Best signature-based detection ratios?

In your opinion, what are the top 3 best signature scan engines? (In order)

These infos are best determined by analyzing various AV test lab reports. Which scan engines have the best signatures depends upon which AV test lab does the testing (for example, AV Comparatives vs AVLab vs Virus Bulletin vs etc), but the general test lab trend is:
  1. Kaspersky
  2. Bitdefender
  3. Avira
Others will disagree I'm sure - based upon Malware Hub test results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
In terms of pure signature based detection rate:

1. Avira

2. Avast

3. ESET

Note that actual protection wise Avira is one among the weakest due to its too much dependency in its signature and cloud :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
bitdefender downloads sigs every hour, kaspersky only a couple times a day (but makes up for it with cloud)

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
I have to say Kaspersky cloud detection is really one of the top ones (aka KSN) but SEP v14 "advance machine learning" and insight/sonar is catching up. In terms of purely signatures , I would say eset,kaspersky and norton (obviously "best detection ratio" is subjective-kaspersky has more signatures generated in less than 24h from the sample being available whereas sep has low FP record-when configured right!)- It depends what you are looking for in you endpoint protection

Reactions: Parsh and Wave

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
eset , avast and AVG have great sigs put when it comes to pup detection eset takes the crown :)
Based on my own testing, for PUP detection, Dr Web is far superior to anything else. ESET does better than just about every other AV, but Dr Web detects many more PUPs.

Reactions: Wave and FrFc1908

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
On personal testing, i'd point out:

• Kaspersky
  • Emsisoft
  • BitDefender
  • GData (i don't know which engine it uses?)
The matter lies on testing independent engines, because a full product may have modules that may make engines detect higher.

Reactions: Parsh

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bitdefender based on independent testing laboratory results.

Best detection doesn't mean it's the best all round, and that's a reason why I don't always recommend Bitdefender to everyone.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
On personal testing, i'd point out:

• Kaspersky
  • Emsisoft
  • BitDefender
  • GData (i don't know which engine it uses?)
The matter lies on testing independent engines, because a full product may have modules that may make engines detect higher.
GData uses an in-house engine alongside BD engine for higher detection.
Same is the case with Fsecure (5 engine levels of detection).

W

Wave

Bitdefender and Avira. Kaspersky also has great static detection, thanks to KSN
Forget KSN, it's not static analysis of the actual files but it's the file reputation (static but not in the same sense of signatures). Kaspersky have very good generic signatures for static analysis and a nice memory scanner, so I agree with you for Kaspersky 100%

I don't even use Kaspersky, never have used on host properly, but I know it's amazing from testing. In fact, Kaspersky have stronger self-defense than all the other products on the market like ESET, Emsisoft, Bitdefender, G-Data, etc. ;)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I don't even use Kaspersky, never have used on host properly, but I know it's amazing from testing. In fact, Kaspersky have stronger self-defense than all the other products on the market like ESET, Emsisoft, Bitdefender, G-Data, etc. ;)
Yeah, Kaspersky is great even without those additional security forces like KSN, though these only improve the probability of detection.
Independent tests have put Norton, Eset and Kaspersky in the forefront for their self-defense.

Reactions: vemn

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.