Best Windows version for an old PC (2GB RAM)?

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I have one PC with 2 GB RAM running Win 10 and it runs quite okay. But its used mostly for office applications and some occasional web browsing.
A lot depends on what programs you are going to use.
But I will not suggest using Win 10 on older PCs.

P.S. - XP was the best. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have one PC with 2 GB RAM running Win 10 and it runs quite okay. But its used mostly for office applications and some occasional web browsing.
A lot depends on what programs you are going to use.
But I will not suggest using Win 10 on older PCs.

P.S. - XP was the best. :D
It's the web browsing that strains the RAM. I have an old desktop running Windows 7 that is not connected to the internet, and it would do fine with 2 GB RAM, although it has 4.
Modern browsers and modern browsing habits eat a lot of RAM.

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
My mom has a 2GB RAM Win 10 Home embedded notebook. It can run acceptably. My advice: don't use MS Office, use something lighter like WPS or Softmaker Office. Set CCleaner to clean every boot.

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Believe me, any machine bought before Windows 10 came out will work better on Windows 7 than Windows 10. Windows 8.1 isn't an option, much like Vista was. As I see that you have DDR2 RAM, and that's way before Windows 10 saw the light, Windows 7 is all way go.
Need mentioning, first Windows 10 builds are noticeably faster than the latest Windows 10 builds, but for the sake of security and partial compatibility, it's always recommended to use the latest Windows version, which can bring pain to HDDs like yours.

DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3 and DDR4 so, my recommendation, use that machine as long as Windows 7 is supported by Microsoft, save some money and buy yourself a modern machine with modern CPU, SSD, and DDR4 (maybe DDR5 in the future) and go with Windows 10.

Another option is Lubuntu.

L

Local Host

Believe me, any machine bought before Windows 10 came out will work better on Windows 7 than Windows 10. Windows 8.1 isn't an option, much like Vista was. As I see that you have DDR2 RAM, and that's way before Windows 10 saw the light, Windows 7 is all way go.
Need mentioning, first Windows 10 builds are noticeably faster than the latest Windows 10 builds, but for the sake of security and partial compatibility, it's always recommended to use the latest Windows version, which can bring pain to HDDs like yours.

DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3 and DDR4 so, my recommendation, use that machine as long as Windows 7 is supported by Microsoft, save some money and buy yourself a modern machine with modern CPU, SSD, and DDR4 (maybe DDR5 in the future) and go with Windows 10.

Another option is Lubuntu.
This makes no sense, nor is a SSD required to run Windows 10 perfectly fine.

Just the fact Widnows 10 is more stable than Windows 7 is enough to ground Windows 7, after a year of running Windows 7 it will run much slower than a Windows 10 running that same year (without upgrades).

Plus between buying more DDR2 RAM and a whole new computer, we're talking thousands of cash in difference.

Windows 10 supports all the hardware that Windows 7 supports and further, in fact it even has more drivers available and further optimization in place (even for older hardware).

Not to mention the end of support of Windows 7, there's no reason to use Windows 7 outside personal preference. Claiming Windows 8.1 is the same as Windows Vista goes even further from the truth, as Windows 8.1 is faster than Windows 7 and even Windows 10 in some instances.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
This makes no sense, nor is a SSD required to run Windows 10 perfectly fine.
I didn't say it will not work, just SSD nowadays with modern processes and modern apps is recommended
Just the fact Widnows 10 is more stable than Windows 7 is enough to ground Windows 7, after a year of running Windows 7 it will run much slower than a Windows 10 running that same year (without upgrades).
I wouldn't agree, especially with last 2-3 big Windows featured updates broke thousands of computers. It doesn't make sense that Windows 10 with all its components can run faster, except if a machine is a high end.
Plus between buying more DDR2 RAM and a whole new computer, we're talking thousands of cash in difference.
You can buy a perfectly fine computer for 400euros or dollars.
Windows 10 supports all the hardware that Windows 7 supports and further, in fact it even has more drivers available and further optimization in place (even for older hardware).
Again, not true. Google a little about Intel's integrated graphics components and their support drop.
Not to mention the end of support of Windows 7, there's no reason to use Windows 7 outside personal preference.
There's still plenty of time until an end of the road for Windows 7.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Although I have proper arguments and evidence against all that, I'm not going to waste my time nor patience while derailing this topic.

OP can use whatever he wants, is my vacation and I rather rest my head.
It wouldn't be natural if all agree about everything, but agree to disagree sometimes.
Have a nice vacation! :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Depends. If the PC is going to remain offline, then you can have whatever OS you want.

However, if you are going to use it online, then I wouldn't recommend bothering with Windows 7 since support is going to end soon. Since you said you were going to add more RAM, then Windows 10 might run better now. If not, then at least with Windows 8.1 you have a few more years of support.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Funny how things work. I test computers and turned on an old XP computer (E6400 core 2 duo) a few days ago. Been working with it and so on. So I wake up and read this thread :D. DONT install Windows XP. I am having a great time with it, because I have sunk so much time and energy into the installation, but no way would I recommend this to anyone. The PC is fast and great fun for all purposes on one level or another.

That said working on this PC is the most fun I have had in quite some time with computers. Here's why. When I turned it on back a few days ago, Avast updated and the new avast secure browser runs amazingly in XP...like perfect. That was good, but I had an idea. I have pieces of an old installation of XP, and I wanted to see if I could take a look at that PC state from the pieces. It's not ISO, just Program Files, Documents and Settings, and a Registry Backup. So I wanted to remember what it was like in 2012 for me when I was testing so many softs (over 200 softs installed). Pulled the XP drive that I normally use, installed XP on another and then copied the directories I have over the new ones from a rescue environment. Sure enough it worked. It was a war zone of course no programs worked at first. I got some to work, etc., but I could see that I couldn't piece it together for an image worthy PC state. Basically, seeing how much software I had to run to manage XP in those days, I could not wait to nuke that drive. And I did. I did a low level format on the drive and put it back in the closet for safe usage later. I am sure glad those days are over for me, but really it was still fun. So happy I could plop this drive back in with its modded look for XP and be right back where I was before.

Just funny to me how this came up, but don't use an older OS unless you are dedicated to "science" and ready for difficulties over the long term. Even if you keep the drivers handy for the old Windows, you may find that changes out of your control force you to Linux. Linux is no party OK, but it works. I installed it in dual boot on a PC here about a week ago. It's good, but it doesn't make me want to go in and use it instead of Windows. I like this XP install with all the limitations better than the Linux one (Manjaro).

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@AtlBo
I have done some experimenting with Windows XP and its latest Posready updates myself a few days ago.(On single core CPU, 1Gb DDR1 RAM and 160gb HDD). Maybe I create a separate thread to reveal my findings, as this is not the right topic for it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.