaspersky and Norton are 1000000x more trustworthy, better and widely used. And they’ve been around for a while.
In the USA and UK, Norton can be purchased from every supermarket, it’s near the till. Where was WiseVector sold?
WVSX was a very important lesson in that regard - at least for me. And I have no problem with Norton (other than not offering a free version)?

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
WVSX was a very important lesson in that regard - at least for me. And I have no problem with Norton (other than not offering a free version)?
It would be naive to have a problem with them, considering they (Gen Digital) are being installed under an OS (Windows) which is developed in the same region and also has a more global access than your AV.

Yes, Norton doesn’t appreciate freeloading. This is one way to maintain product quality — by asking everyone to reach into their pockets.

pvsurfer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
It would be naive to have a problem with them, considering they (Gen Digital) are being installed under an OS (Windows) which is developed in the same region and also has a more global access than your AV.

Yes, Norton doesn’t appreciate freeloading. This is one way to maintain product quality — by asking everyone to reach into their pockets.
I really don't understand your first comment?

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

A lot of people here like being the guinea pig, it gives them something new to play with and the opportunity to possibly learn something in the process.

There is always a program that is the "flavour of the month" where it comes onto the scene and everyone and their dog has to try it out and rave about if for the next 6 months or so, in 2 or 3 years you hardly hear about it anymore, ala WiseVector.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.