Advice Request Best light, Stable and Chromium based browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avoid developers who do not periodically update their Chromium-based browsers. All modern browsers, implement HTML5 including Edge. Some browser have their own plugins for PDF viewing and Flash Player, are you looking for these features?

For Chromium - Chromium - The Chromium Projects

Opera - Download Opera for computers - Opera

Google Chrome - Chrome Browser
For 64-bit click on Download Chrome for another platform
Download Chrome x64.png

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
In terms of very active and stable browsers using Chromium... I could only at this time recommend Slimjet. The beta supports the latest engine and is very stable as far as I see. Cent Browser is also a good one with similar goals to Slimjet however has been updated since November of last year. However if you look at the forums, you'll see the dev is very active and seems to be planning a new release soon.

Would recommend Vivaldi however it's not really ready for serious use. Was using the x64 (experiment at this time unlike x86 (32bit)) and it stopped working completely after 2 or 3 days of use. Recommend waiting for that one but should be a great browser.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I used to love Comodo Dragon for it's Icon and it's features, but the time I used it, it used to drag behind Chrome releases. In terms of security (updates), I was a bit anxious... I now love Chrome configured to not save my browser history and to not leave referrers. Also equipped with some extensions. It's ok to use, don't know if it's the most lightweight, but definitely the most user friendly browser to me.

Avoid developers who do not periodically update their Chromium-based browsers. All modern browsers, implement HTML5 including Edge. Some browser have their own plugins for PDF viewing and Flash Player, are you looking for these features?

For Chromium - Chromium - The Chromium Projects

Opera - Download Opera for computers - Opera

Google Chrome - Chrome Browser
For 64-bit click on Download Chrome for another platform
View attachment 80197

+1

Last edited:
N

NOLF92

Ty all for fast answers guys!!!From what I´ve read untill now...I will try Slimjet browser.I´ve used Chrome and It is good but I dont agree when people say It is lightweight :D.
Sorry bad english

Native Chrome is a tad bit heavy, but a lot of the chromium alternatives were purposely made to make it less heavy, including Slimjet.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The largest team behind the actual bug tracking and patching is supported by Google. So basically and currently, the best Chromium is still Google Chrome, followed by Opera Browser.
I haven't seen any other Chromium Browser that keeps track with them, and yes I check latest versions almost everyday on Softpedia, Majorgeeks, TechSpot and Neowin

N

NOLF92

The largest team behind the actual bug tracking and patching is supported by Google. So basically and currently, the best Chromium is still Google Chrome, followed by Opera Browser.
I haven't seen any other Chromium Browser that keeps track with them, and yes I check latest versions almost everyday on Softpedia, Majorgeeks, TechSpot and Neowin

Just because Google Chrome native has the largest team, that automatically makes it the best Chromium-based browser? Furthermore, just because a browser is constantly updated, that necessarily mean it's improving? I've seen zero attempt by them to increase privacy, or fix the bloat. I make no claims that Slimjet is the best browser, but it clearly runs faster, takes less resources, and is more private, than Chrome native.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Just because Google Chrome native has the largest team, that automatically makes it the best Chromium-based browser?
Short version => Yes
Longer version => As Google authored a quite of portion of Chromium Project, actively developmenting it, yes in terms of security and optimization without losing on usability they make the best Chromium Browser available.
Furthermore, just because a browser is constantly updated, that necessarily mean it's improving?
Again yes, tho updated software follows updated hardware so if you're running it under older components it might seem heavy sometimes. You can actually see their wast bug tracking list. Of course, in every software there is Murphy's law of "one bug more", sometimes critical sometimes not
I've seen zero attempt by them to increase privacy, or fix the bloat
Privacy and internet don't come together as they don't love each other. Practical thing... and financial of course. Privacy on internet is an illusion.

I

illumination

I guess I'm not understanding.. Google Chrome, heavy, slow? How old are the systems some of you are running ? On my system, Google Chrome and Edge are the two fastest browsers I have run. While I'm a Firefox user from years ago, I can still attest to it being heavier then chrome ect. As far as security, Google most definitely stays on top of these exploitable flaws unlike many off branches of Chromium. Privacy, well as Bora just stated, and I know you all have seen me post before, there is no such thing..

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
In my opinion,
1) No chromium browser would have the fastest update than Chrome. (I never seen yet other chromium browser have the updates while Chrome doesn't)
2) All browser is light (how heavy can it be?)

Perhaps, lightness (or heaviness) is secondary for me. What matters me is whether the browser able to open/download the webpage i wanted to and also the response time. That would be my primary. And Native x64 Chrome so far serve me very well :)

N

NOLF92

Privacy and internet don't come together as they don't love each other. Practical thing... and financial of course. Privacy on internet is an illusion.

It's only an illusion if we allow it to be so, no?

@illumination -- for a browser, yeah, it is. Heaviness aside the point, it's a highly intrusive browser, which is why Slimjet and others have worked tirelessly to reduce data sent to Google, as well as to prevent computer information/IP's from being leaked to prying hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Der.Reisende
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.