Best Security Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alkajak

"Best" is really a personal thing. I've tried many different software to figure out what works for me and the way I use my PC for my daily routine. Luckily, nearly every software has a free trial. Use that to your benefit and try out software that interests you. Looking at your config, you're making daily backups so your files are safe. Your security is good too, you've got an AV, anti-malware, anti-exploit. A little heavy on the Firefox extensions, but to each their own there. :D

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
In my opinion, there is no such thing as a best security config - at least, not for every user.

Whether a config is "the best" depends on many factors:
  • The user's computing/browsing habits (e.g. Do you use the computer only for gaming? Do you like browse the web and tesr new software? etc)
  • The user's computing environment (home PC, enterprise environment, etc)
  • The user's personal demand for increased control over their computer, or for greater ease-of-use, or other demands from the security software they would like to use.
  • ... and quite a few others.
That being said, it is quite difficult to determine the best security config that is going to be suitable for all users.

Although I'm certain the more experienced members here could offer some general recommendations, it would be preferrable if you set some other parameters for this question, since a config that is tailored specifically for a user may be much more effective than a mainstream one.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Shadow Defender and only unfreeze when updating a game then freeze again. No need for Antivirus unless you want to know if you are infected. So run Webroot Secure anywhere for AV.
That way all you have to do is reboot the PC before running any financial transaction otherwise it's very lightweight for gaming.

Why reboot? Well Shadow Defender will revert to a state that was not infected so basically run Shadow Defender in SHADOW mode as soon as you use your PC to just update any software etc without visiting, downloading or executing risky software. That way whenever you reboot you are back to the safe state.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
lol, this is not a question the community can answer for you, it's based on how "you feel"
about the tools "you" employ to protect you. We can give advice, and there's tons of it here on
what to use, its up to you to combine them into a config, or setup thats makes you comfortable,
while keeping your system protected.
Look at configs of those you trust and try out some combos, then come back here and tell "us"
because ultimately only you know what's best for "you"
Each config and answer is going to be as unique as the users themselves.
safe hunting my friend, its a fun journey :)
PeAcE

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I agree with you all I just thought there was a general idea on a basic setup.

N

Noxx

Basically agree with Umbra's philosophy. Just for the sake of giving you my opinion, I think having just one anti-executable and a few on-demand scanners will keep you very safe if you read before you click.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Basically agree with Umbra's philosophy. Just for the sake of giving you my opinion, I think having just one anti-executable and a few on-demand scanners will keep you very safe if you read before you click.

Can you give me a example of a anti-executable and on-demand scanners please ? Just an example though remember. Thanks.

Reason I ask is because I don't know what you mean by anti-executable and on-demand scanners. Sorry. :(

Reactions: Alkajak and Noxx

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Can you put up your config again? There is no such thing as a "best" config. @Umbra is right weather you have one program or a few more you will be fine pared up with some common sense.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Please use the Security Configuration Wizard to ask about improving your OS security. These "what are best" threads are completely pointless without know more about the user's system, intended usage, browsing habits etc.

Topic Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.