Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I'm tinkering with Smart Security 5 and was wondering what are the best settings? I tried interactive but it's way to talkitive for me so any opinions will be appreciated.

FYI I have a few snapshots with different security software installed cause I was bored lol

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Default settings is the best setup for a balance of good protection, less false positives and compatibility for programs.

Thanks.:D

P

Plexx

I have to disagree Littlebits.

ESET Smart Security 5 Default settings has HIPS on Automatic mode, which means Follow rules, if not Allow. Trouble is the only rule present is to load drivers. That means theres no protection whatsoever from their zeroday component.

Please don't simply advise a user to use default settings without actually knowing the product flaws. ESET HIPS default settings flaw exists since version 5 came out. Initially there was no rules either (refer to my first ever post here in the ESET section of the forums). Allow drivers to load was added eventually in one of ESET's version 5 build.

I shall edit the post with my current settings (for firewall I will need to check).

Edit:
Ok here are the settings I use:

HIPS: change to Learning mode for 14 days. Once every action has been learnt, for maximum protection change to Policy Based (Follow rules, if not block), or for some user interaction change to Interactive Mode (Follow rules, if not ask, if not allow on failure to respond to ask).

If you happen to want to uninstall something or install something and you on policy based, change to learning and once done, change it back.

Threatsense: Strictly no cleaning (I like to know whats happening).

Enable Potential Unwanted Programs and Potential Unsafe Programs.

Web module is fine as default.

On firewall component: Ensure that on IDS and advanced options: Allow UPNP for system services in the Trusted zone is ticked (you will need this to stream stuff from xbox and ps3 etc).

As for the firewall mode, you got several options. The best is to read this.

Finally, if you check loveboy_lion and my config pages, you will see some settings etc for optimization (unfortunately you will need to search a bit).

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks Littlebits, but I hate to just leave things alone lol I like to play with the settings.

Thanks Bio, this helped alot...i'll do some reading and if I have anymore questions i'll get back to this thread

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:
Edit:

HIPS: change to Learning mode for 14 days. Once every action has been learnt, for maximum protection change to Policy Based (Follow rules, if not block), or for some user interaction change to Interactive Mode (Follow rules, if not ask, if not allow on failure to respond to ask).

If you happen to want to uninstall something or install something and you on policy based, change to learning and once done, change it back.

On firewall component: Ensure that on IDS and advanced options: Allow UPNP for system services in the Trusted zone is ticked (you will need this to stream stuff from xbox and ps3 etc).

Finally, if you check loveboy_lion and my config pages, you will see some settings etc for optimization (unfortunately you will need to search a bit).

Nice sir i am also having same settings but i dont know how make rules in ESET HIPS & can you please make tutorial how to make Rules in ESET HIPS

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
Unknown said:
Biozfear said:
Edit:

Nice sir i am also having same settings but i dont know how make rules in ESET HIPS & can you please make tutorial how to make Rules in ESET HIPS

There will be a video by Biozfear in video section....here is the link
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-ESET-Antivirus-5-5-2-9-1-with-HIPS-on-Policy-based-Mode-Test-biozfear14

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
maaster said:
There will be a video by Biozfear in video section....here is the link
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-ESET-Antivirus-5-5-2-9-1-with-HIPS-on-Policy-based-Mode-Test-biozfear14

this video is test of ESET HIPS but this does not tell how to make rules

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012

In learning mode rules will be automatically learnt...rules can be found in HIPS-->configure rules..beware to run only trusted applications in learning mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.