Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Choose your favorite media player in the list, especially to play videos. You can choose up to 2 products.

GOM Player
jetVideo
KMPlayer
Light Alloy
MPC-HC
PotPlayer
SMPlayer
QMPlay2
VLC

If you use any other, specify it in this thread. Also do specify which one you use here.

S

Sr. Normal

VLC for several reasons:

- I do not know if any better. I tried PotPlayer and I think as good, but not better. Others I like Gom Player , but not as much as these two.

- I enjoy it on Linux and Windows , without having to waste time to get used to another.

- Is 100 % translated into my language .

- It has never given me a problem in any of the platforms, and have used (like all Linuxerman ) several distros KDE , Xfce , Gnome , Elementary, Deepin ... and has never had the slightest mistake.

MPC also use a portable version and is as light as powerful

Reactions: Kent and frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
VLC for several reasons:

- I do not know if any better. I tried PotPlayer and I think as good, but not better. Others I like Gom Player , but not as much as these two.

- I enjoy it on Linux and Windows , without having to waste time to get used to another.

- It has never given me a problem in any of the platforms, and have used (like all Linuxerman ) several distros KDE , Xfce , Gnome , Elementary, Deepin ... and has never had the slightest mistake.

Do you know how to make VLC remember playback position? I have tried plenty of times to do it but i never could do it.

Reactions: Kent

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
In the past I've tried MPC HC, KMPlayer, GOM Player, Light Alloy, SMPlayer, SPlayer, AllPlayer, ALPlayer, VLC, Zoom Player, BSPlayer, (mv2 player long long time ago :D ), RealPlayer, UMPlayer, Blaze, PowerDVD, Kantaris, JetAudio...
Used every one for at least a month each. And PotPlayer is unbeatable, considering the features, control, playback, capturing. KMPlayer is also (was also) good but now it's crapware. MPC HC on the second place. VLC is good, but it's just don't give me as much control as I need.

S

Sr. Normal

@frogboy I think you misunderstood . As playback position you mean the file location , or if you stop a video and pick up where you were.
File Location:

upload_2014-12-5_13-47-2.png

Resume viewing:

There is a simple solution that you can serve . It is a plug -in available for Windows and Linux that can be downloaded from Sourceforge :
SRPOS simply adds a feature called " Save / restore position of the last played files" within VLC settings can be enabled and disabled without problems.
I've tried it on Linux and works perfectly

upload_2014-12-5_13-48-17.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kent

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
VLC for several reasons:

Me too :) I use VLC as it plays nearly any media file you load in it without issues,no adware,open-source and extensions can be used to enhance it...

Reactions: Sr. Normal

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
In the past I've tried MPC HC, KMPlayer, GOM Player, Light Alloy, SMPlayer, SPlayer, AllPlayer, ALPlayer, VLC, Zoom Player, BSPlayer, (mv2 player long long time ago :D ), RealPlayer, UMPlayer, Blaze, PowerDVD, Kantaris, JetAudio...
Used every one for at least a month each. And PotPlayer is unbeatable, considering the features, control, playback, capturing. KMPlayer is also (was also) good but now it's crapware. MPC HC on the second place. VLC is good, but it's just don't give me as much control as I need.
I agree 101% with that. :D:D:D

@frogboy I think you misunderstood . As playback position you mean the file location , or if you stop a video and pick up where you were.
File Location:

View attachment 35459
Resume viewing:

There is a simple solution that you can serve . It is a plug -in available for Windows and Linux that can be downloaded from Sourceforge :
SRPOS simply adds a feature called " Save / restore position of the last played files" within VLC settings can be enabled and disabled without problems.
I've tried it on Linux and works perfectly

View attachment 35460
No i mean playback position even after multiple restarts of PC over many weeks even.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sr. Normal and Kent

reyes

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2013
To me my favorite player is always Powerdvd with some tweaks (but its paid)
Also loved Splash Pro(paid, also development is in hold)
as i said above its always MPC-HC (don't install any codec pack just install MPC-HC from here http://mpc-hc.org/ ) (may not be an eyecandy but still the best out there).......... can't beat its stability and Hardware acceleration. I have tried VLC earlier, but Hardware acceleration was buggy.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
PotPlayer Rocks:cool:
When I was also searching for a alternative media player, long ago i also created a thread for the suggestions, i got many answers recommending Potplayer, indeed i don't remember who actually explained about the PotPlayer, but if i did i would really thank him for suggesting this program. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.