Advice Request Best time to update graphic drivers?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Check the changelog of the drivers, if it fix some OS/games/etc bugs, then for sure go and update. If it fix some games bugs that you dont play, then its kinda useless to update. I'll update every three months(depending on the changelog for sure).

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
I usually update my graphics drivers as soon as new versions are released, mainly because they can bring performance improvements and security fixes. If a problem were to occur, it wouldn't be a big deal, as you can boot into safe mode to uninstall the driver. But I've never had a problem with an NVIDIA driver update from what I can remember

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I used to never be current because I seriously hated installing Nvidia drviers. In Windows v. 1809, I got these hardware errors, like "firefox exe was blocked from accessing graphics hardware," along with several WHEA loggers. So, the only uninstaller software I'll tolerate is Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) which whacked the corrupted Nvidia driver and associated junk out in safe mode, plus I got like 1.5 GB additional disk space back. Absolute latest driver for my GTX 1080--mmmm, I wait a couple of weeks until it's "safe" but better to stay pretty current. I only clean-install the latest Nvidia graphics driver. No GeForce Experience, no audio, nuttin'.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I only update for compatibility or security. So with every new version of Windows 10. Especially Nvidia is crazy if they think I will update their stupid 400 MB drivers every month.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Why in earth you want to need ittity-bitty-tiny-driver-cheker? Zeesus...:D
Oh that Nvidia "Experience" software. :)
-sepik

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
When is a good time to update, if you don't buy the latest games?
Never. I like to keep everything updated to the latest bestest thing, but when I upgraded laptop's the latest GPU driver, it failed to boot, since the driver was just compatible, but not supported. So in your case, if you do not have any problems, do not even bother.

Why in earth you want to need ittity-bitty-tiny-driver-cheker? Zeesus...:D
Because it will help you to find the correct driver. Like AMD has APU drivers, which are meant to be used with 2 GPUs, etc. The default AMD checker will offer you the latest driver, which can cause problem, if both GPUs are not running the same driver version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.