Best Online Banking Set-up with the Security Programs I have

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi, I am looking to set-up my PC so that I have a decent level of security when logging on and using my online bank account.

From the programs I have installed, I am generally just using Sandboxie when doing online banking but I also have Comodo Virtual Kiosk and Shadow Defender installed too. One or more configurations may be safer. I do sometimes use SBIE in Shadow Defender but this is a pain as I am then in Shadow mode until I reboot.

Any guidance for a simple configuration would be most helpful.

Thanks

Andy

Z

ZeroDay

Personally I think if you make sure to keep safe habits whilst using your machine and therefore always keep it infection free you don't need special banking modes, browsers etc. Remember that using a sandbox to take care of online banking assumes that your machine is infected and therefore you need your bank details to be isolated from the rest of your machine, and if you need to sandbox your browser to do banking tasks because your system is infected then you probably need to learn safer computing habits. I'm not saying you have bad computing habits I'm just using that as an example. Don't by into the hype of sandboxed browsers for banking, If theres a compromise on the website that you're entering your bank details into then no sandbox will protect you from that, it'll protect your machine from getting infected but it'll still take your details because the issue is on their side.

In short; Just make sure you keep your machine clean and everything updated and there's no need for sandboxes and special banking browsers.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Check that your browser isn't running strange plugins or extensions, if need be use inPrivate or Incognito mode.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I personally use a feature that is built into Trend Micro Direct Pass called, "Secure Browsing". That works wonders for me.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
And most important, always make sure that you are on your correct banking site before logging on. No security products or secure browsing add-ons will protect you from all phishing fake banking sites. If you accidentally log on to a fake banking site pretending to be yours, then the scammers will know your user name and password.

Use a password manager like LastPass and set it to auto log on to your banking site. Keep your banking site bookmarked for easy access and never click on links in your email claiming to be your banking site.

More banking info is stolen from users by phishing used by fake banking sites then other methods.

Thanks. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.