Best Free Antivirus for Linux?

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I have been using Zorin OS which is based on Ubuntu for a few weeks on my laptop. I was wondering if there was any free antivirus software on Linux? I looked it up online and it seems Sophos, F-prot, Comodo are all abandoned so it is quite sad. It seems like the only free antivirus is Clam AV but I am not sure it has real-time protection or not. Or do people think a firewall that is built-in is enough for Linux?

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
AFAIK the only free AV for linux is Clam AV as you mention. I've never used AV in Linux and never regretted it. If you install updates from the official repositories, use the built-in firewall at default-deny, and harden the browser, then you should be perfectly fine, at least in my opinion based on my experience using Linux on-and-off over the years.

If you want to be a bit adventurous and really raise the security bar for your browser and what not, then firejail is a nice Linux sandboxing utility:

https://firejail.wordpress.com/

I wouldn't be surprised if it's already available in one of the Zorin default repositories.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
It is unfortunate that the mainstream consumer AV brands (Kaspersky, Norton etc) don't include Linux as part of their multi-device licences for Windows, Android etc.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
What are you trying to achieve by using an AV? If your machine sends/receives files from Windows or macOS then it makes sense, but otherwise you're wasting your time and resources.

Secure your network, use DNS-over-HTTPS, consider a VPN, enable simple firewall to block inbound connections, keep your OS and all of your apps updated (literally just sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y) as well as the auto-update settings, secure your browser and you're pretty much done.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I have been using Zorin OS which is based on Ubuntu for a few weeks on my laptop. I was wondering if there was any free antivirus software on Linux? I looked it up online and it seems Sophos, F-prot, Comodo are all abandoned so it is quite sad. It seems like the only free antivirus is Clam AV but I am not sure it has real-time protection or not. Or do people think a firewall that is built-in is enough for Linux?
There is another free antivirus that you did not mention - FortiClient for Linux. FortiClient Linux Product Downloads Information

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The field of malware detection for linux is not so developed, and the market for paying AV subscribers is very small. Due to those two factors, there is no attractive AV solution for linux. Most linux users simply don't bother with it at all, as far as I can tell. If you are running a server, you need to be careful. But home users running linux are not typically targeted.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.