Best Second opinion scanners

What is the best Second opinion scanner that you have used?

• HitmanPro

Votes: 30 28.3%
  • Norton Power Eraser

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • Malwarebytes

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Eset Online Scanner

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Votes: 36 34.0%

• Total voters

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
recommend to buy HitmanPro anymore?
As Azriel stated above, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is preferable by far. As to HMP (which is absolutely horrid against worms and dll dropping RATs) you could instead use Sophos Scan and Clean (free) which has the identical protection as HMP but is just without a few needless Bells and Whistles (and cost).

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
As Azriel stated above, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is preferable by far. As to HMP (which is absolutely horrid against worms and dll dropping RATs) you could instead use Sophos Scan and Clean (free) which has the identical protection as HMP but is just without a few needless Bells and Whistles (and cost).
sidenote fwiw: I tried to download KVRT the other day using MS Edge, and Edge treated KVRT like malware. I had to get it a different way.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
sidenote fwiw: I tried to download KVRT the other day using MS Edge, and Edge treated KVRT like malware. I had to get it a different way.

Wow, really? I did read that Microsoft was blocking downloads of its ISOs in Russia as of June of this year. I wonder if there's a connection, seeing as despite having offices outside of Moscow, many US govt. agencies still boycott K.

No prob. d/l KVRT via Firefox. (y)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool in case you're unfamiliar with Smartscreen, you should be able to 'Keep' the download by clicking through the flyout notification. No way it's blocked unconditionally by M$.
Yes, thanks! I went back to KVRT site with Edge last night and was able to get the download ok. The reason why this is not as easy as it seems (should be) for me, I'm now running online mostly in vmware workstation 16, & for reasons unknown to me, every popup or secondary info screen that opens in vm comes up mostly transparent and basically I just see unreadable blank looking white box. that does not happen in real win10, only in the vm. Video is nvidia something, probably good or very good circa 2017. Hunting to figure that one out, meanwhile I do appreciate tip about Smartscreen. I'll play with it on real win10 and maybe I can better estimate where to click on the vm transparent notification. Other than this video snafu, the vm is working great.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The reason why this is not as easy as it seems (should be) for me, I'm now running online mostly in vmware workstation 16, & for reasons unknown to me, every popup or secondary info screen that opens in vm comes up mostly transparent and basically I just see unreadable blank looking white box. ... that does not happen in real win10, only in the vm. ... I'll play with it on real win10 and mVaybe I can better estimate where to click on the vm transparent notification. Other than this video snafu, the vm is working great.
I don't know why you make life so difficult. Why use a vm?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I don't know why you make life so difficult. Why use a vm?
OT reply: actually vm works great! except for this minor popup video annoyance. :cool: Why? It makes me feel safe(r), isolated, if some mishap I can just revert to last good snapshot. And reading your post about Smartscreen prompted me to contact vmware support and they gave me a few things to try. (the Host win10 uses ESET so I don't see Smartscreen popup on win10 where display is perfect+) & actually2, overall I have simplified the system, and if I do get the urge to try new app or config, I can try with vm and be "relaxed" about it. And I can & have run various Linux vm guest OS. Avoid boredom too :rolleyes: Recently, I have more time to play.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.