Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeN

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2011
Appudater
Appupdater provides advanced functionality to Windows, similar to apt-get or yum on Linux. It automates the process of installing and maintaining up to date versions of software programs. It is fully customizable for use in a corporate environment.

FileHippo Update Checker
The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases. These are then neatly displayed in your browser for you to download.Please note that not all programs are supported.

Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave your PC open to attacks.

Software Informer
Software Informer will detect your installed software automatically, and it will display available up-to-date info about your programs.

Belarc Advisor
The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, network inventory, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, security benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

Software Update Monitor (SUMo)
SUMo (Software Update Monitor) keeps your PC up-to-date & safe by using themost recent version of your favorite software !
Unlike built-in auto update features, SUMo tells you if updates are available beforeyou need to use your software.

Update Notifier
The Update Notifier is a small utility that scans your computer for installed software and displays a list of updates. Also you can see the latest updates for applications from your Watch List.

CNET TechTracker
Most of the programs on our computers these days come with automatic updaters that will alert you when a new version is available. If you prefer to be more proactive about your updates, though, there's Update Checker. This simple program will automatically check for updates for a wide variety of programs and alert you when a new version is found. Although most people probably stay pretty up-to-date by letting this task take care of itself, those who like to have more control may find Update Checker useful.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Used FileHippo for a long time but I've switched to Secunia PSI. It detects more programs and the update mechanism is also smoother.

Reactions: yigido

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I don't have a lot of software on my PC, and most of it, already has an auto-update/check built in. I always like to manually check for product updates.
In the past I have used FileHippo Update Checker, however it wasn't really need it, so I've uninstall it.

Reactions: Oxygen

alexp79

Level 2
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
I also don't have a lot of software on my PC, I use filehippo since years and kinda like it; it's really light and usefull for most common app (all adobe, VLC, skype, ccleaner..), ; some others are not supported like stream, iobit uninstaller etc..some are update via samsung update tool on my computer.
The only hectic things to update are drivers like intel, AMD as samsung website is not up to date and AMD, intel tools are not often efficient but on other end if all works i don't see updating drivers as a must

For secunia, i used it by the past but found it too heavy.

D

Deleted member 21043

lol if chocolate cakes it's interesting;)but still offtopic
I eat all sorts of cakes. Chocolate cakes, biscuit cakes? I don't know.
I eat so many I am a chocolate cake.

French fancy cakes and doughnuts will always win. End of.

Reactions: alexp79

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
None of them can be relied on to catch everything, so I think you need more than one. I also wish they wouldn't tell me I still have the old version of this or that program when in fact I updated it.

Having said that, SUMo is unquestionably superior at finding all you have that needs updating. Secunia may be second best. UpdateStar is also pretty good.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A little bit old thread but very well done considering the nice vote in the start. I did consider reply to others but I liked this the most. Hope it's ok :)

Secunia PSI I been using for years and never really had any issues other then a few hickups on some softwares and there language versions. Easy to exclude those and just remember to manually update instead. I never use Secunias automatic start and update but rather instead start the proggy and scan by hand. Similar with how I treat Windows update as I want a chance to see what it updates before and not after.

Reactions: MalwareT
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.