Battle Best program for traced/monitored installation of other programs?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I don't want to bother with tracing every new installation, but I want to do it with media programs that tend to appropriate to themselves a lot of extension defaults and with programs that make huge numbers of additions to the registry and file system, such as a new AV I'm about to install.

I am not inclined to use a tracing log for uninstalling just blindly. I have Revo Pro, and I used it to trace an installation. But I checked back, and all I've got is a ".ruel" file. I could not find any way of opening and reading that file. I didn't use it for uninstalling the program because I can't blindly trust it won't uninstall any of the wrong things.

In this situation I am very concerned about not removing things on my system unrelated to the installation, so I would rather make selective manual use of an installation log rather than doing an automated uninstall that I'm not able to preview. A program with installation logs in plain English is obviously preferred.

I'm most interested in the registry changes, so I wouldn't disdain a program that looks only at them.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I am not inclined to use a tracing log for uninstalling just blindly. I have Revo Pro, and I used it to trace an installation. But I checked back, and all I've got is a ".ruel" file. I could not find any way of opening and reading that file. I didn't use it for uninstalling the program because I can't blindly trust it won't uninstall any of the wrong things.
In Revo, you can review/edit the installer logs before using them to remove a product. If you only have the *.ruel file, you can import it into Revo and review/edit it before use. There's no need to blindly trust.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi @conceptualclarity
If you want know the list of changes after some events in system you can use System Explorer and its feature called "Snapshots" - descritpion you'll find here
Features - Snapshots
Here is main window of snapshots...you can choose what you want to trace
snapshot 1.jpg
The result of comparing two snapshots is shown as the tree or list
snapshot 2.jpg

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you gentlemen, for very helpful answers.

In Revo, you can review/edit the installer logs before using them to remove a product. If you only have the *.ruel file, you can import it into Revo and review/edit it before use. There's no need to blindly trust.

Thank you, Telos. I checked back and found you are right. I right-click on the specific traced program icon and click on "Edit Log".

Here is a program by makers of Sandboxie. I used to use inctrl5 but it is around anymore

SandboxDiff - Registry/Files changes - Sandboxie Support

Thanks. Can one use it when not sandboxing?

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Sfinley

May 6, 2016
I noticed your post about Advanced Uninstaller Pro (v11.25) and wanted to ask you what features did they remove from later versions and if you are still using this version?

I am just setting up a new pc and wanted a little guidance in the uninstaller category. I've been using Revo for a few years and so far pretty happy with it. But I wanted a 2nd/backup also.

And if you do not mind....your thoughts on Binisoft Windows Firewall Control or BitDefender or Comodo Firewall? (Presently using Binisoft but purchased Bitdefender because of the reviews but haven't installed it yet.

Thanks.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
And if you do not mind....your thoughts on Binisoft Windows Firewall Control or BitDefender or Comodo Firewall? (Presently using Binisoft but purchased Bitdefender because of the reviews but haven't installed it yet.
Binisoft has been absorbed by Malwarebytes... so I consider that one "off the table".

L

Local Host

I noticed your post about Advanced Uninstaller Pro (v11.25) and wanted to ask you what features did they remove from later versions and if you are still using this version?

I am just setting up a new pc and wanted a little guidance in the uninstaller category. I've been using Revo for a few years and so far pretty happy with it. But I wanted a 2nd/backup also.

Thanks.
Binisoft Windows Firewall Control is gone, I found GlassWire as an alternative (is paid though).

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.