Battle Best Free Combo to prevent Infections (No Traditional AV)

Compare list
hard configurator + comodo firewall + secureaplus (UV disabled+ apex not real time protection+reg as antivirus)
hard configurator + comodo firewall + avast free (only file prot. with HM)
hard configurator + spyshelter + secureaplus (UV disabled+ apex not real time protection+reg as antivirus)
hard configurator + spyshelter + avast free (only file prot. with HM)
hard configurator + huorong IS (Host Reinforcement set to deny+Custom rules)
Others
In-depth Comparison

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Cloud av can be ok but must have some other things too... for example secureaplus is a default deny with whitelist approach... avast with just file protection and with HM aggressive block all that is untrusted (correct me if i am wrong)...quihoo 360 if i remember correctly have nice features and can be used with only cloud av... in short words dont wanna nothing that rely totally or almost totally on signatures, (specially local signatures)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Cloud av can be ok but must have some other things too... for example secureaplus is a default deny with whitelist approach... avast with just file protection and with HM aggressive block all that is untrusted (correct me if i am wrong)...quihoo 360 if i remember correctly have nice features and can be used with only cloud av... in short words dont wanna nothing that rely totally or almost totally on signatures, (specially local signatures)
I understand brother, imo signatures is the bread & butter of nearly all AV companies (excluding AI/Cloud), however as this is your choice I'll help you in this manner.

If you're looking for something light, you could do this as a setup:

Native system
- Hard Configure + Configure Defender (ask @Andy Ful for help)
I feel that you would not need any AV if you have this covered, seems like you know what you maybe looking for

Browser
- Bitdefender Trafficlight (AV in browser)
- Netcraft (optional) for phishing links
- Scriptsafe (block/unblock scripts on the go in the browser)
- Adblock extension of your choice
The above would have everything covered, scripts, .exes, phishing, malvertising etc

Firewall
- Using Tinywall or Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control for better control of settings inside Window Firewall, the learning curve for either is easy and good to use

With the above you're covered with most of the above, very light and also contains no signatures as you stated.

~LDogg

Last edited:

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Prefer avoid windows defender (100mb memory, tradition av, etc)... i was using sap without real time av and registered as av for no have antivirus. I was considering Avast only for the HM. Some times ago i was using spyshelter free + wise vector with no av.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Browser side i consider my self covered. I am using edge chromium with skip redirect (avoid mid pages), smart https (force https on sites), popup strict (block window.open), ghostery (for ads and privacy block), ublock origins (my own filter list for cosmetics).
Firewall side i use comodo( something near cruelcomodo setup), or spyshelter, or simplewall, depend what setup i am using.
For example from yesterday i have @Andy Ful hard configurator all at max settings(firewall, antivirus,etc almost all selected) with simplewall for manage outbounds (the only one i found work properly with all hard configurator selected).

Step 1

Level 3
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Windows Defender with Configure Defender and Hard Configurator, built in protection that is light and effective, no 3rd party solutions that may cause issues.
100% agree.

Anyway, if you like to have more layers of defense, I would go with Windows Defender + Hard Configurator + SecureAPlus, but, INMHO, sometimes less is more

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Depends on windows version if it's home use hard configurator
If pro use group policy /applocker
I really don't recommend it but since no av disable windows defender
Although its very strong with configure defender .
It won't help much performance disabling it on high end to midrange pcs
Only very low end ones that barely run windows i would recommend

Browser side i consider my self covered. I am using edge chromium with skip redirect (avoid mid pages), smart https (force https on sites), popup strict (block window.open), ghostery (for ads and privacy block), ublock origins (my own filter list for cosmetics).
Firewall side i use comodo( something near cruelcomodo setup), or spyshelter, or simplewall, depend what setup i am using.
For example from yesterday i have @Andy Ful hard configurator all at max settings(firewall, antivirus,etc almost all selected) with simplewall for manage outbounds (the only one i found work properly with all hard configurator selected).
Overkill use only comodo CS /cruelike
Or hard configurator + simple wall

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Windows Defender with Configure Defender and Hard Configurator, built in protection that is light and effective, no 3rd party solutions that may cause issues.
Haha....@Andy's apps are not MS apps :LOL:
@Chri.Mi ...do you know SpyShelter...right?...stay with him and add Sandboxie. A little bit of brain and something for backup will be probably enough good.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo firewall with auto-container, id like internet security config over cs settings + any light av

If you plan going comodo firewall just install whole cis since the antivirus is local scanner and resource usage comparing to other antiviruses is pretty minimal ( they do know it themself and cis is light because they trust on auto container)

Against phishing sites this is kinda useless so bitdefender trafficlight/ netcrafT/ malwarebytes browser guard on browser should be installed and browser hardened

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
But if u should avoid traditionals av (so no windows defender! xD), allowing eventually just cloud based av with some other features (antiexe,hips,autocontainment,etc) what setup would u suggest? And with no AV what other software combos would u suggest?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
But if u should avoid traditionals av (so no windows defender! xD), allowing eventually just cloud based av with some other features (antiexe,hips,autocontainment,etc) what setup would u suggest? And with no AV what other software combos would u suggest?
Anything that isn't windows defender usually increases the attack surface
Btw comodo is very bad in this regard the attack surface is massive look at the research at tenable.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

Native
- Immunet (light, Cloud AV) just use w/o Clam AV
- OSArmor (light, Anti-exploit/exe) help can be provided with this
- NVT Syshardener @ default settings (hardens the Windows OS to reduce the attack surface which would of been vulnerable to exploitation

Browser
- You already said you have this covered, so no need to say anything in addition to this thread

Firewall
- Comodo Firewall (auto-containment, HIPs)
or
- Tinywall/Malwarebytes Windows FW Control (as stated in one my previous posts about the reasoning)

Hope this helps, this is a very light configuration and plugs the gaps on everything you was asking/looking for.

~LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
How much good is immunet? Never see much tested this software. Some months ago i installed it but went with a white UI
Just your basic Cloud AV, also has some other features which can be customised as well. There's some YouTube videos covering this, the rest of the threats out there should be covered by your Firewall (depending on choice), browser w/ Bitdefender Trafficlight, OSArmor/Syshardener. It's so easy to run and use, even my Grandparents could use the set up too :p

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.