Advice Request Best way to customize Android

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 and I want a clean, unbloated experience. I don't need the stock YouTube app and the stock Music app and the games and other preinstalled stuff. I do need gmail, camera, whatsapp, waze, SMS, and a few other apps that I actually use.
What's the best way to do this? Should I install a custom ROM? Should I uninstall unwanted apps (not so easy with system apps), or what?
Is it possible to buy a blank phone and only install what I want?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Should I uninstall unwanted apps (not so easy with system apps), or what?
I always uninstall what I don't need, and if it's not possible to uninstall then I disable them. As you said, you can install a custom ROM, but is it really worth all the hassle for a few apps that you don't need? If I were you, I would uninstall what I don't need and disable the rest.
You can also try an app like Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner to see if they can help.

YouTube app

I use Youtube Vanced so this is disabled on my phone.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've just tried to uninstall the Youtube app with Ccleaner, and even if it shows the Uninstall option...it can't do it. It just clears the cache.

Screenshot_20220717-094908_CCleaner.jpgScreenshot_20220717-094915_CCleaner.jpgScreenshot_20220717-094931_Package installer.jpg

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I wouldn't install custom ROM for daily usage, it's pretty much always buggy.
I would prefer to use ADB to either uninstall or disable system apps. Google apps are easy to disable, MIUI apps sometime give trouble.
This is why I went for stock Android for my father's phone, no bloat at all. And Google apps can be disabled easily without ADB

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I wouldn't install custom ROM for daily usage, it's pretty much always buggy.
I would prefer to use ADB to either uninstall or disable system apps. Google apps are easy to disable, MIUI apps sometime give trouble.
This is why I went for stock Android for my father's phone, no bloat at all. And Google apps can be disabled easily without ADB
What is ADB, and is stock Android a form of custom ROM?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
What is ADB, and is stock Android a form of custom ROM?
ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, think of it as "Run as Admin" on Windows (Kinda but not really). It doesn't void warranty, doesn't root the phone & doesn't unlock the bootloader. But you still have to be careful running cmds with it.

Stock Android is what Google intended for Android to be, with only Google apps pre-installed (plus 1-2 OEM app as well) with some minor customization by OEM (eg. Moto)

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, think of it as "Run as Admin" on Windows (Kinda but not really). It doesn't void warranty, doesn't root the phone & doesn't unlock the bootloader. But you still have to be careful running cmds with it.

Stock Android is what Google intended for Android to be, with only Google apps pre-installed (plus 1-2 OEM app as well) with some minor customization by OEM (eg. Moto)
If you install stock android, maybe there are issues with camera and mic and other hardware components? I have a Xaiomi phone.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you install stock android, maybe there are issues with camera and mic and other hardware components? I have a Xaiomi phone.
I meant I would rather buy phones that come with stock Android pre-installed like in case of Moto & Nokia.
Edit 1: There are custom ROMs which are mostly stock Android but have same issue as all other custom ROMs aka Bugs.
Edit 2: Think of Stock Android as Windows Clean install vs OEM factory image full of bloatware, except in case of Android you can't clean install it

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.