Best free firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrySun

Level 1
Verified
Jul 8, 2014
Fitting your description for light and smart I recommend Comodo firewall. It's what I currently use, and it is configurable with some extra goodies in it like HIPS and auto-sandbox.

Here is a screenshot of Comodo Firewall free resource usage idling.
http://i.imgur.com/V4IBek4.png

Comodo firewall free: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

Two others that are not smart but are light are Windows Firewall Control and Tinywall. Just because they are not smart firewalls doesn't mean they are not effective, though. Using the recommended settings they work as a whitelist. Only allowing connections from programs that you specify. The drawback to these programs is it is a pain to whitelist many programs that need internet connections.

Windows Firewall Control: http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
Tinywall: http://tinywall.pados.hu/

Edit: You do need a firewall for more security while your machine is connected to the internet. Firewalls are not bulletproof but do add an extra layer of security. This does not mean you have to download a third-party firewall! Windows comes with a firewall preinstalled. Windows 7 and 8 firewalls are good. If you are using XP then you definitely need a third party firewall.

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

Add firewall free depends on how you use your computer . Not many free firewalls and choose the most appropriate depends largely on your antivirus .

For example, when I think of a firewall free the first thing I think is in Comodo , but I 'm using Qihoo 360 TS and I think to avoid duplicating services combines best free ZoneAlarm firewall.

On a computer with limited resources have Privatefirewall + Crystal Security and Xvirus Personal Guard.
Here are some very good compare these products.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455972,00.asp

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall-protection.htm

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

The fact you have to ask if you even need a firewall tells me you are not familiar with them and advising you to grab one of the two most complicated firewalls on the market just does not seem like good advice to me..

First, we need to ask which Operating System you are running, and what you have already for security. Secondly i assume your behind a router with a built in firewall already?

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Thank you for your fast answers, I'm using Windows 8.1 with BitDefender free. Yes, I'm behind router with firewall enabled. I'm familiar with antivirus, but not firewall.
Now I'm trying Online Armor.

Reactions: Sr. Normal
I

illumination

Thank you for your fast answers, I'm using Windows 8.1 with BitDefender free. Yes, I'm behind router with firewall enabled. I'm familiar with antivirus, but not firewall.
Windows firewall would be sufficient on windows 8.1 behind the router, no need to use a third party firewall, especially one that you will have to manually set rules for here and there. Misconfiguring Online Armor will land you in a world of trouble, especially if unfamiliar.

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Windows firewall would be sufficient on windows 8.1 behind the router, no need to use a third party firewall, especially one that you will have to manually set rules for here and there. Misconfiguring Online Armor will land you in a world of trouble, especially if unfamiliar.
Thank you :) I was asking if I need firewall. But I will still try Online Armor, as I want to get familiar with firewalls :)

Reactions: illumination
I

illumination

Thank you :) I was asking if I need firewall. But I will still try Online Armor, as I want to get familiar with firewalls :)
You are welcome. You will be fine with the built in windows firewall.. I would recommend backing up your system and personal files before diving into learning a firewall like OA.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
In my experience, Online Armor has been a very good firewall. However, my PC uses Windows Firewall and it's fine too, so you can live with the default. Never tried Comodo.

Reactions: Kent and david8

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Do you only go to the internet via your router or do you sometimes frequent connecting to public WiFi?
If it's only the first one, then Windows Firewall should be sufficient like others have said. However if there are times when you connect to a public WiFi, then it might be best to install a third-party firewall. Comodo would be a good one, but it requires some knowledge to learn how to use it.

If you're interesting in learning more about firewalls, I'm sure the members here would be more than happy to help you.

Happy internet surfing :)

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Do you only go to the internet via your router or do you sometimes frequent connecting to public WiFi?
If it's only the first one, then Windows Firewall should be sufficient like others have said. However if there are times when you connect to a public WiFi, then it might be best to install a third-party firewall. Comodo would be a good one, but it requires some knowledge to learn how to use it.

If you're interesting in learning more about firewalls, I'm sure the members here would be more than happy to help you.

Happy internet surfing :)
I most connect at home, but also at school. Of coure I have network discovery turned off there. I don't connect on really WiFi networks very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.