Best free VPN software available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Tunnel bear isn't anonymity enough from what I read, please correct if me I wrong, AFAIK tunnel bear has bandwith limited with the free version, Security kiss is good, they also has bandwith limited 300mb per day, well that's enough if you only use it for surfing internet (not streaming videos on youtube etc)

As for me, my favorite is Vpnbook, been using it for daily use since 6 months ago, they had no limit and good speed.
Zenmate is good, but I face the same problem like Koroke San did, spotflux is also good, that's my secondary vpn for daily use if vpnbook server down. Okayfreedom free version has bandwith limit too, and cannot be considered use it for daily use

And for anyone that faced slow down internet while using VPN, try using any internet accelerator software, like Ashampoo internet optimizer, here is the link for giveaway not sure if still exist. Credits belongs to Boramurdar, Thanks!!

http://malwaretips.com/threads/ashampoo-20-software-products-for-free.18538/

Regarding from my experience, I always using VPN for browsing, my internet being slow, and when I try Ashampoo internet accelerator from the link above, it's really worked. Now I almost cannot feel the difference between using VPN or not, it almost no impact, perhaps anyone can try it if you want. And since VPN installing a new adapter on windows, ashampoo internet accelerator detect it, just optimize it, don't forget to reboot and done :)

As for OP, if you have problem with open vpn software, on desktop right click the program, choose properties. On Compatibility tab, tick/check "Run this program as administrator", also when install it, instead of double click it, right click the installler and run as administrator, regarding from my experience, your problem (Error creating HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenVPN-GUI Key) it was due the previous version isn't uninstalled properly and there is some file left on your machine. Take a note even this is your first installation with open vpn, there are many vpn service out there that using open vpn software too, I forgot which one it is.

Solution : Either you reinstall the program and make sure there is nothing left, once it's done, you need to reboot, and make sure you reboot, there is no shortcut here :p then install it again using method that Boramurdar posted.

And IF you still face any problem, try Vpn book PPTP service.

Just in case you interested :

First open http://www.vpnbook.com/ and choose PPTP

711oqp.jpg

Then open control panel --> Network and internet --> Network and sharing centre
Under "Change your network setting" choose set up a new connection or network

6jjyir.png

On the next window choose Connect to a workplace

spkmjd.png

Next, choose "No, create a new connection" if prompted

kyrzr.png

Next choose Use my internet connection

nd4yzp.png

Now go the page, and copy the server address, as for this example I choose europe server

biovgi.png

Once you copy the server address, go to control panel again, and paste the address at the column, remember to tick/chek "Remember my crudentials" then choose Create

2luw4r9.png

Wait a couple seconds, once it's done, click on your computer icon on the bottom right corner, you will see there is a new connection.

4zw95x.png

Connect now and insert the username and the password (both are on the website)

Once done, check your IP address, and voila!

1zgw2n4.png

PS : This method also works for every VPN PPTP connection

2014_04_04_07_13_16_VPN_Connection_Properties.png

Setting suggested by the official Website.
Before changing these setting My Speed Test Result was 0.39Mbps but after changing these setting My Speed Test result was 0.52Mbps

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well I finally figured out and added open VPN, its working good, I have also added zenmate for chrome just as an alternative option!
Thank u all for ur help.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
When ever I connect to open vpn, I'm not able to access any site, except google, not even Dnsleaktest.com , what would be the issue:confused:?
Eset firewall window popups to choose network I will opt for private network because i'm using a wireless datacard:cool:.
when connected through zenmate I can access every site, but the speed is reduced by 50% or more. :(

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
When ever I connect to open vpn, I'm not able to access any site, except google, not even Dnsleaktest.com , what would be the issue:confused:?
Eset firewall window popups to choose network I will opt for private network because i'm using a wireless datacard:cool:.
when connected through zenmate I can access every site, but the speed is reduced by 50% or more. :(

Today only i tried VPN Book & its working nice. Try VPN Book.

Reactions: yigido

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
@MrExplorer
Ha! nice information, I don't know about that, yes it is indeed improve the speed, thanks!

@purshupro

Good to hear that you managed installed and connect properly to vpn, about your problem I have no idea, sounds like firewall or hardware issues, but I'm not sure, haven't face that problem before, sorry I can't help :(

Zenmate reduce my speed too, that's why I prefer vpn, I hope with solution that I and MrExplorer mentioned above can help improve the speed

Reactions: Venustus

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Tunnel bear isn't anonymity enough from what I read, please correct if me I wrong, AFAIK tunnel bear has bandwith limited with the free version, Security kiss is good, they also has bandwith limited 300mb per day, well that's enough if you only use it for surfing internet (not streaming videos on youtube etc)

As for me, my favorite is Vpnbook, been using it for daily use since 6 months ago, they had no limit and good speed.
Zenmate is good, but I face the same problem like Koroke San did, spotflux is also good, that's my secondary vpn for daily use if vpnbook server down. Okayfreedom free version has bandwith limit too, and cannot be considered use it for daily use

And for anyone that faced slow down internet while using VPN, try using any internet accelerator software, like Ashampoo internet optimizer, here is the link for giveaway not sure if still exist. Credits belongs to Boramurdar, Thanks!!

http://malwaretips.com/threads/ashampoo-20-software-products-for-free.18538/

Regarding from my experience, I always using VPN for browsing, my internet being slow, and when I try Ashampoo internet accelerator from the link above, it's really worked. Now I almost cannot feel the difference between using VPN or not, it almost no impact, perhaps anyone can try it if you want. And since VPN installing a new adapter on windows, ashampoo internet accelerator detect it, just optimize it, don't forget to reboot and done :)

As for OP, if you have problem with open vpn software, on desktop right click the program, choose properties. On Compatibility tab, tick/check "Run this program as administrator", also when install it, instead of double click it, right click the installler and run as administrator, regarding from my experience, your problem (Error creating HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenVPN-GUI Key) it was due the previous version isn't uninstalled properly and there is some file left on your machine. Take a note even this is your first installation with open vpn, there are many vpn service out there that using open vpn software too, I forgot which one it is.

Solution : Either you reinstall the program and make sure there is nothing left, once it's done, you need to reboot, and make sure you reboot, there is no shortcut here :p then install it again using method that Boramurdar posted.

And IF you still face any problem, try Vpn book PPTP service.

Just in case you interested :

First open http://www.vpnbook.com/ and choose PPTP

711oqp.jpg

Then open control panel --> Network and internet --> Network and sharing centre
Under "Change your network setting" choose set up a new connection or network

6jjyir.png

On the next window choose Connect to a workplace

spkmjd.png

Next, choose "No, create a new connection" if prompted

kyrzr.png

Next choose Use my internet connection

nd4yzp.png

Now go the page, and copy the server address, as for this example I choose europe server

biovgi.png

Once you copy the server address, go to control panel again, and paste the address at the column, remember to tick/chek "Remember my crudentials" then choose Create

2luw4r9.png

Wait a couple seconds, once it's done, click on your computer icon on the bottom right corner, you will see there is a new connection.

4zw95x.png

Connect now and insert the username and the password (both are on the website)

Once done, check your IP address, and voila!

1zgw2n4.png

PS : This method also works for every VPN PPTP connection
Just tried this(VPNBook) and know what, its working great, and I just uninstalled all VPN softwares.
As @Huracan stated I also tried zenmate, its good but reduces the Bandwidth speed.
So is VPNBook Servers safe?

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Nice to hear that :)
I've been using it since 6 months, and it's safe from my personal experience, as long we use it for good use I guess. One thing though, p2p isn't allowed with the free service. However I would suggest using paid service later if you want. Vpnbook is also on the top list of free vpn, they got income from donation from what I know. Also if you concern about better privacy, make sure your ISP isn't on the list when you open dnsleaktest.com

Venhiem

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
Steganos online shield is not perfect. i get a 1 yr key in giveway & it's won't even connect!
What VPN right now i'm using is fast & never feel any slowdown. it's totally free & i can choose servers plus it's sever not located in USA which is good & it's server close to my country which is also good. the one thing is they kept some logs & will give them to court, police if anyone use their VPN servers for illegal purpose. well i not much concern about it coz i surf net normally, if i really much concern about privacy then i'll use paid VPN coz free VPN are useless. anyways i like this vpn coz it fast & never gives any problems, also it has AES 256-bit and RSA 4096-bit encryptions :D

Whats the name of this VPN? You didn't mention?

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Just tried this(VPNBook) and know what, its working great, and I just uninstalled all VPN softwares.
As @Huracan stated I also tried zenmate, its good but reduces the Bandwidth speed.
So is VPNBook Servers safe?

Good to see that VPNBook is working fine for you & it is working fine for me also.

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

ytbro00

Level 1
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Cyberghost is nice and has good speeds. But recently vpnbook is topping them off. Haven't really tried it myself but I might give it a whirl.

W

wordsmith

okayfreedom...a product of steganos software but works better than steganos online shield i.m.h.o..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.