Advice Request Best light, Stable and Chromium based browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

It's only an illusion if we allow it to be so, no?

@illumination -- for a browser, yeah, it is. Heaviness aside the point, it's a highly intrusive browser, which is why Slimjet and others have worked tirelessly to reduce data sent to Google, as well as to prevent computer information/IP's from being leaked to prying hands.
Applications on your system are collecting data, the moment you step foot on the internet your ISP begins collecting, shall I go on, its a long list.

I used this analogy once before, and it still applies, as serious common sense..

When you step out of your house into public, do you expect to be able to do things and not be seen?
Why then would you consider the internet any different that going out into public, as that is exactly what you are doing.

N

NOLF92

I
Applications on your system are collecting data, the moment you step foot on the internet your ISP begins collecting, shall I go on, its a long list.

I used this analogy once before, and it still applies, as serious common sense..

When you step out of your house into public, do you expect to be able to do things and not be seen?
Why then would you consider the internet any different that going out into public, as that is exactly what you are doing.

Like the internet, I make sure I don't walk out into any questionable neighborhoods without taking precautions, even though it doesn't totally reduce the risk of me being mugged. I'm not denying that we can't 100% prevent our privacy/personal information from being exposed to strangers, but we should continue to work tirelessly to reduce that risk. The illusion is thinking that we shouldn't be concerned about our privacy on the internet, even to the point of paranoia, especially with identity theft and other things at an all-time high.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

Very nice analogy! In summary, internet has no privacy. The best privacy you can ever get is your own room.

Anyway for browsers, I have little faith for privacy, but I agree they are slowly improving. Lets just wait for more improvement then! :)

PS: @illumination I like your "mutated" light spidey on your siggy. :D

I

illumination

I

Like the internet, I make sure I don't walk out into any questionable neighborhoods without taking precautions, even though it doesn't totally reduce the risk of me being mugged. I'm not denying that we can't 100% prevent our privacy/personal information from being exposed to strangers, but we should continue to work tirelessly to reduce that risk. The illusion is thinking that we shouldn't be concerned about our privacy on the internet, even to the point of paranoia, especially with identity theft and other things at an all-time high.
It goes without saying that when you divulge information on the internet you should do so using common sense, just like you would in public. Paranoia on the other hand is not needed. People not using Google because it collects user data is just plain silly, when the operating system they are on does the same, and all applications they use on their systems do as well.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
N

NOLF92

It goes without saying that when you divulge information on the internet you should do so using common sense, just like you would in public. Paranoia on the other hand is not needed. People not using Google because it collects user data is just plain silly, when the operating system they are on does the same, and all applications they use on their systems do as well.
I think there's a fine line between Google and small pc applications, and I think you know that. Besides, it's Google, not my Windows Calculator, that could have access to my email, my name, location, bank information, and browsing habits. What could go wrong? Also, I use Google, but I do so with caution, and I don't even bother with their Google account crap (AKA Google+), which IMO has done more damage than anything else in opening up the floodgates to identity theft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Der.Reisende
I

illumination

I think there's a fine line between Google and small pc applications, and I think you know that. Besides, it's Google, not my Windows Calculator, that could have access to my email and other personal information.
There is no fine line between any of these companies. They all have the same common goal of keeping users like you, me and everyone else as potential income period. They all collect data in order to see who is using what, and how. Now I'm off to watch a movie, as exposure to too much tin foil makes me itch..

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Slimjet is faster than Google Chrome, based on my experience.
Security-wise Google Chrome and Chromium(never used it) are probably your best choice.

As for the privacy discussion here. There's a huge difference between saying that the internet has no privacy and that the internet has little privacy.

N

NOLF92

There is no fine line between any of these companies. They all have the same common goal of keeping users like you, me and everyone else as potential income period. They all collect data in order to see who is using what, and how. Now I'm off to watch a movie, as exposure to too much tin foil makes me itch..

Whatever you say.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
It's only an illusion if we allow it to be so, no?

@illumination -- for a browser, yeah, it is. Heaviness aside the point, it's a highly intrusive browser, which is why Slimjet and others have worked tirelessly to reduce data sent to Google, as well as to prevent computer information/IP's from being leaked to prying hands.
Could you provide verifiable evidence that slimjet does not collect your data.?
I assume you know this as a fact.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I haven't had much exposure to Chromium-based browsers, but I have been using SRWare Iron from time to time in Shadow Mode; getting used to it before I install it properly. I cannot remember what Slimjet felt like, but I had used that one from time to time as well. After figuring out how to silence DNS callouts to Google, how to obtain crx files without going to the WebStore, the sheer speed in which the browser actually loads up and loads up pages with disk and memory caches set to off (not going to cover Task Manager entries and memory consumption), compatibility with AdGuard for Windows, and the positive use of target switches in combination with a low number of addons required... might use SRWare Iron for more than just the one or three websites I wanted to use it for.

I must admit, I still laugh at myself when I try to enter about:config in Iron... idiot! :cool:

Reactions: frogboy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just tried Slimjet today. However I experienced an unacceptable result
kaspersky 2016 detected SJ as a malware after I tried to login SJ to my google account for syncing

Kaspersky showed countless notifications with malicious behaviors. SJ then became completely unresponsive and had to be remove manually. I tried to put it into exclusion and reinstall but the malicious behaviors cannot bypass kaspersky so SJ cannot be opened anymore

I reported this bug to SJ. very bad experience

Reactions: DardiM

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I just tried Slimjet today. However I experienced an unacceptable result
kaspersky 2016 detected SJ as a malware after I tried to login SJ to my google account for syncing

Kaspersky showed countless notifications with malicious behaviors. SJ then became completely unresponsive and had to be remove manually. I tried to put it into exclusion and reinstall but the malicious behaviors cannot bypass kaspersky so SJ cannot be opened anymore

I reported this bug to SJ. very bad experience
As you can see here SlimJet is quite clean. Antivirus scan for c5fc746f5cbf58a1f222f8b37bfec354f9cd771ad33c6745d1ae0cac8dccfb69 at 2016-06-11 12:29:35 UTC - VirusTotal

N

Noxx

Google Chrome is the go-to. I liked Slimjet in the past, but it's been slowing down on my end. Another to consider is UC Browser. Extremely fast, good features, but questionable privacy policy. However, I've not personally seen any strange occurrences when I used it, whether it be advertisements, slowdowns, weird redirects, bundled software, etc. It operates out of India, if anyone's wondering.

Reactions: Jack and frogboy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Now I use chrome + WebRTC network limiter (custom setting) -> no more webrtc ip leak, tested with ipleak.net and other websites

some chrome:flags changes to make it even faster.
put cache folder into ramdrive
NOw, I have no complain with chrome besides it may drain more battery and a bit high memory usage

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Chromium based? Opera and Vivaldi. I would not even mention other browsers, maybe slimjet. but opera and vivaldi are by far the most stable and fastes one. specialy opera gets better and better. i myself use opera and vivaldi over chrome anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.