Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
As we are in to 2023, few of the AV testing websites have published the test results for 2022/2023 based on malware protection, performance and other criteria. Below are the test results I have compiled from these websites.

av.png

Now, let's hear what MT members have to say regarding their analysis and opinion about the best paid internet security software.

Which AV software do you think perform best in terms of real-time protection, online and offline malware protection (detection and block pre-launch and post-launch), ransomware protection, false positives, use of system resources, etc.? It can be one product or combination of different products that provide the best protection.

And which periodic scanners along with the main AV software do you think provide extra security?

Last edited:

Cheeseman

Level 1
Jun 10, 2020
I've used quite a lot of AVs, most (if not all) of them were the Internet Security Editions. When it strictly comes to performance and required resources, the very best was Eset. I used to use Kaspersky and Bitdefender too, both of them ended up reinstalling the entire computer, due to resource usages. Sure they provide more or less the same overall protection as Eset (this isn't a-licking), but at a heftier price. Now I only use Malwarebytes Free edition + Adguard (both which technically aren't AVs, I know and well aware of) which is more than enough for me. I used Avast too, it was okayish for resource hunger, but horrible for protection. The rest I used are lost and forgotten.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Thanks for your hard work, but because the results are so close it is better to zoom-in on the missed samples, like @Andy Ful does in his "it does not matter which Tier-1 / Premium Antivirus you use" threads :) because the differences are marginal, see example below (Avast Free scored in below references 100% while KIS paid scored 99.2% and 99.7%)

AV-Test rewards an antivirus a 6 when it meets the average protection results, better to summarize calculate the missed samples in the under laying score.
For Kaspersky (link) this would: November and December 312 samples total (we don't know the division, so let's assume 50-50) a protection percentage KIS of 99.2% in December would indicate a missed number of samples: 301 X 50% = 150,5. 99,2% of 150,5 = 149,3 so KIS missed 1 sample

AV-Comparatives stars (*) count is also a very high level indication better mention the total missed in the samples (link) protection percentage KIS of 99,7% for 626 samples total, so KIS blocked 624 samples, so it missed 2 samples (seems to make sense AV-Comparatives has roughly twice the number of samples compared to AV-Test and and KIS misses also twice the number of samples of AV-C vs AV-T).

Because of the VirusTotal malware exchange, AI-ML, post-infection telemetry and cloud protection, only a few people have the questionable honor to be the first victim (in a herd you don't need to outrun the lions, you only have to be faster than someone else in the herd to survive). The irony of IT becoming a critical infrastructure makes companies a much more interesting target for malware writers than consumers. In the last 10 years I have not heard of any relative, friend or distant acquaintance complained of being infected, while I know that at least two of my friends owning an company have been attacked (one website hack and one partly successfull ransomware infection).

Last edited by a moderator:

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Mixing free and paid home versions, and on top of that business and enterprise versions in the screenshot, is a sure recipe for confusion and a end result that sadly will become skewed.
Not to mention most people are not aware that for business, that’s just one out of the many products that need to be purchased. Best to leave the business portfolios and not to deal with them.

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
And my greater concern above what AV I'm using is this last sentence from @Max90 post:
"In the last 10 years I have not heard of any relative, friend or distant acquaintance complained of being infected, while I know that at least two of my friends owning an company have been attacked (one website hack and one partly successfull ransomware infection)".

We all here pretty much know what to do and have for personal security protection, but the greater money now (millions) is regarding ransomware with businesses, organizations etc, and what are they doing to protect themselves and their user database, that we have no control of?

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Mixing free and paid home versions, and on top of that business and enterprise versions in the screenshot, is a sure recipe for confusion and a end result that sadly will become skewed.
I just made a list from the test results posted on those sites, so it got mixed up since they did not separate free and paid ones in their results. As for the enterprise versions, Mrg--effitas had not tested other home versions, or maybe I did not find on their site (though I searched there).

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I just made a list from the test results posted on those sites, so it got mixed up since they did not separate free and paid ones in their results. As for the enterprise versions, Mrg--effitas had not tested other home versions, or maybe I did not find on their site (though I searched there).

You talk about paid version for individuals, you should have removed the enterprise versions (including Endpoint) in your capture :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
my greater concern above what AV I'm using is this last sentence from @Max90 post:
"In the last 10 years I have not heard of any relative, friend or distant acquaintance complained of being infected

3. How do they know?
Most malware does not show signs of infection. How do people actually know their systems never got infected?
People who think they can outsmart malware, are often not using an AV that could alert them either.

Member @struppigel is a professional malware analyst at the AV company GData.

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

Member @struppigel is a professional malware analyst at the AV company GData.
Thank you, good thread link. i.e. never let our guard down, or become complacent.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I find Kaspersky the best anti malware. Bitdefender, G Data, Avast and others is maybe just as good or better, but I have not tried any of them. I use Eset, because it's performance is so smooth, and have been documented so long with good protection.

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I would also include the stability of the AV as far as the annoyance factor. Some AV's are more prone to glitches, and some run more stably.
For some of the years I've used Kaspersky, it seemed very stable. I don't remember having to uninstall, reinstall or repair it due to a module problem or of a setting changing or disabling.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I don't take a lot of notice of comparative sites to be honest, out of all AV's I use F-Secure, I can't say how effective it is as I've not had in infection for use a least 20 years & that was a worm - F-Secure is stable & simplistic I would also stick Emsisoft & ESET on my list too, I've never had issues with either of those.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.