Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What's your favorite free image viewer among the list? If the one you're using is not mentioned above, please mention in the comments section below.

After voting in the poll, please mention which one you selected. :)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I use Picasa for viewing and for down and dirty edits. The effects there are adequate enough for my daily needs. Unless I need compositing or anything beyond Picasa's capabilities, I do my edits in Photoshop.

I also use FastStone when I need masks, Xnview for quick format convertions and also for testing Photoshop plugins, and Windows [yeah]

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
FastStone. I'm also using IrfanView and Picasa. :)

Reactions: Kent

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Just for a viewer Windows built-in viewer and Paint work very well for basic tasks.

Viewer with editing, resizing and other enhancement features- I use PicPick since it loads extremely fast.
For photo albums- I use Picasa since it has all of the features of most paid products for free.

Like Huracan said most third-party image viewers take too long to load if you just want to view the image nothing is faster than Windows built-in viewer.

Enjoy!! :D

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Just for a viewer Windows built-in viewer and Paint work very well for basic tasks.

Viewer with editing, resizing and other enhancement features- I use PicPick since it loads extremely fast.
For photo albums- I use Picasa since it has all of the features of most paid products for free.

Like Huracan said most third-party image viewers take too long to load if you just want to view the image nothing is faster than Windows built-in viewer.

Honestly I meant image viewers for reading, organizing and processing (basic) them . Guess I wasn't more clear.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Honestly I meant image viewers for reading, organizing and processing (basic) them . Guess I wasn't more clear.
What you meant was a full photo suite? like Picasa, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Jet Photo Studio, Zoner Free Studio, XnView, etc.
On the poll you have a mixture of other software which are basically only viewers.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

reading - Windows: still fast and furious
organizing - Picasa: easy to search especially if you organize by categories (Album) that spans on multi disks/folders
processing (crop) - Paint includes adding a colored box outline, Picasa
processing (minor edits) - Picasa + basic color correction + text
processing (change format) - Xnview
processing (quick resize) - Powertoy

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
For image viewer nothing better then haozip imageviewer & irfanview, they both supports many file formats then others. Currently using haozip imageviewer & it didn't take too long time . Both window default viewer & haozip imageviewer take same time to load in my system. For basic editing/converting i use irfanview/paint & for advance i use third party software.

Reactions: Kent and Littlebits

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I used IrfanView for many years, but not quite fully happy about it. IF is excellent for some operations like resampling. But simple image viewing is not as good as I would like.

Now it' been some time since I found my favorite: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpegview/
JPEGView - Image Viewer and Editor. This one needs fiddling with a .txt configuration file if you want to tweak some settings (which I did) but this is no harder than reading this post. You can also install and configure it for less tech-savvy users, and it will be a very nice little viewer for them (very simple and easy to use, to-the-point viewer, no BS). The program is very fast, light, configurable (plus you can get "automatic" updates if you use the PortableApps.com edition). #1 for me!

Reactions: Littlebits
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.