New Update Using uninstaller tool by AV/AM company for AV/AM removal and cleaning

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just fyi.

Last nignt my Avast Premium Security crashed. I downloaded and used its Avast cleaning tool to remove and clean.

Recently I also downloaded McAfee cleaning too to remove McAfee as well

In both cases I thought the cleaning tools would give 100% clean result as compared to 3rd-party ones like Revo etc since they are from their own company.

However, after cleaning, I checked with Everything tool and there are still some registry remnants left behind.

So, using the company's removal and cleaning too does NOT really give a 100% clean result.

And I also tried out using Revo Uninstaller Pro' s traced function to removed SBIE+ which I traced during installation.

Sure enough, registry remnants still remain after I checked with Everything tool

Total Uninstall uninstaller (which has a Monitored Programs function) is reputed to be the best paid uninstaller in removing and cleaning of programs. Wonder how it works with AV/AM? Anyone has experience in that?

from its website
Total Uninstaller is packed with all the features to completely remove the app, leftover files & services, effectively reclaim drive space, fix install errors, improve startup & program response speed, and the overall stability of your Windows PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Total Uninstaller is not worth using. I've tested it and it's not very good. However, it is a different product to Total Uninstall, which is excellent and is what I use. They've given it a similar name, so that people looking for Total Uninstall, may think it's the same product. I've used pretty much every uninstaller there is and my my opinion Total Uninstall is the best. However one issue is that while it can account for all files and registry keys created when you install a product, it won't have a record of any created after the program is installed and the monitoring has been completed. This is an issue for all uninstallers that use monitoring or snapshots. However it does do a scan for additional leftovers after it has removed any leftovers it has a record of, which often can find some extra files and or registry keys to delete, but may not find everything. This scan works the same as Revo, HiBit etc, when they uninstall software they don't have a record of.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Total Uninstaller is not worth using. I've tested it and it's not very good. However, it is a different product to Total Uninstall, which is excellent and is what I use. They've given it a similar name, so that people looking for Total Uninstall, may think it's the same product. I've used pretty much every uninstaller there is and my my opinion Total Uninstall is the best. However one issue is that while it can account for all files and registry keys created when you install a product, it won't have a record of any created after the program is installed and the monitoring has been completed. This is an issue for all uninstallers that use monitoring or snapshots. However it does do a scan for additional leftovers after it has removed any leftovers it has a record of, which often can find some extra files and or registry keys to delete, but may not find everything. This scan works the same as Revo, HiBit etc, when they uninstall software they don't have a record of.

Sorrry I made a mistake in the website link. Should be Total Uninstall from

Link already corrected

Reactions: Trident

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Yup. I used Everything tool to find the balanced unremoved remnants. I did clean manually from the registry/path to them but some seem to be untouchables i.e. cannot be deleted

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
What most vendor uninstallers do is make sure the most common files and folders are eliminated, drivers are unregistered, and the OS TCP stack is restored to working order, except for ESET uninstaller that may damage the OS network subsystem, including deleting network drivers as I've pointed out in another thread recently.

Manually searching for leftovers is a good idea, using an uninstaller tool may cause some damage to your OS, even if the install was monitored, but normally what is left after a vendor uninstall won't cause any problems in the OS, just waste space.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.