Best Free & Paid OpenVPN Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I've been looking around for the best free and paid OpenVPN clients. My current router even supports openVPN. So I'd like to get something stable, safe, and anonymous. Absolutely anonymous but maintain my current upstream/downstream speeds as well. I've used several of the ones suggested on here and I did not like them I noticed weird connection intrusions whilst using them. So I keep going back to non VPN. I considered PIA or another client like it... I was wondering what others were using and why they were using it and whether its paid or free? Thankyou appreciate all the input.

D

Deleted member 178

open VPN with VPN Gate server importation : free and fast ; it is what im using.

you also SoftEther: a client made of the merge of OpenVPN with VPNgate , secured but it add service in the background.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I've tried VPNGate and the American server was where i kept getting strange intrusions off of according to comodo... Was using vpn gate client vpngate-client-v4.19-9599-beta-2015.10.19...

H

hjlbx

I've been looking around for the best free and paid OpenVPN clients. My current router even supports openVPN. So I'd like to get something stable, safe, and anonymous. Absolutely anonymous but maintain my current upstream/downstream speeds as well. I've used several of the ones suggested on here and I did not like them I noticed weird connection intrusions whilst using them. So I keep going back to non VPN. I considered PIA or another client like it... I was wondering what others were using and why they were using it and whether its paid or free? Thankyou appreciate all the input.

If you want better-than-average anonymity, then CryptoStorm VPN.

CryptoStorm is as close as you're gonna get without having to do a lot of inconvenient things to reach "absolute" anonymity.

H

hjlbx

I've tried VPNGate and the American server was where i kept getting strange intrusions off of according to comodo... Was using vpn gate client vpngate-client-v4.19-9599-beta-2015.10.19...

Strange intrusions ?

You received incoming connections that COMODO alerted to ?

If so, by default\design, COMODO will alert to any and all incoming connections... even for apps with matching firewall rules.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Strange intrusions ?

You received incoming connections that COMODO alerted to ?

If so, by default\design, COMODO will alert to any and all incoming connections... even for apps with matching firewall rules.
Yeah it blocked the intrusions but I'd have nothing running and I was testing it and all of the sudden I got several block intrusions. I tried again several more blocked intrusions and it was always when the vpn for whatever reason would strangely disconnect itself. I have done a clean slate since then so I can't say a few weeks ago I think I was getting MITM'd so can't say if it was the VPN or not.

H

hjlbx

Yeah it blocked the intrusions but I'd have nothing running and I was testing it and all of the sudden I got several block intrusions. I tried again several more blocked intrusions and it was always when the vpn for whatever reason would strangely disconnect itself. I have done a clean slate since then so I can't say a few weeks ago I think I was getting MITM'd so can't say if it was the VPN or not.

If you choose to use COMODO again, make sure to "Stealth All Ports" and do not enable "Anti-ARP Spoofing."

You should not get any incoming connections. If you do, it will require further investigation.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Had those settings in place should I give it a go again I did a backup tonight already so might as well I guess. CryptoStorm Seems cool and that's a client that will run in the states without speed drop?

H

hjlbx

Had those settings in place should I give it a go again I did a backup tonight already so might as well I guess. CryptoStorm Seems cool and that's a client that will run in the states without speed drop?

The thing with COMODO is that you have to do a clean OS install for best results. If not, you can get weird behaviors - especially if you had a prior security suite installed on your system. COMODO doesn't even like prior installs of itself.

The above is my experience with it - and the likes of others such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, etc.

Any concerns about CryptoStorm you should direct to their staff. If you explain your basic networking configuration to them they will advise if they have encountered any problems - such as speed drops. For $7 US it is worth "kicking the tires..."

Speed drops could be the result of a whole lot of things not related to the VPN service itself.

H

hjlbx

Cryptostorm (beta) Review - BestVPN.com
cryptostorm review and its a shady business as far as I can see

If you want the greatest degree of "anonymity" then you will deal with a lot of "shadiness."

Unfortunately, it comes with the territory.

There's a lot of "shady" activity on the CryptoStorm platform because everyone that uses it wants to remain anonymous.

It is not a rip-off.

It is not for the novice or typical user that wants anonymity; it is for the really advanced user that is extremely serious and committed to remaining anonymous.

Next best thing is JonDoNym \ JonDoFox - but it is expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Well I figured I'd give a follow up on Crypto Storm:
Ok so after a week of testing CryptoStorm I am rather happy with it. I paid the 6$ for one month just to test it and so far I see no Data leaks at all I've been running it non stop since hjlbx suggested it to me. Given you have the option to basically test it which is awesome I might add I went ahead and purchased it for a month. If I test a server close to where it says I am I get about 30Mbps vs the 100 I'd get if I was not on the VPN but I honestly notice no difference since I currently only have my workstation using this VPN. Now If I were to put my torrent box on this I'd notice a big difference in upstream data I'd imagine. But as far as it being safe well if its not a honeypot it's safe! Hard to say if its a honeypot or not. Also like to add that even If I select a certain server I don't necessarily get that server. I selected Seattle the server I'm connected to right this second is in Las Vegas hosted by Versaweb, LLC! So It's kind of a hit or miss with the VPN. I've tried connecting to all their servers and they work just fine for the most part. I would recommend this for anonymity again (if it's not a honeypot, which it very well may be given the history of those that run it). I notice no difference in downloading either b/c for the most part most servers wont even go as fast as I can download given low bandwidth usage in my area.

Maybe I'll do a review with all the testing on the VPN I've done so far?

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I also wanted to add: the only way to keep it from data leaking requires me to disable webrtc otherwise there is a data leak. I've read a lot about it and the only way to keep webrtc from leaking my lan address is to disable it. Now you can do that one of two ways on firefox. Manually: Type about:config into firefox or cyberfox. Go down to media.peerconnection.enabled set the value to false. Or in cyberfox go into options/Privacy/Disable WebRTC Peer Connection. It's possible to fix in chrome though, or so I've read. Basically you'd add a preference that disables the use of local IPs in WebRTC. I don't use chrome though so If someone has a fix for webrtc in cyberfox and or a way for me to write a simple script for it please let me know? Easy enough to write this script I just don't know how to add to a browser I've never tried to be honest. I'll do some googling but lmk maybe I'd have to make an extension to load the script I'm not exactly sure how the architecture works in the given framework... Google here I come:D Well I've seen a few options such as greecemonkey script creator I have no idea though hopefully one of our programmers can point me in the right direction? I just want to create a simple script. Just like the one created for chrome; its easy programming and extremely easy to replicate in just about any language. I can do it in C C++ python java whatever. I just needs something that will load the script for me after I write it?

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I sometimes use VPN keys Free, more than enough for my needs. It supports PPTP/OpenVPN as well.Their Privacy Policy suits me, no tieups with your IP.
Yeah looks nice with unrestricted bandwidth not a fan of the monthly thing though. I'd rather pay with digital currency and do you have any data leaks using that vpn? https://ipleak.net/ just wondering? I am gonna test a few out the suggestions and see which one I like best. Crypto Storm works for anonymity for sure as long as it is what the claim...Hard to prove that. Though after doing all the general honeypot testing it seems not to be... The server responds as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.