Best free VPN software available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I've used SecurityKISS, OkayFreedom and CyberGhost, but the one I found to the most convenient for myself is ZenMate. It's one the easiest browser extensions to find (support for other browsers coming soon), download and install without conflicting with your OS or drivers. Uninstallation is very easy too.. it's browser extension.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate-for-google-chrome/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme

Zenmate is slow & sometimes my pages keep loading for many seconds & takes time to load specially with Chinese IP, useless for me.

Reactions: Venustus

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
:D:D my mean anything i download:rolleyes:
Yeah yeah...
inception_meme__1_.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ok, that explains why I rarely notice slow downs and to contradict myself, I notice a slowdown on Youtube.com when I forget to disable the extension. :D

A lot of the time, I only use a VPN when required, so I do not need to be connected to a VPN to watch Youtube videos, downloading .torrent files or viewing the forums. There is simply no need, from my point of view anyway.

The only time I do use ZenMate is when I'm not at home, or not using my home network. I use it more for security than privacy.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I'm experiencing some kind of problem. ie after installing any VPN software I am not able to connect to internet properly, only google and its services loads, not even MT, FB , TW loads. As I was facing that problem I restored my pc from a restore point. and now available for this msg. Help me.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Ok, that explains why I rarely notice slow downs and to contradict myself, I notice a slowdown on Youtube.com when I forget to disable the extension. :D

A lot of the time, I only use a VPN when required, so I do not need to be connected to a VPN to watch Youtube videos, downloading .torrent files or viewing the forums. There is simply no need, from my point of view anyway.

The only time I do use ZenMate, is when I'm not at home or not using my home network. I use it more for security than privacy.
a valid good point ,i want to encrypt my connection for simple privacy also to unblock sites, that's why i use it :D

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I'm experiencing some kind of problem. ie after installing any VPN software I am not able to connect to internet properly, only google and its services loads, not even MT, FB , TW loads. As I was facing that problem I restored my pc from a restore point. and now available for this msg. Help me.
after restore, can u connect to ur Internet properly?

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Try Zenmate (just an extension), i am sure that you will never switch to any other VPN after using Zenmate.

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
I use SecurityKiss mainly, VpnBook is an good free one, but many think it's an honeypot VPN, so if you're doing anything that may be illegal be careful.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Tunnel bear isn't anonymity enough from what I read, please correct if me I wrong, AFAIK tunnel bear has bandwith limited with the free version, Security kiss is good, they also has bandwith limited 300mb per day, well that's enough if you only use it for surfing internet (not streaming videos on youtube etc)

As for me, my favorite is Vpnbook, been using it for daily use since 6 months ago, they had no limit and good speed.
Zenmate is good, but I face the same problem like Koroke San did, spotflux is also good, that's my secondary vpn for daily use if vpnbook server down. Okayfreedom free version has bandwith limit too, and cannot be considered use it for daily use

And for anyone that faced slow down internet while using VPN, try using any internet accelerator software, like Ashampoo internet optimizer, here is the link for giveaway not sure if still exist. Credits belongs to Boramurdar, Thanks!!

http://malwaretips.com/threads/ashampoo-20-software-products-for-free.18538/

Regarding from my experience, I always using VPN for browsing, my internet being slow, and when I try Ashampoo internet accelerator from the link above, it's really worked. Now I almost cannot feel the difference between using VPN or not, it almost no impact, perhaps anyone can try it if you want. And since VPN installing a new adapter on windows, ashampoo internet accelerator detect it, just optimize it, don't forget to reboot and done :)

As for OP, if you have problem with open vpn software, on desktop right click the program, choose properties. On Compatibility tab, tick/check "Run this program as administrator", also when install it, instead of double click it, right click the installler and run as administrator, regarding from my experience, your problem (Error creating HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenVPN-GUI Key) it was due the previous version isn't uninstalled properly and there is some file left on your machine. Take a note even this is your first installation with open vpn, there are many vpn service out there that using open vpn software too, I forgot which one it is.

Solution : Either you reinstall the program and make sure there is nothing left, once it's done, you need to reboot, and make sure you reboot, there is no shortcut here :p then install it again using method that Boramurdar posted.

And IF you still face any problem, try Vpn book PPTP service.

Just in case you interested :

First open http://www.vpnbook.com/ and choose PPTP

711oqp.jpg

Then open control panel --> Network and internet --> Network and sharing centre
Under "Change your network setting" choose set up a new connection or network

6jjyir.png

On the next window choose Connect to a workplace

spkmjd.png

Next, choose "No, create a new connection" if prompted

kyrzr.png

Next choose Use my internet connection

nd4yzp.png

Now go the page, and copy the server address, as for this example I choose europe server

biovgi.png

Once you copy the server address, go to control panel again, and paste the address at the column, remember to tick/chek "Remember my crudentials" then choose Create

2luw4r9.png

Wait a couple seconds, once it's done, click on your computer icon on the bottom right corner, you will see there is a new connection.

4zw95x.png

Connect now and insert the username and the password (both are on the website)

Once done, check your IP address, and voila!

1zgw2n4.png

PS : This method also works for every VPN PPTP connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.